If not Gus then whom?

War Knight

31 minutes ago, DAG said:

Logical? How?

P.J. Fleck has a 20-21 overall coaching record and ZERO experience in power 5 conferences as a coordinator or HC. In fact, he has never, ever been a coordinator. Yes, he got WM better. It is completely different coaching in the SEC than the MAC. I believe Gus could do very well in the MAC, too. Does he even have any recruiting ties down here at all? No more training wheel coaches.

Logical because of the money.  Don't forget that we will be on the hook for a large buyout, so paying top dollar for a coach may not make financial sense.

As for Fleck, you are looking at an overall record and not the whole story.  He inherited a dumpster fire at Western Michigan.  Since arriving, his record has gotten better every year going 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, and 3-0 this year with a win over a Power 5 team.  WMU is widely regarded as the favorite to win their conference this year.  Compare that trend with our current head coach and ask which one you'd rather have?

Regarding recruiting ties, that's incredibly overrated.  Stoops had no ties to Oklahoma when he went there and has built them up.  Urban Meyer had zero affiliation with Florida or anywhere near the South.  He coached in two smaller conferences, including the MAC, before jumping to the SEC.  I'd say he did OK too.  Fleck has proven to be a pretty solid recruiter at WMU by having the #1 class in the MAC last year.  If you've ever been to Kalamazoo, you would understand how hard that is to pull off.

Before getting lost in one name, look at the overall point of my post.  And then, before demeaning an example I throw out, please do your research.

Finally, I'm not comparing Fleck to these coaches or saying "he's the next Meyer".  I'm just saying that your points above have very obvious flaws by giving real life examples.

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Logical because of the money.  Don't forget that we will be on the hook for a large buyout, so paying top dollar for a coach may not make financial sense.

As for Fleck, you are looking at an overall record and not the whole story He inherited a dumpster fire at Western Michigan.  Since arriving, his record has gotten better every year going 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, and 3-0 this year with a win over a Power 5 team.  WMU is widely regarded as the favorite to win their conference this year.

Regarding recruiting ties, that's incredibly overrated.  Stoops had no ties to Oklahoma when he went there and has built them up.  Urban Meyer had zero affiliation with Florida or anywhere near the South He coached in two smaller conferences, including the MAC, before jumping to the SEC.  I'd say he did OK too.  Fleck has proven to be a pretty solid recruiter at WMU by having the #1 class in the MAC last year.  If you've ever been to Kalamazoo, you would understand how hard that is to pull off.

Before getting lost in one name, look at the overall point of my post.  And then, before demeaning an example I throw out, please do your research.

Finally, I'm not comparing Fleck to these coaches or saying "he's the next Meyer".  I'm just saying that your points above have very obvious flaws by giving real life examples.

Nope, I said he got WM better. Ohhh he beat NW. Guess what? They lost to Illinois state too. Maybe we should hire their coach?

Umm, it is OU. I don't care how bad OU is, they are one of the few schools who will always maintain a recruiting prowess. Secondly, Bob Stoops had EXTENSIVE coaching/recruiting experience in the BIG 12. He was the defensive coordinator at Kansas State for four years. He played an integral part in turning that program around. He also went to UF as a DC and won a NC there. He wasn't just some random guy from Gumdrop, Kansas. He had very good credentials. 

Umm Urban Meyer went to UTAH and had two +10 seasons including an undefeated season, where he also won a BCS bowl game. Not hard to see why UF would want him or understand how he could potentially do well down south.  He was the modern day Tom Herman Also, Not everyone is UM. He has also gone to tOSU and been able to recruit down south very well.  Something many of the previous tOSU predecessors could not do. When your boy P.J. wins a BCS game with a non power 5 team, let me know.

And Gus Malzahn was second in the sunbelt in recruiting people to Jonesboro, Arkansas. So what? At the very least, I could say that Gus did lead two different teams to the SEC championship and won one NC.

