ESPN pulls announcer from UVA game because his name is Robert Lee

Auburnfan91

29 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

Not even close. 

Have they given you a private showing we don't know about?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/24/2017 at 5:37 PM, AU64 said:

Last year I "loaned" my cable password to a friend who was able to go to Watch ESPN and see all they had to offer for free.     Worked good for him out in Oregon and allowed him to follow his favorite southern teams without being hooked to cable.   Wonder how many thousands/ millions do this?    Made me a bit nervous ....probably not legal but not sure how ESPN or anyone can control something like that. :dunno:

You're probably going to hell for this...

13 minutes ago, japantiger said:

:gofig:   But.. but...I didn't know it was wrong.........

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/all-that-and-a-bag-of-mail-11/

Opinion piece from Clay Travis's mailbag( I've read plenty of Huffpo pieces lately  so cast the first stone. ?)

I have to say that he has a lot of good points regarding the impact of social media, message boards, and the companies like ESPN that are scared to offend the 1 percent. 

On 8/25/2017 at 11:26 AM, ArgoEagle said:

Have they given you a private showing we don't know about?

Lol, no. But I've never been accused of not having imagination. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2017 at 10:08 AM, Strychnine said:

I have Plex packed full of shows and movies that I have acquired over the years.  I am not interested in much that is currently airing, so my goal is end up getting away from subscription fees entirely, and just use Plex exclusively.  With available channel plugins, Plex can also act as a central frontend for other streaming services.  EDIT:  Forgot to address expense.  Plex is $150 for a lifetime license, and it needs some rather beefy PC hardware to run on.  It runs on my PC gaming rig, but most people buy refurb servers or pro workstations (mostly for Intel Xeon CPU's).

Nvidia can probably explain the Shield TV better than I can:  https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv/

Did you RAID you PLEX server? I lucked into an old Dell Precision with dual Xeons and want to turn it into an NAS with DLNA and such. If so, which did you use? Thinking about going with RAID 5.

On August 25, 2017 at 7:41 PM, japantiger said:

Lol not sure about hell. Jail is more likely. And he just confessed on the interwebs! This is probably enforced by the same division as the mattress police. Would make a hell of a Seinfeld episode.

7 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Did you RAID you PLEX server? I lucked into an old Dell Precision with dual Xeons and want to turn it into an NAS with DLNA and such. If so, which did you use? Thinking about going with RAID 5.

RAID 0 with two 4TB drives, SSD boot volume (dual boot Arch and Windows 10).

How many drives, and what size?  I tend to avoid RAID 5, especially if you are considering using the integrated RAID controller.  RAID 5 can be a nightmare without a proper controller (slow writes, high overhead etc.).  If it happens to come with one of Dell's PCIe RAID controllers, RAID 5 could be fine.

EDIT:  If it has dual Xeons, do not cripple it by using one of the free NAS OS solutions.  Use a lightweight install of something you can easily manage like Debian, Fedora, CentOS, or even the dreaded Windows.

45 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

How many drives, and what size?  I tend to avoid RAID 5, especially if you are considering using the integrated RAID controller.  RAID 5 can be a nightmare without a proper controller (slow writes, high overhead etc.).  If it happens to come with one of Dell's PCIe RAID controllers, RAID 5 could be fine.

EDIT:  If it has dual Xeons, do not cripple it by using one of the free NAS OS solutions.  Use a lightweight install of something you can easily manage like Debian, Fedora, CentOS, or even the dreaded Windows.

The drives will be 4 2TB SASCSI drives. We'll be storing personal pics and videos on there, so RAID 0 isn't an option. I'll need to be able to lose a drive and preserve our stuff. I've been bitten in the past. So that leaves me with 1+0 or 5. 5 gives me 6TBs of storage and that's the way I'm leaning. There is a hardware PCIe RAID controller.

I'm planning on Debian server for the OS. A couple of VMs running would be fun. Could thin client the kids' rooms.

