Finebaum is going to

Shug2003

He is calling AU a racist university without accepting responsibility for his statement. He cites "sources" as those who have said this to him. This little a**hole is going to continue to try and ruin Auburn since Jacobs has handed him this issue on a silver platter.

Sorry, but, JJ did absolutely nothing but run his department as he saw fit.

That is his job. Anything else said about this is simply rumor put out there by those wishing harm to AU.

p.s. Never listen to or read finescum. It works well for me. :D

if you read the article he wrote (it's on al.com), he's absolutely right (which i've never said before about that man). he never once says anything about negative about auburn. he just says that auburn has an image problem which is based on a larger problem of racist practices, real or imagined. the fact is perception is reality, and there is a growing perception that we have a race problem. we'd better do something in response, soon.

i tend to agree with finebaum most of the time......sometimes the truth hurts (don't blast me...i'm not some liberal psycho.....far from it). however, sometimes he gets on his little rants just to get people riled up. he's an equal-opportunity @-hole. he rips on everybody, not just auburn. i do like it when he rips bama, though. :lol:

long live JJacobs! WDE!

OK, lets assume for a mini-second that he may be right........ just where should Auburn go to satisfy the dissents who keep bringing this up???? This is a legitimate question! IF they rehire the two dismissals, then do we admit we made a mistake and never should have dismissed them? Do we just go on as if nothing ever happened? Do we embrace the black organization which blames us for centuries old racial injustices? Hey guys, what in HELL do we do? I say, screw all the modern racial organixations who are trying tomake us look like "Uncle tom's" and for a change, STAND UP FOR OUR RIGHTS!

You may be referring to the caller who just(very politely) called Finebaum out on making statements such as "I've talked to people who say..." without naming a source. It's highly irresponsible and only stirs up controversy. He may not have said anything specific in his article but he just said on his show that he has info from a white administrator at AU about their racist practices and he could blow the lid off Auburn if he said what he knows.

BULL S#@T!!!

I'll be the first to admit that I listen to Finebaum quite often because it can be a very entertaining show. BUT, Finebaum is not nearly as "Connected" as he wants us to believe. Most of the inside stuff he acts like he knows NEVER comes to pass. A couple of quick examples...He said a couple of weeks ago, and we debated it on this board, that "People are saying that AU was contacted about a game with USC and Auburn turned it down." Yea, okay Paul.

A few months back, PF stated that "Phillip Fulmer will rue the day he ever set foot in the state of Alabama to recruit Jason Swain." Paul said he had "Inside info" about UT illegally recruiting Swain. Well.....we're waiting....

Now, he has inside information straight from the mouth of a white Auburn administrator that would blow the lid off Auburn. And the reason you don't say anything is because.....? Could it be because you're full of s%&t and know how to say just enough to peak the interest of a gullible listening audience without ANY SUBSTANCE to back it up?

I heard some very reliable sources say "Finebaum is a complete fraud". Now...I gotta' go. The second hour of his show is on.

Broke the code with PF recently.

His reality is this:

1) Bammers make up the vast majority of his audience.

2) Bammers call in when, Bama is just simply mentioned, positively or negatively. It really doesn't matter to them. It's not like they have real jobs... :big:

3) Auburn Folks do not call in when :au: wins. There was a two week period on PF right after the Sugar Bowl when almost no one called in. It seems we do not have our self esteem determined by a team of 18-22 year olds.

4) :au: people will call and DEFEND :au: however.

PF is in the ratings business. PERIOD. He needs callers and controversy.

Say the word "Bama" and half his audience will call in. Praise :au: and :au: folks listen. Run :au: down, we get on the horn.

Paul is trying to get :au: folks to call in more so he can balance his show out. His problem is that we have other things in our lives we derive satisfaction from besides a college football team.

Football is a great hobby to an :au: fan.

Football is life to almost every :ua: fan however...

if you read the article he wrote (it's on al.com), he's absolutely right (which i've never said before about that man). he never once says anything about negative about auburn. he just says that auburn has an image problem which is based on a larger problem of racist practices, real or imagined. the fact is perception is reality, and there is a growing perception that we have a race problem. we'd better do something in response, soon.

148890[/snapback]

Two of Finebaum's statements really hit the nail on the head:

"This problem exists as long as people are willing to talk about it, which seems to on a constant basis. "

-and-

"Every day this story plays out, it's another bad day of publicity for Auburn's football program."

Those statements are both true. The problem I have with it is him saying that the problem exists as long as "people" are willing to talk about it. Earth to Paul, you are one of those "people."

