Softball vs. LSU

After 13 complete, we are still playing.      Veach, Olszewski and McCrackin coming up in the 14th.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McCrackin grounds to left side, deep short and the throw is NOT in time.  Podany up with 2 outs.

Well, our early inning errors cost us.  Could have had this in 7 and won 2-1.  Three losses on the season and all three had major errors that hurt.

Good news is we know we can beat LSU, not just got to do it.

Helluva effort by both teams.  Now both teams have seen the 1-2 pitchers for the other team.  We were starting to get to Walljasper.  Torina saved the game by bringing in Hoover, whom we never solved.    Clutch homer by McCrackin, or it would have been a shutout the wrong way.  Numerous really good defensive plays.   

8 minutes ago, saminbama said:

An out called when a slapper stepped out of the box was the difference in the game.  Hope we learn from this one.

Yep. They have known the new rule since last summer.  No excuse for still stepping out of the box.  

Seems pretty harsh to put it all on that one mistake.  We also had a throwing error that gave up a run.  Carlson didn't have her best stuff tonight.  (4 walks, something like 7 hits.  )  It makes just as much sense to me to blame it on the too-shallow positioning of Podany in the first inning; or CMD's failure to pull Martin when it was obvious that she had lost something in the 14th.  So it's a team loss to me.   

Unreal game.  Neither deserved a loss and both deserved a win.  4 errors is tough.  I think we equalled with 4 game saving plays defensively.  At least we didn't show a 3rd pitcher.  Chardonnay and Ashley will probably get some good innings tomorrow. We probably have the advantage in the 3rd and 4th rotation pitchers. 

8 hours ago, saminbama said:

An out called when a slapper stepped out of the box was the difference in the game.  Hope we learn from this one.

Figured that new rule/interpretation was gonna hurt us sometime when it mattered....ugh..

7 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Unreal game.  Neither deserved a loss and both deserved a win.  4 errors is tough.  I think we equalled with 4 game saving plays defensively.  At least we didn't show a 3rd pitcher.  Chardonnay and Ashley will probably get some good innings tomorrow. We probably have the advantage in the 3rd and 4th rotation pitchers. 

Do you really think we or LSU use anybody except the top two? A very few years ago one softball pitcher would throw the entire weekend series unless the game got out of hand. I don't see us going deeper than two barring unforeseen circumstances such as an injury or blowout one way or the other.

17 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Do you really think we or LSU use anybody except the top two? A very few years ago one softball pitcher would throw the entire weekend series unless the game got out of hand. I don't see us going deeper than two barring unforeseen circumstances such as an injury or blowout one way or the other.

Good point and you have likely followed this sport much longer than I have but I think Harris is such a style change that we will see her at some point in a game during this series.  Likely pretty intimidating when someone pitches in their first conference game.

8 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Seems pretty harsh to put it all on that one mistake.  We also had a throwing error that gave up a run.  Carlson didn't have her best stuff tonight.  (4 walks, something like 7 hits.  )  It makes just as much sense to me to blame it on the too-shallow positioning of Podany in the first inning; or CMD's failure to pull Martin when it was obvious that she had lost something in the 14th.  So it's a team loss to me.   

You are correct.  There were several things that made a difference in the outcome.  Pinpointing one as the difference was wrong and I apologize to KK and anybody bothered by my remark. 

Archived