How to apply the law as stupidly as possible

TitanTiger

I think all you actually have to do is have it tagged as "immigration," then everyone in a decision-making capacity loses the ability to reason or think critically.

Their only rival seems to be public school administrators when deciding whether to suspend a child for using a stick on the playground like a gun during a game of cops and robbers.

Coffee Farmer in Hawaii Loses Deportation Battle, Returns to Mexico

A coffee farmer in Hawaii who appealed his deportation order in federal court was forced to leave the island late Friday, after a last-ditch effort to remain with his wife and children was denied, according to NBC-affiliate KNHL.

Andres Magana Ortiz said goodbye to his wife and his three children at Kona International Airport late Friday after the Department of Homeland Security rejected his lawyer’s petition to grant him legal status because he is married to a U.S. citizen, KNHL said.

Ortiz voluntarily left Hawaii to return to Mexico, where he told reporters that he no longer has family. The 43-year-old was smuggled in to the U.S. when he was 15 in order to join his mother.

Since then, he's started his own coffee farm in Hawaii’s Kona region and became a well-respected member of his community, KNHL said.

“Very, very sad and very disappointed in many ways, but there’s not much I can do,” Ortiz said. "Just follow what I have to do and hopefully, in a little bit, things can get better."

Ortiz had been working to obtain legal citizenship in the United States for nearly three decades, and his daughter — who is a U.S. citizen — had recently filed for permission to allow him to remain in the country as the relative of a citizen. But in March, while those applications were pending, the government ordered him to report for removal.

Image: Andres Magana and family

Andres Magana left the Big Island on Friday night, headed for Mexico, where he will stay until applications for legal status can be approved.Hawaii News Now

The case was brought to the attention of Hawaii’s congressional delegation who lobbied for the farmer to remain in the country.

But in May, Ortiz gained national attention after his lawyers appealed the order in San Francisco’s Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, and Judge Stephen Reinhardt blasted the Trump administration’s decision to deport Ortiz, calling it “inhumane.”

“President Trump has claimed that his immigration policies would target the 'bad hombres,'" Reinhardt said. “The government decision in the immigration case shows that even the 'good hombres' are not safe.”

Despite his personal opinions about Ortiz’s case, Reinhardt said he was forced to turn down the request to delay the deportation “because we do not have the authority to grant it.”

He added that, as a judge, he understood why he had to enforce the order but, as a citizen, he struggled to see the merits of breaking up a family.

“He will be returned to Mexico, having spent 28 years successfully building a life and family in this country," Reinhardt said. "The government forces us to participate in ripping apart a family."

It could be up to 10 years before Ortiz is allowed back in the country, KNHL said.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/coffee-farmer-hawaii-loses-deportation-battle-returns-mexico-n780981

I feel so much safer now that we've gotten rid of this "bad hombre" coffee farmer and family man.  Thanks Trump!

On March 23, 2017 at 8:15 PM, TexasTiger said:

Never trust a lying con man.

Making America Great Again!  

Like when we put Japanese Americans in concentration camps. 

Ironically, I doubt if Trump really cares one way or the other about such people being deported. He's whipping up xenophobia just to appeal to his base for personal benefit and he just doesn't care who gets hurt in the process.  

To me, that's even worse.

Found out this very morning that a very good friend of mine was just deported back to Mexico. Julio was a loving Father that ended up on the wrong side of a divorce gone really bad. He filed for custody of his kids from a less than stellar Anglo mom. She called in ICE because he had not totally completed his naturalization while they were married. He is gone now. Career over even if he could come back. We are immigrants at some level in the US.

My family feels shell shocked right now. Julio lived and paid taxes for 30+ years in the US. He worked with me as a stellar employee. he had just got a nice promotion at work. He worked for a Fortune 500 Company with me for 19 years. His exwife was caught with a drug problem and Julio filed for custody. Less than a month later, he was deported back to Mexico. Career over. His Dad and Brothers run a successful Roofing company here in Decatur. Tried to tell him to get his naturalization satisfied. But he kept screwing around with it.

On 7/10/2017 at 11:36 AM, DKW 86 said:

Found out this very morning that a very good friend of mine was just deported back to Mexico. Julio was a loving Father that ended up on the wrong side of a divorce gone really bad. He filed for custody of his kids from a less than stellar Anglo mom. She called in ICE because he had not totally completed his naturalization while they were married. He is gone now. Career over even if he could come back. We are immigrants at some level in the US.