Lastly, only people who think money is an issue is the people who AREN'T spending any of it. AU football is a business. Trust me, if there is a candidate they want, who they believe they can get, they will find the necessary monetary funds to make it happen.

You wanted research. There you go. Yes, I called you out after you called out others for their opinion on who the next coach should be.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Umm Urban Meyer went to UTAH and had two +10 seasons including an undefeated season, where he also won a BCS bowl game. Not hard to see why UF would want him.  He was the modern day Tom Herman Also, Not everyone is UM. He has also gone to tOSU and been able to recruit down south very well.  Something many of the previous tOSU predecessors could not do. When your boy P.J. wins a BCS game with a non power 5 team, let me know.

Last point I'm making because I've got a concert to hit up tonight.  Utah was in the Mountain West when Meyer was there.  So it would be the same equivalent as hiring a coach from a Group of Five school today.  My entire point about Meyer was that he didn't have southern recruiting ties when hired by UF, which you implied needed to be a prerequisite for hiring any coach.

1 hour ago, Lucy123 said:

Regarding the Baylor law suit..... "If" briles is completely cleared from this case and its determined it was a campus wide systemic issues not a briles issue..... Will you be ok with hiring him?  How soon could he be cleared?

I wonder, though, that if all that happens, would Baylor be scrambling and doing whatever they could to reinstate him?

9 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Last point I'm making because I've got a concert to hit up tonight.  Utah was in the Mountain West when Meyer was there.  So it would be the same equivalent as hiring a coach from a Group of Five school today.  My entire point about Meyer was that he didn't have southern recruiting ties when hired by UF, which you implied needed to be a prerequisite for hiring any coach.

No, it is not an equivalent because UM took a non-power 5 team to a BCS game and WON. Now, you have a point. He didn't have southern ties, but he is also a proven overachiever. Should it be a pre-requisite to coach down here? No. However, it should be a factor unless circumstances say other ALAS you are one of the hottest coaches available in the game. I don't know if Tom Herman has any Southeastern recruiting ties, but I can sure as hell overlook that, since he has proven success at a program like UH. He didn't just beat bad POWER 5 teams. He is beating the cream of the crop. 

I didn't read every post in this thread but I doubt this name was brought up so go ahead and laugh me out of the building .......... John Grass at Jax State ...... Guy has been successful everywhere he has been.  

A logical and painful scenario for Auburn could be Gus as Baylor HC where he produces top 10 caliber teams for a couple decades, doesn't have to fight the SEC West, the Saban era and fans that want him strung up for not beating top 10 teams at home with his top 10 recruiting classes.

1 hour ago, Rsdw78 said:

I didn't read every post in this thread but I doubt this name was brought up so go ahead and laugh me out of the building .......... John Grass at Jax State ...... Guy has been successful everywhere he has been.  

If the 2 last coaching hires did not give me PTSD I would agree. I think he is gonna be at a power 5 school sooner rather than later and do real well to. I just want a sure thing this time around.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

If the 2 last coaching hires did not give me PTSD I would agree. I think he is gonna be at a power 5 school sooner rather than later and do real well to. I just want a sure thing this time around.

I don't think people get this. Unless it is Tom Herman, I seriously doubt we are going to go the way of hiring anybody without some sort of Power 5 coaching experience, specifically head coaching experience.

The only way we reach like that is if we completely miss all of our opening targets. 

1 hour ago, leglessdan said:

I'm just gonna leave this here....

The defenses in the big-12 are nothing like an LSU, bammer, Ole Siss, UF, UT, AU or THUGA.  SEC defenses are on a different level with size, speed, physicality and tackling (especially on the D-line).  OU and Texas probably can compete in that area, but TCU certainly cannot.  In the SEC, every week you are facing NFL caliber people along the front.

