***FINAL: Auburn 24 Mercer 10***

RunInRed

8 minutes ago, nurbis said:

The second highest completion percentage stat in SEC history is a pretty big deal. Yes it was against Mercer, but some pretty spectacular quarterbacks have played in this conference against some equally horrible opponents and they couldn't do it. It is a sign that he can be the quarterback he was hyped to be before the season started, he just needs some help from the coaches. Considering the concerns with his abilities after last week, I think it is a good sign. 

Yep. Out of all our problems I'd rank the QB position the lowest. 

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, fishepa said:

Watching Clemson play...why don't we use the plays called "double moves"?

Because Gus didn't put them in his book so they must not work. :)

1 hour ago, War Knight said:

Doesn't look promising. Here's how I see it:

Mizzou - Win, but we'll have to play an insane level of defense to keep it from being a high scoring game. Their defense is atrocious.

Moo State - Loss, possibly by double digits. We have a substantially better roster but we will he entirely out coached.

Ole Sis - Win, were really bad but Ole Sis is even worse. I'd be shocked if they beat us.

LSU - Loss, definitely double digits. Their defense will make us look like we did against Clemson.

Arkansas - Loss, and it's going to be an ugly one as we watch that fat pig of a coach chuckle wearing red he'll look like Santa's ugly step brother.

Texas A&M - Loss, we don't play them well. Should be somewhat close but after playing LSU and Arky in losses we are reeling at this point.

Georjaw - Loss, I'm so f'n tired of losing to these average bulldog teams.

LA-Monroe - win but it's similar to today's game.

Alabama - Loss, one of the worst ones in the last decade. Defense plays lights out but the offense provides no relief. 

(5-7) Gus still keeps his job

If at 5-7 gus keeps his job, I'm sending my diploma back to Auburn.  

Mullen does pretty good with lesser talent. Why can't we go out and find another Mullen?

I do believe Stidham will get much much better very quickly. He obviously has a very accurate throw and zip as well. 

But like many have said, Malzahn has to rotate the backs. It's inexcuseable. 

And more than route running, our receivers have got to finish their blocks for our run game to get to the next level. I know the offensive line has a job as well, but when WRs aren't finishing blocks, it's just as bad. 

23 minutes ago, bmartin3228 said:

It's the coaches responsibility to get them up ready to play . Your missing all parts of the conversation . Your saying you can't blame a coach for sloppy play is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard . What is a coaches job then ? So if we hired a soccer  as the football coach  it wouldn't be his fault for sloppy play ?   If the majority of the team is undiscipline it's the players fault? 

SMH, I said you can't ALWAYS blame sloppy play on the coach. A coach can only teach so much in practice before it's up to the players to execute. 

17 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

Mullen does pretty good with lesser talent. Why can't we go out and find another Mullen?

Throw enough money at Mullen and you want have to find another. 

2 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

SMH, I said you can't ALWAYS blame sloppy play on the coach. A coach can only teach so much in practice before it's up to the players to execute. 

Gus has shown his stripes by crapping the bed the last four years.  There have been flashes of brilliancy, but the only thing resembling consistency is warm garbage.   Not so much "hot" garbage, but "warm" garbage.  

2 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Mullen sorta reminds me of Tubbs.  

At least Tubbs won games against our big rivals.  He may have have lost some we shouldn't have, but we were always ready to play in the big games.  Mullen develops QB's and this year they have a defense.  His involvement in the Cam thing ticked me off, but at this point, he would be a huge improvement.

There are 53 1/3 yds of grass between the sidelines.  If we don't figure out how to start effectivley utilizing the middle 2/3 of that within our passing game, we may only win or have a chance at winning the LaMo game.

8 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

True but Gus is totally responsible for the way fans are doubting him now. A close win over a cupcake is not what he needed regardless of the reason. It doesn't help his case. 

13 minutes ago, AUFlyer99 said:

Gus has shown his stripes by crapping the bed the last four years.  There have been flashes of brilliancy, but the only thing resembling consistency is warm garbage.   Not so much "hot" garbage, but "warm" garbage.  

My post was leaning towards Kodi and other position coaches.

56 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He didn't miss many.  His stat line was 32 for 37 for 364 yards.  That completion percentage is the 2nd best in SEC history (30 or more attempts).

I'm not saying we played perfect by any means, but it was mostly about the fumbles today.

Not bad points, but you responded to a comment about sloppy play, which today was 90% turnovers and untimely penalties.

That's simple not true , go revert back to my original post on the first page . I spoke about everything not just the penalties . 

Go watch Mercer game and look at the blocking on screen passes to WR , look at when Jarrett has to hold the ball longer today etc . Those yardages came from very long developing plays where he had tons of time (that you would not get normally)where a defensive back got lost on coverage . 

Penalties and fumbles were just part of it . 

45 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

Because Gus didn't put them in his book so they must not work. :)

I remember Darwin Adams scored against South Carolina on one during Sec Championship game 2010. So Gus must know they exist. 

21 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Then  why is he paid 4 million? Seems like a HUGE waste of money for someone who has so little control or responsibility 

I remember well that so many people wanted Tubs gone. Sure he had some bad games, but geeze, he beat the turds 6 or 7 seasons in a row. The Chizik hire was baffling, but we got a NC out of the time he was coach so I guess that was worth it at that time. We all know when his coaching imploded and ended his career at Auburn. It looks like Gus is following in Chizik's footsteps.

If we lose to Mizzou, MSU, LSU & Ole Miss then he needs to let go mid season. 

3 hours ago, bikeriderga said:

We win a game over an extremely weak opponent by 14 points, who was actually only down by 7 until the last 7 minutes of the game.

Folks, that was one of the worst performances against a extremely over matched opponent I have ever seen. 

If there is not a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT in the next two weeks, we may not make it to a bowl game. Think about how bad that is considering  all of this talent on this team.

This was just pitiful.

If I were Malzahn I might be telling his spouse, honey you might need to get quotes on movers.

2 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

Then  why is he paid 4 million? Seems like a HUGE waste of money for someone who has so little control or responsibility 

Again I was talking about Kodi and position coaches in general.

3 hours ago, bmartin3228 said:

Wow , just Wow .Gus Malzahn has lost this team . One word that comes to mind is pathetic . 

Burns has no business having the WR job at Auburn . Multiple fumbles from his guys and terrible route running and blocking . That interception was on Nate Craig , he pulled up which gave room for DB to step on front of that ball. 

many other problems from an offensive standpoint but I'm not going to beat a dead horse . 

I hope the defensive players start ripping the offensive players ass . Hopefully that will light a spark under there ass cause the coaches sure aren't doing it . yes I know the coaching isn't great but at some point I should be able to beat every one on one matchup against a team like Mercer .

Also these guys make mistakes and fumble , and some fumbled multiple times . Why aren't these guys getting taken off the field ? Why are they getting to continue to play every down after making these mistakes ? 

What a joke !!!

I'll answer all your questions with one word...COACHING! 

2 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Again I was talking about Kodi and position coaches in general.

Who is ultimately responsible for Kodi and position coaches? That's why the HC makes the big bucks. Our coaches are taking a lot of heat right now but that's what they signed up for. They know it's times like these when they earn their money. I don't hate Gus or any of our coaches. They all seem like good people. But they get paid what they do to get a job done and some haven't been getting it done for awhile. 

27 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

My post was leaning towards Kodi and other position coaches.

Gus hires the position coaches.  He's responsible.  

Archived