Freshmen could contribute

aubiefifty

On 6/19/2018 at 11:00 AM, aubiefifty said:

WR — Matthew Hill, Anthony Schwartz, Seth Williams

Schwartz hasn’t arrived on campus (he’s still running his way through the summer track circuit), but once he does, his speed could give him an opportunity at wide receiver while Eli Stove and Will Hastings continue their recovery from ACL injuries.

Those injuries could also open up more opportunities for the bigger Hill and Williams, but they’ll have to fight with the more established Darius Slayton, Nate Craig-Myers and Marquis McClain for touches on the outside.

Probably nothing new, but potentially expanded treatment:

"2018 outlook: He expects to play immediately as a freshman, even though he will not begin participating in workouts until late July. It's difficult to discount Schwartz's expectations. He has world-class speed and with injuries to Eli Stove and Will Hastings keeping them off the field until at least late int he season, the Tigers need a speedy receiver capable of running down field and filling the void as a jet-sweep player. Stove was especially deadly in that position, where he had more carries (30) than catches (29) in 2017.

Receivers coach Kodi Burns’ message to Schwartz in recent months has been simple: “Expect to compete because they’re really down right now and when I come in I should be able to take some first-team reps maybe my first or second day,” Schwartz said.

Auburn is expected to lean heavily on quarterback Jarrett Stidham, and with questions remaining at running back, the receivers will need to step up and help Stidham. Schwartz, out of all of the newcomers, could make the biggest impact simply because of his blazing speed."

All In: Ranking Auburn's scholarship players (No. 51) @ https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/All-In-Ranking-Auburns-scholarship-players-receiver-Anthony-Schwartz-No-51-119338158/

On 6/19/2018 at 11:00 AM, aubiefifty said:

"P — Arryn Siposs

Perhaps none of Auburn’s 17 newcomers are headed for a bigger role than the former professional Australian rules football player, who might have sewn up the starting punter gig as soon as he signed his letter of intent. The Tigers ranked 102nd nationally averaging 39.47 yards per punt in 2017. Siposs comes from the home of the last five Ray Guy Award winners and has a cannon for a leg."

Again, probably not new but, maybe, a somewhat expanded discussion.

"No. 48: P Arryn Siposs, freshman

Recruiting ranking: 3 stars, 0.8161 247Sports Composite; No. 6 punter

NotableArryn Siposs is a 25-year-old former pro Aussie rules football player. His highlights playing Aussie rules football are incredibly fun to watch. He’s not just a kicker, but he can lay a lick on opponents as well. He’s got a heck of a leg capable of cornering kicks and punting balls at the most extreme angles. Watching him in action should excited Auburn fans, but there’s not telling what kind of college football punter they will get until he arrives on campus. History, however, is on Auburn’s side. The last five winners of the Ray Guy Awards (the nation’s best punter) have hailed from ProKick Australia, where Siposs has trained as he prepares for his career with the Auburn Tigers."

Sorry. ETA “...Tell you what, I would bet he’s not going to be scared to tackle, because he’s been tackling without pads on," Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said in February. "So I bet he’ll tackle somebody.”

All In: Ranking Auburn's scholarship players (No. 48), @

https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/All-In-Ranking-Auburns-scholarship-players-punter-Arryn-Siposs-No-48-119373580/

4 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Recruiting ranking: 3 stars, 0.8161 247Sports Composite; No. 6 punter

Curious, who are the five that are better.  Too lazy to google search.

10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

??Not a clue??

Maybe as important, where did they go? All 5 to other SECW teams?

10 hours ago, oracle79 said:

11 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

??Not a clue??

Maybe as important, where did they go? All 5 to other SECW teams?

I would guess they are dudes who actually played high school football in the US and therefore got a more... thorough?... evaluation. 

On 6/19/2018 at 3:56 PM, AuburnHardware said:

I love running sideways for a punt.  Running is the same thing as hang time.  It also sets up a fake punt.  He's a pretty big guy right?

Yes, our Aussie Rules Rugby, converted punter is a pretty big dude. 6'2" and 200 pds. