Why ‘thoughts and prayers’ is starting to sound so profane

AUUSN

3 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Michelle & I are praying for the victims in Las Vegas. Our thoughts are with their families & everyone enduring another senseless tragedy. ~ Obama

What a worthless POS amirite?

With the power and sway he still holds can you believe  he says thoughts and prayers!!!??!!!?!

What if you house is destroyed by a hurricane while a maniac kills your family and the doctor who you want medicine from says "thoughts and prayers lol"

I mean wut, omg, lol.

You still don't get the point.  :no:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, homersapien said:

You still don't get the point.  :no:

The point that every American leader I can think of has said the same old BS phrase but with THIS guy it's totally different?

Or the point that with the million legit things people could have real complaints about this joke of a POTUS, they pick this?

8 hours ago, Mims44 said:

Michelle & I are praying for the victims in Las Vegas. Our thoughts are with their families & everyone enduring another senseless tragedy. ~ Obama

What a worthless POS amirite?

With the power and sway he still holds can you believe  he says thoughts and prayers!!!??!!!?!

What if you house is destroyed by a hurricane while a maniac kills your family and the doctor who you want medicine from says "thoughts and prayers lol"

I mean wut, omg, lol.

The difference here is Obama actually fought for gun legislation unlike others issuing the thoughts and prayers line. 

Nice try. 

16 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

You’re better than this, Titan. 

No, I'm accurately identifying and explaining to you the distinction you are questioning.  People are tired of expressions of "thoughts and prayers" from politicians who then dig in their heels and block any efforts to effect change.  Thoughts and prayers are great, but when they are accompanied by a devotion to preventing even the smallest of actions to create obstacles to deadly weapons by people who would kill, it comes off as shallow and meaningless.

In more biblical language:  

James 2:14-26

14 What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can that faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is poorly clothed and lacking in daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that? 17 So also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead.

18 But someone will say, “You have faith and I have works.” Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works. 19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! 20 Do you want to be shown, you foolish person, that faith apart from works is useless? 21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar? 22 You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works; 23 and the Scripture was fulfilled that says, “Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness”—and he was called a friend of God. 24 You see that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone. 25 And in the same way was not also Rahab the prostitute justified by works when she received the messengers and sent them out by another way? 26 For as the body apart from the spirit is dead, so also faith apart from works is dead.

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Well, contrary to your personal opinion, the talks on curbing gun violence have been under way for years....dating back to the 1930’s. 

But the number that matters is 270. 

Are you equally this concerned with PP? 

All they do is represent millions of Americans that care about the 2nd amendment. Accomplice?  

Agreed.

Let’s. What’s your solution? 

So something has been talked about since the 1930's and we still have laws that allowed someone to stockpile an aresenal and kill 59 people in 9 minutes? Can you see the connection now between just talking "thoughts and prayers" rather than acting? 

PP? Are you freaking serious? They provide life saving healthcare to women and children across the country. But thank you for being up another lip service tactic of the GOP. They've controlled the three branches of government plenty of times to abolish abortion but chose not to. That's just a BS tactic to get votes from Christian conservatives. 

My solution- don't allow mentally ill to purchase guns, don't let people who have been on a no fly list ( Pulse shooter) buy weapons, get rid of the gun show loophole and assault rifles. 

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No, I'm accurately identifying and explaining to you the distinction you are questioning.

No you’re not. You said nothing more than the Dems want to do something about the mass shootings; Republicans don’t. 

If that’s your thinking, I won’t judge.

20 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

So something has been talked about since the 1930's and we still have laws that allowed someone to stockpile an aresenal and kill 59 people in 9 minutes?

Yes. Are you new?

PP? Are you freaking serious? They provide life saving healthcare to women and children across the country

They continue to disproportionately slaughter black babies everyday. And nothing but crickets from the peanut gallery. Nothings but crickets from the Dems regarding policing their own slums of Baltimore or Chicago either. If you want to make this a partisan issue, have at it.

