Were we really that bad in 2015?

yngwie1995

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, TigerOne said:

it comes down to poor coaching

While I can't argue that Gus is still learning the head coaching gig, and he may have been able to do some things differently last year, to slow some of the bleeding from all of the injuries and other issues effecting the team, you can't tell me that you truly believe that the 2013 national coach of the year who has run some of the most prolific offenses in NCAA history and was, until last year, one of the most consistent offensive minds in college football, suddenly forgot how to coach.  

On 8/19/2016 at 3:20 PM, lionheartkc said:

If 1 happened, we would have had a great year. If 2 happened, the D would have come along faster, but I don't know that it would have saved us in a couple of games.  I can say I would have loved to have seen Carl vs Fournette last year.  I can imagine him watching the footage of Matthews getting abused and thinking "let's see him try that with me".

Well, Mr. Lawson is about to get his wish in just one short month.....in his own house.  WDE!

15 minutes ago, keesler said:

Well, Mr. Lawson is about to get his wish in just one short month.....in his own house.  WDE!

Yes indeed... I hope both are 100%. Should be a battle for the ages.

I agree with the OP point. We lost six games, four of those games by 8 points or less. But we also almost lost to Jax State, so we did have some serious problems.

Our overall offensive production was poor. We were 94th in the FBS (out of 128 teams) in offensive yards per game. This compares with 17th in 2014 and 7th in 2013. To put numbers to it, we produced 370 yards per game in 2015, compared to 485 in 2014. We also saw our points per game drop by 8 points, 27.5 in 2015 compared to 35.5 in 2014.

So we needed 115 more yards per game in offense to match 2014, which could have resulted in 8 more points per game, which might have turned some of those four close games into wins.

Why were we unable to generate those 115 yards? I think it was our poor passing game. It made us one-dimensional, especially in the red zone.

On 8/19/2016 at 0:09 PM, cole256 said:

We stacked the box against lsu and they ran all over us. In 2014 arky and Tenn stacked the box in back to back games and we passed like 6 times in two games. In 2011 we played South C and running was the only thing we could do. You at least make them stop you first....we defiantly stopped running on multiple occasions when it was working against Georgia. And we didn't have any type of passing game against Memphis but we had a back running angry

I think you are referring to 2013 (we didn't play TN in 2014). It is true TN stacked the box, but TN was poor at defending the inside zone read, but we also had an incredible option game. When TN started scraping the inside LB to try to stop Marshall, we made the LB the read defender, and took the game to another level. They never could figure out what was going on. On one play one defender was being read, the next play the same defender was being blocked and another defender was being read. That game was a clinic in the zone read.

20 minutes ago, meh130 said:

I think you are referring to 2013 (we didn't play TN in 2014). It is true TN stacked the box, but TN was poor at defending the inside zone read, but we also had an incredible option game. When TN started scraping the inside LB to try to stop Marshall, we made the LB the read defender, and took the game to another level. They never could figure out what was going on. On one play one defender was being read, the next play the same defender was being blocked and another defender was being read. That game was a clinic in the zone read.

UT wasn't the only team poor at defending the zone-read that year.  

When I dream of AU offensive football, I dream of 2013.  It's a good dream.....

Archived