Man peed way out of avalanche

Jenny AU-92

I have no way of knowing if this is true, but either way, pretty funny for a Friday afternoon...

link

Man peed way out of avalanche

A Slovak man trapped in his car under an avalanche freed himself by drinking 60 bottles of beer and urinating on the snow to melt it.

Rescue teams found Richard Kral drunk and staggering along a mountain path four days after his Audi car was buried in the Slovak Tatra mountains.

He told them that after the avalanche, he had opened his car window and tried to dig his way out.

But as he dug with his hands, he realised the snow would fill his car before he managed to break through.

He had 60 half-litre bottles of beer in his car as he was going on holiday, and after cracking one open to think about the problem he realised he could urinate on the snow to melt it, local media reported.

He said: "I was scooping the snow from above me and packing it down below the window, and then I peed on it to melt it. It was hard and now my kidneys and liver hurt. But I'm glad the beer I took on holiday turned out to be useful and I managed to get out of there."

Parts of Europe have this week been hit by the heaviest snowfalls since 1941, with some places registering more than ten feet of snow in 24 hours.

I have my doubts about it, but it is possible. FYI...if you are ever in an avalanche and buried under the snow, you can't tell which way is up, so it is very easy to get disoriented, so if you start digging the wrong direction, you could make it worse and have more snow collapse on you. So, how can you tell which way is up? Well, if you have enough moisture left in you, all you have to do is spit and see which way the spit falls/flows and then dig in the opposite direction. I would recommed trying this first over peeing your way out, but I guess you got to do what you got to do to survive. :lol:

1. The article states he is in his car.

2. Gravity still rules in an avalanche. That urine won't go anywhere but down.

Reread the article, it's quite feasible.

Dang. Who goes on holiday alone in a car with 10 six-packs of tall boys? It didn't say if he drank his whole supply, but if he did .... he could have alternated ralphing with peeing his way out. :no:

It probably would have been more efficient and faster had he just poured the beer onto the snow.  Guess he didn't want to waste it...

143041[/snapback]

But not as warm. ;)

Archived