My solution- don't allow mentally ill to purchase guns

Who is to say what and who qualifies as mentally ill? 

Dems: Trumps white supremacist government is murdering the minorities. :gasp:

Also Dems: Hand your weapons to Big Brother; We’ll take care of them.

don't let people who have been on a no fly list

And what if they were falsely placed on the list? I had a professor on the list and he never even knew it until at the airport. Why? Because he was studying European Policing for his doctorate and apparently his internet went where it shouldn’t have gone.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

No you’re not. You said nothing more than the Dems want to do something about the mass shootings; Republicans don’t. 

If that’s your thinking, I won’t judge.

I actually never used the terms "Dems" or "Republicans."  On purpose, I might add.  I distinguished between those who offer thoughts and prayers and do nothing else, vs those who offer thoughts and prayers but then also want to take concrete action to try and lessen the occurrence and lethality of these mass shootings.  It matters not what party they belong to.  

And that is a distinction that actually does matter.

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

So something has been talked about since the 1930's and we still have laws that allowed someone to stockpile an aresenal and kill 59 people in 9 minutes? Can you see the connection now between just talking "thoughts and prayers" rather than acting?

Think what he meant was... it's been almost 90 years. Both parties have been in power in that time. Both of them through multiple leaders have given the phrase "thoughts and prayers" for tragedy. None of them have done anything(R's or D's)... so whats the difference?

BTW: Trump and several republican members of congress have said already they are wanting to discuss new gun control methods within the last day or so.

And don't forget that dummy who constantly hated on Obama for everything said something positive for him after Sandy Hook.

President Obama spoke for me and every American in his remarks in Connecticut.

Also, Here's what Obama said that Trump loved so much;

Since I've been President, this is the fourth time we have come together to comfort a grieving community torn apart by a mass shooting. The fourth time we've hugged survivors. The fourth time we've consoled the families of victims. And in between, there have been an endless series of deadly shootings across the country, almost daily reports of victims, many of them children, in small towns and big cities all across America — victims whose — much of the time, their only fault was being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

We can't tolerate this anymore. These tragedies must end. And to end them, we must change. We will be told that the causes of such violence are complex, and that is true. No single law — no set of laws can eliminate evil from the world, or prevent every senseless act of violence in our society.

But that can't be an excuse for inaction. Surely, we can do better than this. If there is even one step we can take to save another child, or another parent, or another town, from the grief that has visited Tucson, and Aurora, and Oak Creek, and Newtown, and communities from Columbine to Blacksburg before that — then surely we have an obligation to try.

In the coming weeks, I will use whatever power this office holds to engage my fellow citizens — from law enforcement to mental health professionals to parents and educators — in an effort aimed at preventing more tragedies like this. Because what choice do we have? We can't accept events like this as routine. Are we really prepared to say that we're powerless in the face of such carnage, that the politics are too hard? Are we prepared to say that such violence visited on our children year after year after year is somehow the price of our freedom?

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I distinguished between those who offer thoughts and prayers and do nothing else,

Negative. Of the politicians that has the power to do something about it, and only including the politicians that have expressions of condolences, name one that that has sat on his thumb and has expressed no desire to fix these things. 

9 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

those who offer thoughts and prayers but then also want to take concrete action to try and lessen the occurrence and lethality of these mass shootings.

Okay. You have no clue who is trying and who isn’t. You also have no clue what can and cannot be done right now. Your whole argument is basically the argument of a woman “You didn’t mean it!!” She said. “I can just tell.”

Quit getting worked up over petty s*** like “thoughts and prayers” statements. 

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I actually never used the terms "Dems" or "Republicans."

You didn’t have to.  

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Negative. Of the politicians that has the power to do something about it, and only including the politicians that have expressions of condolences, name one that that has sat on his thumb and has expressed no desire to fix these things. 

