SEC To Use Instant Replay in 2005...

lsuj2006

Linkage

On an experimental basis.

I like the fact that they want to get the calls right but I'm still not a huge fan. I've been to NFL games and it normally takes almost 5 minutes to get it all sorted out. It takes that long because it takes time for the coach to throw the flag(after someone in the press box has seen the replay), then the ref has to announce that it is being reviewed, then it takes a while to review it, then the ref has to run back on the field and announce the decision. It takes the momentum out of the game and the fire out of the crowd.

Although there are pros and cons, I for one am all for it.

149394[/snapback]

Me, too. The SEC officiating is horrendous. This can only help.

I like the fact that they want to get the calls right but I'm still not a huge fan. I've been to NFL games and it normally takes almost 5 minutes to get it all sorted out. It takes that long because it takes time for the coach to throw the flag(after someone in the press box has seen the replay), then the ref has to announce that it is being reviewed, then it takes a while to review it, then the ref has to run back on the field and announce the decision. It takes the momentum out of the game and the fire out of the crowd.

149370[/snapback]

If the :sec: models their instant replay after the Big 10, then there will not be any coach's challenges so it shouldn't slow the game down too much. Hey lsuj2006, where ya been, I missed ya :bighug:

People who want replay are the same people who made my backyard football games break up due to an argument about a call...it's a freaking game and the rules are subjective and messy if you are a lot better than the other guy you'll beat the hell out of him anyway because there are good breaks and bad breaks on every play.

Instant replay in college football?!...why not allow simon crowell to be a guest judge and let him tell each coach who did a better job of preparing the teams...and then let the fans vote on the calls through their cellphones?? this is the dumbest plan...I'll nevere ever ever like sitting aroudn for five minutes waiting for the refs to watch tv while the whole stadium lets their buzz fade away...the calls all even out anyway and the tv still misses some of the plays...would the phantom pi on auburn against UT last year have been corrected? no...but

next year Spurrier :usc: vs Auburn :au:

think about a gamecock offense driving in auburn territory late in the game and after a heavy pressure(from mcglover) incompletion and then a hard hitting tackle for a loss (by will herring) the ball gets knocked out by the gorund as the RB hit the ground, it's 3rd down and long , the crowd is screaming and the atmosphere is electric. Then hold on wait five minutes while the refs determine if it was a fumble or caused by the ground... the crowd goes quite..truns out it wasn't a fumble...but the spurrier and his qb have not gotten together a great play for third and long...the crowd tried to make some noise but it isn't like it was 5 minutes ago...the qb goes to the line...audibles to the play he and spurrier anticipated based on the auburn d...first down....gamecocks go on to win and we all get home 15 minutes later that night since there were one or two other time wasting, momentum killing, life sucking, big 11, nfl crapola, replay timeouts...it is the same mentality that clamors for everything int he country to be made safe and secure by the government that is callign for "every call to be right"...every play has a PI and holding and an illegal use of the helmet....it is just referee discretion that keeps the game going..."possession" by the wide receiver or runningback after the catch while trying to get a foot down or before a fumble is subjective...the ball is always "moving".

People who want replay are the same people who made my backyard football games break up due to an argument about a call...it's a freaking game and the rules are subjective and messy if you are a lot better than the other guy you'll beat the hell out of him anyway because there are good breaks and bad breaks on every play.

Instant replay in college football?!...why not allow simon crowell to be a guest judge and let him tell each coach who did a better job of preparing the teams...and then let the fans vote on the calls through their cellphones?? this is the dumbest plan...I'll nevere ever ever like sitting aroudn for five minutes waiting for the refs to watch tv while the whole stadium lets their buzz fade away...the calls all even out anyway and the tv still misses some of the plays...would the phantom pi on auburn against UT last year have been corrected? no...but

next year Spurrier :usc:   vs Auburn :au:

think about a gamecock offense driving in auburn territory late in the game and after a heavy pressure(from mcglover) incompletion and then a hard hitting  tackle for a loss (by will herring) the ball gets knocked out by the gorund as the RB hit the ground, it's 3rd down and long , the crowd is screaming and the atmosphere is electric. Then hold on wait five minutes while the refs determine if it was a fumble or caused by the ground... the crowd goes quite..truns out it wasn't a fumble...but the spurrier and his qb have not gotten together a great play for third and long...the crowd tried to make some noise but it isn't like it was 5 minutes ago...the qb goes to the line...audibles to the play he and spurrier anticipated based on the auburn d...first down....gamecocks go on to win and we all get home 15 minutes later that night since there were one or two other time wasting, momentum killing,  life sucking, big 11, nfl crapola, replay timeouts...it is the same mentality that clamors for everything int he country to be made safe and secure by the government that is callign for "every call to be right"...every play has a PI and holding and an illegal use of the helmet....it is just referee discretion that keeps the game going..."possession" by the wide receiver or runningback after the catch while trying to get a foot down or before a fumble is subjective...the ball is always "moving".

149463[/snapback]

As far as arguments against instant replay go, this is the dumbest EVER.

Hey lsuj2006, where ya been, I missed ya :bighug:

149400[/snapback]

Real busy, man. REAL busy. ;)

So long as judgement calls (lsWHO beating uat on pass int. call) are not involved, I think it will be a good thing. :au:

next year Spurrier :usc:   vs Auburn :au:

think about a gamecock offense driving in auburn territory late in the game and after a heavy pressure(from mcglover) incompletion and then a hard hitting  tackle for a loss (by will herring) the ball gets knocked out by the gorund as the RB hit the ground, it's 3rd down and long , the crowd is screaming and the atmosphere is electric. Then hold on wait five minutes while the refs determine if it was a fumble or caused by the ground... the crowd goes quite..truns out it wasn't a fumble...but the spurrier and his qb have not gotten together a great play for third and long...the crowd tried to make some noise but it isn't like it was 5 minutes ago...the qb goes to the line...audibles to the play he and spurrier anticipated based on the auburn d...first down....gamecocks go on to win and we all get home 15 minutes later that night since there were one or two other time wasting, momentum killing,  life sucking, big 11, nfl crapola, replay timeouts...it is the same mentality that clamors for everything int he country to be made safe and secure by the government that is callign for "every call to be right"...every play has a PI and holding and an illegal use of the helmet....it is just referee discretion that keeps the game going..."possession" by the wide receiver or runningback after the catch while trying to get a foot down or before a fumble is subjective...the ball is always "moving".

149463[/snapback]

This sounds soooo much like the 70's when Auburn had the "TV jinx". We HATED to have a TV game for the above reasons and when we did it always seemed a TV t/o would come right when we were getting momentum in a big game.

Actually I am for instant replay at the official's discretion if THEY feel THEY need to review a call or situation. I also think it worth considering limiting it to the last 5 minutes of the first half and to the fouth qtr.

I think it could only help...

but I'm sure our brilliant SEC officials could find a way to screw this one up too.

What is this tv jinx of the 70's you refer to? I tailgate with a bunch of old timers and I have never heard of that before. What you been busy with lsu, that sig pic? I like it, but I'm sure BG has already scolded you.

What you been busy with lsu, that sig pic? I like it, but I'm sure BG has already scolded you.

149640[/snapback]

No, I stole that. Work, school, music, and a trip to Mexico have kept my plate full...

Did you enjoy Mexico? Hopefully your digestive tract made it back in one piece.

149642[/snapback]

Actually it is the preparation for Mexico that has kept me busy. The actual trip is not for 2 more weeks.

It is actually an Easter mission trip to an orphanage down there.

Question:

Can the SEC refs get it right even after watching it in slow motion from different angles?

Question:

Can the SEC refs get it right even after watching it in slow motion from different angles?

149908[/snapback]

Doubt it, most of them look like they need to be in a nursing home or cut the carbs. Hopefully the replay system will help them with blown fumble calls which is the thing I notice more with SEC refs than any others.

Archived