However, that doesn't mean Baylor's offense isn't legit.  Gus could definitely use some Briles input in his passing offense and some help with getting our tempo back in action.  The tempo is what impresses me most about Baylor -- they ran over 100 plays in that game and never looked lost doing it.  There was no "meerkating" or other slowdowns. More importantly, they can run tempo and still PASS the football. 

Honestly, though, I like the way Gus runs the ball better than Briles.  Indeed, I think Gus and Briles have opposite strengths.  Gus has a much more in depth running game (and a very simple passing game) while Briles has a much more advanced passing game and a simplistic running game.  I think it would be the perfect marriage for both of them.  Briles learns Gus's wing-T running game stuff and Gus learns Briles' passing offense.

So, here's what I think will happen:  Briles will come (along with Kendall) and take over OC duties.  He will "pull a Muschamp" and stay one year until someone comes calling for a new HC opportunity.  After Art leaves, I think Kendall stays on as OC.  Why?  Because 1) He needs to prove himself out from under his father's wing and 2) He will probably get paid more at AU and 3) Being successful in the SEC looks good on his resume.  Everyone wins.  Gus gets his head outta his azz, Briles might learn a thing or two about the running game, Kendall pads his resume, and AU gets back on a winning track.  Oh, and Briles will get another shot at HC somewhere, just like Muschamp.

6 hours ago, AcUmen said:

The defenses in the big-12 are nothing like an LSU, bammer, Ole Siss, UF, UT, AU or THUGA.  SEC defenses are on a different level with size, speed, physicality and tackling (especially on the D-line).  OU and Texas probably can compete in that area, but TCU certainly cannot.  In the SEC, every week you are facing NFL caliber people along the front.

However, that doesn't mean Baylor's offense isn't legit.  Gus could definitely use some Briles input in his passing offense and some help with getting our tempo back in action.  The tempo is what impresses me most about Baylor -- they ran over 100 plays in that game and never looked lost doing it.  There was no "meerkating" or other slowdowns. More importantly, they can run tempo and still PASS the football. 

Honestly, though, I like the way Gus runs the ball better than Briles.  Indeed, I think Gus and Briles have opposite strengths.  Gus has a much more in depth running game (and a very simple passing game) while Briles has a much more advanced passing game and a simplistic running game.  I think it would be the perfect marriage for both of them.  Briles learns Gus's wing-T running game stuff and Gus learns Briles' passing offense.

So, here's what I think will happen:  Briles will come (along with Kendall) and take over OC duties.  He will "pull a Muschamp" and stay one year until someone comes calling for a new HC opportunity.  After Art leaves, I think Kendall stays on as OC.  Why?  Because 1) He needs to prove himself out from under his father's wing and 2) He will probably get paid more at AU and 3) Being successful in the SEC looks good on his resume.  Everyone wins.  Gus gets his head outta his azz, Briles might learn a thing or two about the running game, Kendall pads his resume, and AU gets back on a winning track.  Oh, and Briles will get another shot at HC somewhere, just like Muschamp.

It's the efficiency that jumps out to me. Like you said, they don't look lost. Not sure if I agree with you on the run game or not. Baylor doesn't need a complicated run game because they keep you so off balanced throwing the ball all over the field. What I will say though...they're OL gets a ton of push on their runs and wins the LOS. You can't argue with averaging 300 rushing a game. Kendall is proving his chops right now to the tune of 3-0 and only a drop off of roughly 40-50 yds a game in production. There's more season to play for sure, but there's no mistaking the QB development on his teams. It takes quite a bit of moxie to produce what their QBs do. I will add...TCU isn't exactly a slouch either. Maybe not bammer caliber, but well above the lower SEC teams.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

I don't think people get this. Unless it is Tom Herman, I seriously doubt we are going to go the way of hiring anybody without some sort of Power 5 coaching experience, specifically head coaching experience.

The only way we reach like that is if we completely miss all of our opening targets. 

I think we hire a power 5 coach who is a big name and much in the same vein as when Arky hired Burt it will come as a total shock to people. My guess and bet would be Jim Mora of  UCLA.