Okay. You have no clue who is trying and who isn’t. You also have no clue what can and cannot be done right now. Your whole argument is basically the argument of a woman “You didn’t mean it!!” She said. “I can just tell.”

Sometimes I get the impression that you argue just to argue.  I'm not going to spend my morning Googling for you.  I've watched this episode of Gun Law Bickering enough times to see that there are those who will offer thoughts and prayers and then never offer or back one piece of legislation that even attempts to address the problem.  Then I see those who will offer thoughts and prayers but then take some concrete actions in an effort to prevent or at least lessen the likelihood of these events happening again.  I know you know this as well, but you'd rather play games like the lawyer who hopes to dissuade a lawsuit by burying the other side in paperwork.

I can almost type the response you'll come up with for you now, but I'm not interested in this pedantic manner of discussion.

Quit getting worked up over petty s*** like “thoughts and prayers” statements. 

How about you do you and I'll decide for myself what bothers me and what I'll get 'worked up' over?

Side note:  Noticing a pattern of behavior and acknowledging it is not getting 'worked up.'

You didn’t have to.  

No, I chose not to for a reason.  I care not whether you get it or whether you're even willing to try and get it.

34 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Sometimes I get the impression that you argue just to argue

Well that just shows how lost you are. You think you can determine five days out who is going to do anything about gun control, you are evoking the Bible to justify the butthurt you receive from a harmless statement of condolences, and you’re ignoring the fact that Elle seems to think gun control talks just started and she’s the one who equated the GOP for NRA politicians. But I just “argue to argue” Y’all determine if those labels are interchangeable or not. 

39 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I've watched this episode of Gun Law Bickering enough times to see that there are those who will offer thoughts and prayers and then never offer or back one piece of legislation to address the problem.  Then I see those who will offer thoughts and prayers but then take some concrete actions in an effort to prevent or at least lessen the likelihood of these events happening again.  

It’s been five days, good Lord. If they take away the bump stocks is that going to calm you down? 

You can say anything about Trump or the NRA politicians but time has not been plenty and the complexity of the matter is still muddied. Your argument is pure speculation.

41 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

How about you do you and I'll decide for myself what bothers me and what I'll get worked up over?

Evenhandedness, Titan. You cannot keep saying this while also calling NFL protesters “butthurt nancies.”  

43 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I care not whether you get it or whether you're even willing to try and get it.

I answered this above. Your case is there may be a select few GOP in Congress that’s not NRA bought. And if there are, they are without the power to make concrete actions or make s*** stick. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s been five days, good Lord. If they take away the bump stocks is that going to calm you down? 

You can say anything about Trump or the NRA politicians but time has not been plenty and the complexity of the matter is still muddied. Your argument is pure speculation.

Just read where it sounds like even the NRA is wanting to restrict bump stocks. Coupled with the Trump team news that they are looking at making changes... it probably is going to happen.

"The National Rifle Association just made a major announcement in the debate over new gun laws, signing off on additional regulation of the “bump stocks” used in the massacre in Las Vegas this weekend. While the NRA might have been able to stop bump stocks legislation, its thumbs-up certainly increases the odds of passing something and gives Republicans greater berth to consider it. "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/10/05/the-nras-game-changing-and-conveniently-spun-statement-against-bump-stocks/?utm_term=.5294a8c43c8e

Also, surprise surprise... it's all Obamas fault. (it's cool how everyone does this isn't it?)

22 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well that just shows how lost you are. You think you can determine five days out who is going to do anything about gun control, you are evoking the Bible to justify the butthurt you receive from a harmless statement of condolences, and you’re ignoring the fact that Elle seems to think gun control talks just started and she’s the one who equated the GOP for NRA politicians. But I just “argue to argue” Y’all determine if those labels are interchangeable or not. 

Step back for a second and take a deep breath.  Then try being a bit more reasonable in speaking to me.  There is nothing I'm saying that should be so controversial.  You keep exaggerating my response to this.  If you're going to continue to do that, throwing around words like "butthurt" and "getting worked up," then I'm either just going to ignore you going forward or delete the exaggerations on sight.