So I guess I disagree about the "perception is reality" thing, because only a very small minority of people have the perception that Auburn is racist, and they're not exactly the most reliable, unbiased sources. I think a better statement would be that the media's perception can become reality if nutjobs like Finebaum and Holmes actually have an audience. Don't listen to them and they don't have any power.

The rest of the article is drivel. He talks about how Tuberville had to fire Ed Hawley in 2003 after he used a racial slur...HELLO?!? Didn't we do the right thing???? ONE person said something racist. ONE. And he was fired. Problem solved. Then he goes on to talk about the Eric Ramsey situation as evidence that Auburn "might" have a race problem. Touche, Finebaum...except that was FIFTEEN YEARS AGO! Pretty weak argument.

I'm just sick of this **** to be honest. If I had to pick one institution in this state to label "racist," it sure as hell wouldn't be Auburn, and I'm sure you can guess which one it would be. It's one that I believe our dear Mr. Holmes is familiar with.

shug, first an uncle tom is a black man that sides with white people over his black brothers. so it'd be impossible for me to be an uncle tom.

second, i would offer their jobs back. it sucks to have to say "i wasn't wrong, but you can come back if you want," but that's where this is going. i have a feeling that neither guy would come back to be honest. danley might. most folks don't want to be where they are unwanted.

the next thing the university should do is something that most folks will rail you for suggesting: RECRUIT qualified minority students. i know folks say "well we don't go out and recruit white students." you're right, but we have an over-abundance of them so that'd be stupid. we need minority students; they need great education. why not give it to them at auburn instead of tuskegee or jax state? openly recruit minority students.

make FUNCTIONAL outlines to show how you want to improve the diversity of the student body. it's one thing to draw up some rhetoric like we did after the kkk halloween party thing; it's another to plan real ways to make a change. present those changes to the alabama black caucus and pay them all the lip service they need. get on tv and tell how important diversity is every opportunity you get. those are the kinds of things you have to do as a public institution sometimes.

the next thing the university should do is something that most folks will rail you for suggesting: RECRUIT qualified minority students. i know folks say "well we don't go out and recruit white students." you're right, but we have an over-abundance of them so that'd be stupid. we need minority students; they need great education. why not give it to them at auburn instead of tuskegee or jax state? openly recruit minority students.

148938[/snapback]

This is borderline affirmative action. The problem I have with it is that Auburn has a fixed enrollment and we are turning away hundreds of kids. I think we should accept the most qualified regardless of race, otherwise it is discrimination against somebody no matter how you cut it. If we end up with no minorities that's OK.

JMHO

148938[/snapback]

This is borderline affirmative action. The problem I have with it is that Auburn has a fixed enrollment and we are turning away hundreds of kids. I think we should accept the most qualified regardless of race, otherwise it is discrimination against somebody no matter how you cut it. If we end up with no minorities that's OK.

JMHO

148941[/snapback]

I totally agree. an institution of higher learning should be just that. Not an institution of higher tutoring.

Now maybe they should have a system based on the type of school district you come from. If you come from a school district that does not have a good rating, but you did well, then maybe you should be given a little more quality points. It is always harder to succeed in a lesser environment. But notice I said environment, not skin color.

First of all............Don't just Recruit or Hire Black people just because they're black.......Recruit and/or Hire the Best person/people available.....I'm so freakin' Sick of all this.......If he's not as qualified as the other guy that happens to be White, Don't hire him.......There's a Crap load of Money out there on these Coaches and ADs, if they hire someone that isn't as qualified as the other guy and the Team(s) lose games, then those people that hired the Minority person for the Job(s) might be Fired and lose a Ton of Money.........

Football is a great hobby to an :au: fan.

Football is life to almost every :ua: fan however...

148915[/snapback]

hhhmmmm......

AUBURN FOOTBALL IS LIFE TO ME....IS THAT WRONG?

:no:

WDE!

I'm a blacksheep when it comes to Finebaum, I like listening to him when has the weekly interviews and such. You have to give him credit in knowing his audience, which is mostly bammers who like to call in and chime in with their "knowledge" of whatever topic is being discussed at that moment. Finebaum is running with this right now because it is a big story involving :au: , and it is negative so all the bammers are coming out of the woodwork to listen and slam Auburn because they don't have anything better to do. Most of them are waiting for Shula and the wonderful Brodie take the practice field, as they prepare for their return to greatness next season; didn't any of ya'll get the memo :big: ?