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I think we hire a power 5 coach who is a big name and much in the same vein as when Arky hired Burt it will come as a total shock to people. My guess and bet would be Jim Mora of  UCLA.

I don't think Gus is fired this year.  I think he is given the chance to make wholesale changes on the offensive staff first.

2 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

I don't think Gus is fired this year.  I think he is given the chance to make wholesale changes on the offensive staff first.

When we go 2-6 in the SEC this year and get blown out in back to back games in athens and west vance he will be gone. 3 straight years of losing to those teams and 3 straight seasons of a progressively worse record? He is gonna be gone. 

4 minutes ago, AcUmen said:

So, why wasn't he told to make wholesale changes last year (read as a new OC/QB coach).  Why are we wasting this year?  He did make changes last year and got his hand picked people on the offensive side of the ball, yet we are going to give him one more year to get it fixed!?!?  I don't like the way it's going, but I think you're right and we give him one more year.  I hope the PTB are contacting agents this year and are preparing for a coaching change if things turn nasty by the end of this year.

I keep reading that the buyout will be too steep.  But I saw an article that said AU generated over $113 million in sports revenue last year, with most of it coming from football.  The buyout would not even be 10% of that and if we leave football in the tank the revenue will dry up.  If Gus doesn't begin to turn it around soon it is going to be to the point where regardless of anything else he has to be let go.  I certainly hope he turns it around and we avoid all the turmoil that comes with a coaching change but something has to happen soon or reality is going to kick in.  

I've decided I'll take the job for 100,000.   I will keep my defensive staff intact. I will hire Briles as my offensive coordinator and let him coordinate the rest of the offensive hires. I will then let my coordinators do the coaching and I'll do the interviews.

I will not need any buyout clauses or contract extensions. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

When we go 2-6 in the SEC this year and get blown out in back to back games in athens and west vance he will be gone. 3 straight years of losing to those teams and 3 straight seasons of a progressively worse record? He is gonna be gone. 

Yes, if that happens I think he is out. Best scenario for gus is win today, beat msu, arky, vandy and uga along with the two gimme games, lose to ole miss and bamr and finish 8-4. Leave the fans and alumni with a positive feeling by winning the bowl game and then next season is 10 wins or bust most likely with Woody Barrett at QB.

I'm for bringing in Briles IF the charges against his part prove to be wrong.  IF we are stuck with Gus, which i personally think is a mistake, hire Briles as OC and his son as qb coach. PTB tell Gus to let OC game plan, select the players and call the plays.  Gus is only there to advise and give input.  Get rid if RL and Hand, possibly Kodi if Biles has another coach in mind.  Keep D staff although we need a better dline coach.  But honestly in this scenario, Gus is dead weight.

Some people will not be happy unless we hire a head coach that is a proven winner in the sec. Becomes, no conference is as good as the SEC and obviously no offense that works in another conference or division will work here. I would just like a coach that gives hope to the fan base and has a track record of improving teams. Most teams take on the personality of the head coach. So, I would like to see one that has been at a place long enough to know what his team will be like. If it is a winning coach from a D-2 school I am fine with it. I would not mid at least looking at Grass (JX State) and Klieman (North Dakota State).  Would like for both to have more head coaching experience but both have potential. Wish Gus would just work out. Hope is definitely faiding fast.

Auburn should give a long and hard look at Bobby Petrino and Tom Herman. Either one of these coaches could get us back on the winning track. We won't be playing in the playoff again with Malzahn and Lashlee coaching this team.

On 9/23/2016 at 10:43 PM, aucanucktiger said:

A logical and painful scenario for Auburn could be Gus as Baylor HC where he produces top 10 caliber teams for a couple decades, doesn't have to fight the SEC West, the Saban era and fans that want him strung up for not beating top 10 teams at home with his top 10 recruiting classes.

Karma for those who love "karma" so much!  :-\

Archived