My family feels shell shocked right now. Julio lived and paid taxes for 30+ years in the US. He worked with me as a stellar employee. he had just got a nice promotion at work. He worked for a Fortune 500 Company with me for 19 years. His exwife was caught with a drug problem and Julio filed for custody. Less than a month later, he was deported back to Mexico. Career over. His Dad and Brothers run a successful Roofing company here in Decatur. Tried to tell him to get his naturalization satisfied. But he kept screwing around with it.

That's a damn shame DKW.  :no:  

What makes it worse is that by marrying a US citizen he could probably have protected himself by going immediately to an immigration lawyer.

One of my sisters-in-law was dating an illegal from Slovakia. He speaks about 4 languages and learned English by watching TV while volunteering for drug trials.  He's a great guy, very creative and hard working. The family loves him. He and my sister-in-law were flipping run down houses doing all the labor themselves.  They could make a crack house look like a custom home, often by using recycled materials.

We hounded them to get married but he didn't want to make it look like he was doing it just to remain in the U.S. :-\  They finally visited an immigration lawyer and he told them to come back after they got married, which they did. He's not a citizen yet but he has permanent status (hopefully). 

Trust me, our country is much better off having him here.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

That's a damn shame DKW.  :no:  

What makes it worse is that by marrying a US citizen he could probably have protected himself by going immediately to an immigration lawyer.

One of my sisters-in-law was dating an illegal from Slovakia. He speaks about 4 languages and learned English by watching TV while volunteering for drug trials.  He's a great guy, very creative and hard working. The family loves him. He and my sister-in-law were flipping run down houses doing all the labor themselves.  They could make a crack house look like a custom home, often by using recycled materials.

We hounded them to get married but he didn't want to make it look like he was doing it just to remain in the U.S. :-\  They finally visited an immigration lawyer and he told them to come back after they got married, which they did. He's not a citizen yet but he has permanent status (hopefully). 

Trust me, our country is much better off having him here.

They should start a tv show, at least a web page. i would check it out.(for the house remodeling not deportation evading)

2 hours ago, alexava said:

They should start a tv show, at least a web page. i would check it out.(for the house remodeling not deportation evading)

It's an interesting business but tricky.  They lived with us for a while and did one house in the Greenville SC area.  They've sinced moved on.

I used to scout possible houses for them, which I enjoyed doing and learned a lot.  Doing a deal is a complex analysis weighted heavily on financing and real estate marketing.  And you have to be an extremely sharp businessman as well as a good overall DIY craftsman to make money. You can't contract out much and make money.

My sister-in law and he are total partners and constantly working on one aspect or the other.

I think people underestimate the drive and economic benefits of many, many immigrants.  It's as if they see something Americans take for granted.

On 7/10/2017 at 10:36 AM, DKW 86 said:

That's so very sad. So many things prevent immigrants from becoming citizens, costs, fear, test taking. It a shame that great immigrants are being removed from our communities. 

Please forgive my ignorance...

Is there no grandfather clause? I always assumed people who had been here for a generation would be considered naturalized and good to stay.

Also, I thought marrying a citizen meant you got to stay here... is that not so? But dude married and had kids and was still deported?!?!?! who tf thinks that's a good idea?

11 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Please forgive my ignorance...

Is there no grandfather clause? I always assumed people who had been here for a generation would be considered naturalized and good to stay.

You assumed wrong.  You really don't remember the "amnesty" charges?

Also, I thought marrying a citizen meant you got to stay here... is that not so? But dude married and had kids and was still deported?!?!?! who tf thinks that's a good idea?

It doesn't happen automatically.  You still have to apply for legal status.

19 minutes ago, homersapien said:

You assumed wrong.  You really don't remember the "amnesty" charges?

It doesn't happen automatically.  You still have to apply for legal status.

Sadly, I could fill a library with all the things I have forgotten.

Julio is filing again from Mexico, and he may well be back soon, but it is going to be hard. He screwed himself not getting all the i's dotted and t's crossed.

You still have to get all the paperwork completed. Julio did not...:sad2:

Archived