My issue is that it's that this situation five days later and it's following the exact same script as before.  Gung-ho gun control folks still want to ban all guns and NRA Worshipers continue to oppose even the slightest perceived hindrance to them obtaining any weapon they want. 

My statement is simple:  If you want to offer thoughts and prayers but do nothing to try and actually stop these events from happening again, or you oppose any effort by others to do it, then you fit the Bible passage I posted to a tee.  Yes, offer thoughts and prayers, but don't stop there.  If you do, you deserve the admonishment.

Exaggerating my statements beyond that is on you.  But if you continue to do it, I'll just start deleting the exaggerations until you figure out how to talk to me rationally.

I'm don't need calming down.  This is just another example of you exaggerating my statements and being argumentative for no good reason.

Evenhandedness, Titan. You cannot keep saying this while also calling NFL protesters “butthurt nancies.”  

I'm being evenhanded.  All I've said is that thoughts and prayers with no action deserves to be called out.  You're the one going nuts, and doing so over a strawman of your own creation.

I answered this above. Your case is there may be a select few GOP in Congress that’s not NRA bought. And if there are, they are without the power to make concrete actions or make s*** stick. 

Let me put this to you in plain and simple terms.  I will explain my own thoughts for you in a way that no sentient being should have a problem understanding.  If you persist in mischaracterizing my position on it after this, it will be deleted on sight because I'm done having someone falsely attribute meanings and statements to me then go off railing about it.  Ready?

Nothing I have said is targeting any particular party, neither explicitly nor implicitly.  You do not need to wonder if it's some sort of code for GOP or Democrat because I am not concerned at all whether the person is Democrat or Republican.  If you are someone who offers thoughts and prayers but then uses whatever responsibility, influence or power you have to try to enact change that will make events like this harder to pull off and less likely to occur, then I'm not criticizing you.  If you are someone who offers thoughts and prayers but then does basically nothing except maintain the status quo, then I am criticizing you.  Whether you have a 'D' or an 'R' after your name is immaterial to whether you fall into one of those two camps.

Jeff, it's up to you if you want to continue talking with me about what I have actually said or not.  But if you persist in telling me what I really mean or exaggerating my position going forward it will go 'poof.'

9 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

Also, surprise surprise... it's all Obamas fault. (it's cool how everyone does this isn't it?)

Yes. similarly, at one time, Raptor was complaining because Obama didn’t give a response soon enough and I gave him the same argument that I gave to Elle. I get frustration. Partisan bellyaching saying “why won’t the republicans do anything” though isn’t worth listening to.

It’s dangerous to have a completely reactive president that makes his agenda under the light of the torch’s brought with the mob.

22 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

My issue is that it's that this situation five days later and it's following the exact same script as before.  Gung-ho gun control folks still want to ban all guns and NRA Worshipers continue to oppose even the slightest perceived hindrance to them obtaining any weapon they want.

You seen my post above yours TT? I'm sure it won't be enough for anyone on the gun control side... but the NRA actually green lighting regulations on bump stocks isn't something I expected to see.

38 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm don't need calming down.  This is just another example of you exaggerating my statements and being argumentative for no good reason.

You’re already me telling me that Trump and the NRA politicians don’t want to fix the mass shooting mess. Again, calm down. 

Step back for a second and take a deep breath.

Now you’re exaggerating my statements, apparently. 

There is nothing I'm saying that should be so controversial.  

Similarly, there is nothing about the blanket statements of condolences from both sides of the aisle that should be controversial. However, you have already labeled Trump, the NRA, and their politicians as wont do anything. 

If you want to offer thoughts and prayers but do nothing to try and actually stop these events from happening again, or you oppose any effort by others to do it, then you fit the Bible passage I posted to a tee.

Again, who has done this?  

Nothing I have said is targeting any particular party, neither explicitly nor implicitly.  You do not need to wonder if it's some sort of code for GOP or Democrat because I am not concerned at all whether the person is Democrat or Republican.  

You targeted the GOP president and the NRA politicians which have long been associated with the GOP. So nonpartisan, Titan....

you persist in mischaracterizing my position on it after this, it will be deleted on sight because I'm done having someone falsely attribute meanings and statements to me then go off railing about it.  

What false statements and meanings, Titan. The only thing that is false is this narrative of yours that Trump and the “NRA politicians “(GOP) wont do anything. Really?

26 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Gung-ho gun control folks still want to ban all guns and NRA Worshipers continue to oppose even the slightest perceived hindrance to them obtaining any weapon they want.

Yeah this is bull.

10 minutes ago, Mims44 said:

You seen my post above yours TT? I'm sure it won't be enough for anyone on the gun control side... but the NRA actually green lighting regulations on bump stocks isn't something I expected to see.

Not possible. Titan said 

But also, I imagine their reply to that would likely be that in addition to their thoughts and prayers, they want to take some concrete actions intended to lessen the chance of these sorts of weapons being available to crazy people bent on mass murder, while when Trump or other NRA-bought politicians do it, they want to do nothing.

19 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

You’re already me telling me that Trump and the NRA politicians don’t want to fix the mass shooting mess. Again, calm down. 

NRA backed politicians have a long history of doing nothing.  Trump has yet to offer even an intention of doing anything.

I'm perfectly calm.

Now you’re exaggerating my statements, apparently. 

Nope.

Similarly, there is nothing about the blanket statements of condolences from both sides of the aisle that should be controversial. However, you have already labeled Trump, the NRA, and their politicians as wont do anything. 

I didn't say it was controversial.  I simply said if that's all you do, then you deserve to be criticized for it.

The NRA has a long history of opposing about 99% of anything the smells like a regulation on guns.  I've said nothing about Trump up to this point.

Again, who has done this?  

Again, you can Google for yourself.  I already told you I'm not spending my day hunting down specific names for you.  I've been watching the news, I've been hearing the same predictable responses from the same batch of politicians and other talking heads.  It's a well-worn script.

You targeted the GOP president and the NRA politicians which have long been associated with the GOP. So nonpartisan, Titan....

This is a lie.  Do it again and you'll get a vacation.  I targeted no one except those who offer thoughts and prayers but do nothing.  

What false statements and meanings, Titan. The only thing that is false is this narrative of yours that Trump and the “NRA politicians “(GOP) wont do anything. Really?

You're lying.  Stop.

It appears that for the first time in a while, the NRA is taking a baby step toward allowing the politicians under their thumb to back a regulation.  They are indicating support for a ban on bump stocks.  I don't know whether they don't care because they believe anyone can rig something like this up on their own or they are being genuine, but it's a start.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Nope.  It's an accurate statement about the extreme elements of both sides of the debate.

Well, my God, extremists say a bunch of s***. Does Raptor speak for you? 

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I didn't say it was controversial.

You got your panties in a wad about it.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Again, you can Google for yourself.

In other words, you have nothing.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I've said nothing about Trump up to this point.

I literally just quoted it.... 

7 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You're lying

I literally just quoted it. Are you going to make everything disappear now?

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well, my God, extremists say a bunch of s***. Does Raptor speak for you? 

I was simply acknowledging that you have extremists on both sides before moving on to my main point.  Why are you so amped up today?

You got your panties in a wad about it.

No, I didn't.  Go back and re-read my responses.  I've been perfectly calm throughout this. 

You, however, might want to take a Valium.

In other words, you have nothing.

What I don't have is time to indulge your diversionary tactics.

I literally just quoted it.... 

I mentioned him in passing and have edited my post to reflect that.  So far he's offered thoughts and prayers but zero indication that he will do anything on the status quo.  I'll put him in the "waiting" category.

Archived