Trussville Cable, Phone, Internet questions

DaddyBoyAU

I've moved to the Birmingham area and have put a contract on a house in Trussville. I'm about to set up my utilities and want to get some information. If anyone reading this lives in that area, I'd appreciate any recommendations. Here are my questions:

The phone company is CenturyTel. For Internet, I could get DSL through them, or I can get Broadband from Charter. The Charter broadband is 3Mbit max, whereas the DSL is only 1.5 Mbit max (not that that is very slow...). However, the house is out Roper Road near the Fire Station, so its distance from the CO might cause slowdown. Does anybody have CenturyTel's DSL and know if it is reliable? Does the speed get anywhere close to the 1.5 Mbit?

If I go with DSL, I could then use satellite for TV and cut out Charter all together (I've never like cable companies). But Charter offers the faster internet speed. So how reliable is Charter in the Birmingham area? How is their customer support? It may be worth it for me to do cable. Satellite internet is expensive and doesn't work well with VPN's, so that's not an option.

Thanks for any info.

I live in Clay and I absolutely love my Charter setup. I've got the 3mb broadband service with some kind of digital cable package ("Expanded Sports Tier" or something like that) that includes music channels, premium channels like HBO, Cinemax, Stars, etc and their sports tier. It's $83/month and they give you the modem at no charge. I think you can add another receiver with DVR for another $10/month. Haven't done that yet though.

I had Bellsouth's DSL when I first moved back to Birmingham out of school and it sucked.

Charter has a pretty good deal right now:

3MB Cable Internet

Expanded Digital (w/ HBO's and showtimes) w/ choice of one extra digital tier.

$90.00

Yeah im on the charter digital 3m pipe and it rocks ass! Dont foget that you get free video on demand for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and starz.

Its like 200 movies...

Yeah im on the charter digital 3m pipe and it rocks ass! Dont foget that you get free video on demand for HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, and starz.

Its like 200 movies...

142247[/snapback]

b*****d!!! There's no VoD in AU. :(

Thanks for the info guys - it looks like I'll go the cable route as long as their digital receiver is compatible with my TiVo.

Archived