7 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

48 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

9 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

The drives will be 4 2TB SASCSI drives. We'll be storing personal pics and videos on there, so RAID 0 isn't an option. I'll need to be able to lose a drive and preserve our stuff. So that leaves me with 1+0 or 5. 5 gives me 6TBs of storage and that's the way I'm leaning. There is a hardware PCIe RAID controller.

I'm planning on Debian server for the OS. A couple of VMs running would be fun. Could thin client the kids' rooms.

Huh? 

2 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

The drives will be 4 2TB SASCSI drives. We'll be storing personal pics and videos on there, so RAID 0 isn't an option. I'll need to be able to lose a drive and preserve our stuff. So that leaves me with 1+0 or 5. 5 gives me 6TBs of storage and that's the way I'm leaning. There is a hardware PCIe RAID controller.

I'm planning on Debian server for the OS.

With a PCIe RAID controller (verify model if you can), then I would say RAID 5 becomes an option.  You specifically want the PCIe RAID controller to have onboard processor and memory.  I say this because there are plenty of less expensive RAID controllers that do not.  If it is a Dell OEM card, it should be fine.

Debian is a good choice for stability.  If you are using it as a server alone, select the Xfce desktop when installing.  Gnome and KDE are pointless overhead.  I am not sure what you can and cannot do without a Plex Pass anymore, but I strongly suggest Plex.

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

Huh? 

Discussion about BB wanting to build a home media server.  Would you like a breakdown?

3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

With a PCIe RAID controller (verify model if you can), then I would say RAID 5 becomes an option.  You specifically want the PCIe RAID controller to have onboard processor and memory.  I say this because there are plenty of less expensive RAID controllers that do not.  If it is a Dell OEM card, it should be fine.

Debian is a good choice for stability.  If you are using it as a server alone, select the Xfce desktop when installing.  Gnome and KDE are pointless overhead.  I am not sure what you can and cannot do without a Plex Pass anymore, but I strongly suggest Plex.

Dell 6i

9 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Dell 6i

Good, that is one of the PowerEdge server cards.  I suspected it had one if it was OEM built for SAS RAID, but you never know what will greet you when you open the case on a Dell Precision or HP Z-series, as even the OEM builds are all over the map.

This joke was the sideline reporter while Beth Mowins and Rex Ryan were in the booth. Monday Night Football these days. ??

And then fella lefty Bob Ley acts like tbe persecution and criticism Sergio Dipp received is unwarranted and tries to make it a race issue. If ESPN is going to make a reporter that speaks English as his second language the sideline commentator, they should at least demand some level of competence. Otherwise, they can expect their reporters to become the butt of many more jokes in the future. 

I didn't hear Rex Ryan but I've been told that he was full of himself and was a major dissapointment in the booth.

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/350509-white-house-espn-anchor-that-called-trump-racist-should-be-fired?amp

Instant. Contract. Extension.

The crazy part of nothing happening to her is that Trump won the flipping election and commands a wide amount of support throughout the nation, but yet ESPN is just fine with keeping Hill on the show, even at risk of losing more and more viewers. What kind of business management is that? 

So basically,  ESPN chose to be socially conscience of its content for its viewers when it came to asian reporters named Robert Lee calling Virginia football games, and they also chose to be unnecessarily socially conscience of their content when they fired a tennis legend for reasonably saying "guerrilla warfare" on live TV in reference to Serena William's aggressive volleys; however, when a talentless anchor that is undeserving of her own Sportcenter calls the POTUS a white supremacist, ESPN is all of a sudden shy with making business decisions that can appease the social media driven mobs- or better yet, not alienate the millions of non-racist republicans that voted for Trump. Give me a break.

https://www.outkickthecoverage.com/espn-suspended-linda-cohn-let-jemele-hill-slide/

Apparently, ESPN suspended a female anchor( the best one at that) at one time for exposing ESPN as being too political and for drifting off from strictly covering sports. 

Archived