This WHOLE "thing" is a NON-story. Put forth by an idiot(holmes) and kept going by the all too willing bamaham media.(They can't win on the playing field, soooo)

THAT is the WHOLE story. :au:

148890[/snapback]

It's only a perception of 'racist practices ' when folks like Finebum and the race baiters say it is. By perpetuating this nonsense over and over, they fabricate an issue where none exists, and inflate their own perceived image of importance. It's the old saying - nothing draws a crowd like a crowd.

Looking at the facts, there's no 'there' there, in regards to this being a racial issue. But because bad news sells, and because race baiters are always in search for a cause to validate their attempts to grab the headlines.......this is what you get. Sadly, Jesse Jackson has perfected this sort of shake down tactic for years, and what we are witnessing is fruit of his labor.

shug, first an uncle tom is a black man that sides with white people over his black brothers. so it'd be impossible for me to be an uncle tom.

second, i would offer their jobs back. it sucks to have to say "i wasn't wrong, but you can come back if you want," but that's where this is going. i have a feeling that neither guy would come back to be honest. danley might. most folks don't want to be where they are unwanted.

make FUNCTIONAL outlines to show how you want to improve the diversity of the student body. it's one thing to draw up some rhetoric like we did after the kkk halloween party thing; it's another to plan real ways to make a change. present those changes to the alabama black caucus and pay them all the lip service they need. get on tv and tell how important diversity is every opportunity you get. those are the kinds of things you have to do as a public institution sometimes.

148938[/snapback]

This would be the WORST thing that Auburn could do. First, if Auburn hired the 2 black guys back, what would you do about the white person? Would you give him his job back too? That would mean that you think that the Athletic Department is not as functional as you think it could be but you are not going to do anything about it. It means that Auburn hired Jacobs for an important job, but he does not have any authority. It means that Auburn was wrong and that the AD did infact fire these people because the color of their skin.

I do not see this being an issue. The only ones talking about it are people on these boards and Finebaum. The other talk show hosts have let it go. The reason Finebaum hasn't is because it is a RACE issue. The race issue and racism has been a disscussion back and forth for as long as I have been along. It will never die. There will always be some racism, and there will always be some that call racism whether it is there or not.

This is not an Auburn thing. This is something to get people sturred up and it is working. I do not believe that Auburn is viewed by the large majority of people is racist. The people that do think they are racist usually are the ones that are trying to gt something for nothing.

I think we need to let this thing die. If boards like this let it die, and people stop calling into Finebaum let it die, it will be a non issue.

148890[/snapback]

It's only a perception of 'racist practices ' when folks like Finebum and the race baiters say it is. By perpetuating this nonsense over and over, they fabricate an issue where none exists, and inflate their own perceived image of importance. It's the old saying - nothing draws a crowd like a crowd.

Looking at the facts, there's no 'there' there, in regards to this being a racial issue. But because bad news sells, and because race baiters are always in search for a cause to validate their attempts to grab the headlines.......this is what you get. Sadly, Jesse Jackson has perfected this sort of shake down tactic for years, and what we are witnessing is fruit of his labor.

149064[/snapback]

Raptor, I think you did a very good job of stating what I had attempted. This is a "NON" issue. Two people were fired that just happened to be black. TWO were promoted that just happened to be black. I do not think either of the two "happenings" were related to race.

The only people keeping this thing alive are those that do not have the best interest of Auburn at heart.

My two, and last on the subject, cents. :au:

First of all, I never used the term Uncle Tom. Secondly, I disagree with Finebaum's approach to programming totally and I think he qualifies as a yellow audio journalist. He rates right up there with Howard Stern with me.. or rather down there. As for missed opportunities, I do agree with him that the Reverend Williams (Chette) and Auburn are missing a golden opportunity to rebut these charges, unless they are right. That only seems logical since the most Reverend Al Sharpton and the more Reverend Jessie Jackson are about to stick their noses into the situation too. I'm just sick and tired of this whole business and which we could get some peace and quiet on the plains that lasts more than two months. WDE!!

How the heck is Eric Ramsey an example of racism? We got put on probation for trying to help him.

We will not offer them their jobs back, nor should we.

How the heck is Eric Ramsey an example of racism?  We got put on probation for trying to help him.

We will not offer them their jobs back, nor should we.

149165[/snapback]

What would happen if Auburn did offer those guys their jobs back? Would that not make it worse on Blacks applying for jobs? Why would you want to hire someone that you can not dismiss if they are not doing their jobs or if you have to down size. Auburn is not the first corporation that has had to down size to try and cut expenses, and with this in mind should not the most expendable people be let go with no consideration to their race? To me this proves a lack of discrimination in stead of a case of discrimination.

Archived