Spring Practice

BustemBigBlue

I will be there Saturday a.m. :au:

Goin' to see our new LH Starting qb ! ! !

:lol::lol::lol::poke:

i sure wish i could make it down for something, especially A-day...however, i have to work every friggin saturday in march. why the heck is ADAY in March again? to avoid spring break? i liked it always being the first weekend of April. :(

How much is it to watch the practice......... $1 :poke: ?

148852[/snapback]

FREE ! ! ! :D:au:

How much is it to watch the practice......... $1 :poke: ?

148852[/snapback]

FREE ! ! ! :D:au:

148887[/snapback]

Auburn and the word free in the same sentence? Wow, I'm speechless :D

I went-nothing too spectacular to report just alot of fundamentals and a few skeleton drills-TEs couldn't catch a cold butt naked in Alaska but it was the first day-Wallace was catching well. Alot of players had different numbers at practice but Tre and Carl were taking most of the snaps early and Kenny got more carries as practice moved along-I think Kenny was a little nervous because he tripped on himself and fumbled a few handoffs. Tre looked good-Lestor was on the stationary bike for most of the practice but he came out with the team later-he didn't get any carries.

If this first day is any indication there will not be any controversy at QB-Booker has a long way to go and was not throwing as well as he could-he has a thing where right before he throws he has a little pump action-it caused him to get picked off a few times-the balls he threw were not terrific but it was the first day-Cox looked polished for the first day-very sharp-he did not throw the prettiest deep ball though. Borges had them doing alot of fundamental drills early then skeleton drills.

Hart practiced at center with the second team and had a fumbled snap. I overheard David Irons say that he was nervous being out there again on his knee but I guess I would be too. Just a fundamentals day pretty much. :thumbsup:

bcox_30105.jpg

"Brandon picked up where he left off. He played pretty good today,"said Borges. "He's had a year to take repetitions with the two's but he still got all the gameplan stuff so he's got a pretty good feel with the offense."

The freshmen still have a lot to learn according to Borges.

"The other kids showed the ability but their heads are swimming. There's just so much for them to learn," he said.

The Tigers also worked 7-on-7 skeleton drill which matches the linebackers, safeties and cornerbacks against the offensive skills players.

In the drill, Cox was very sharp hooking up with Obomanu and Courtney Taylor. Cox also found Aromashodu wide open on two different occasions deep, but the senior could not hold on. On defense, Kevin Hobbs picked off Calvin Booker and would've returned it for a touchdown. Gilbert and Pitts also made nice plays as did Eric Brock at the safety position.

did you see any differences in the fundamental drills that the secondary ran? i was just wondering if they were preparing any differently since gibbs said we were going to play more bump and run.

The corners played up on the WR more than usual and a lot more man to man. Pitts had a pretty good day and it was good to see D. Irons out there (but you could tell he's still recovering).

did you see any differences in the fundamental drills that the secondary ran? i was just wondering if they were preparing any differently since gibbs said we were going to play more bump and run.

148985[/snapback]

his approach today seemed more about teaching the players rather than yelling at them but that might change when we put the pads on-I hope it does b/c some players need to be yelled at. I was on the sideline when we were doing skeleton drills and Monte's uncle and cousin were beside me-Monte let his man get behide him deep but the pass went to the other side of the field and they got on to him and he said that he knew Booker wasn't throwing it that way-he was taking a play off-that's why he gets beat in games-not speed or agility

I didn't notice anything, as far as drills go, that was terribly different than Chizik's-everything was pretty basic and I'm sure I'll see some differences when practice is further along

Gibbs is like 5' tall-I kept mistaking him for a ballboy :huh:

I feel certain that he will. :au:

great practice reports guys! a lot better than the mobile press or huntsville times for sure! :D

here's a few quotes from Booker on Cox. of course, it's the first day, but he sounds like a pretty upstanding guy. put TEAM first!

Booker said Cox is the "guy right now." But Booker says he's ready for some friendly competition.

"A year ago, Brandon was the MVP of the spring game," Booker said. "Brandon backed Jason up the whole season, took over 100 snaps and I give him that respect and honor him as our No. 1. But I'm going to compete. I'm not going to just lie down.

"If I have an opportunity to step up, then I'm going to take that opportunity.

"This is a competitive race, but at the same time, we're helping each other because in the end, no matter who starts or whatever, Auburn's going to have to have a good quarterback under center."

That's a great attitude. Also, this kid knows that if he goes into the fall as the #2 guy, he will get reps.

Guys we were extremely lucky last year. JC could have gone down at any time. We may not be as lucky this year, so I hope that Cox helps Booker out with the mental aspect so that we can have a capable backup. Had JC gone down for a short period last year, we might have made it. This year will be a lot tougher to overcome. We need one clear winner at the QB postion and one guy that is progressing very fast. I got a feeling it will take two next year.

not much difference today except I thought everything was a little slopier. Irons is really trying hard at RB but it's hard to gauge how they're doing without pads on. We'll have a better idea on Sat. after the scrimmage. Alot of dropped passes from everyone including Talyor-Guess had a bad day receiving. I'm ready for Trott and McKenzie to get here and catch some of these balls that the TEs are dropping-Wallace is doing fine but everyone else looks terrible. Hart fumbled another snap but overall our O line looks good. :thumbsup:

hey erik what time did they shut practice down today? i won't be out of senior project review until 5 or so, and i was wondering how long they'd be going at it after that. thanks for the update again. how did duckworth or whoever is playing right guard look?

hey erik what time did they shut practice down today? i won't be out of senior project review until 5 or so, and i was wondering how long they'd be going at it after that. thanks for the update again. how did duckworth or whoever is playing right guard look?

149120[/snapback]

they probably start closing things down about 6-they've been doing all the skeleton drills and one on ones about 4:45 or 5(I say that b/c those are always the most entertaining)-after that it's mostly team drills-It's hard to say how duckworth looked because practice was in shorts and I pay more attention to skill positions and secondary but the O-line looks pretty coheisive.

After Wednesday's practice TT said they worked on several new formations and plays. He said the play book was looking like a Sears Catalogue and that the QBs heads were spinning. He also said after the next few days, they would see who was learning the offense and retaining it and who wasn't. He said those who weren't would be left behind.

Archived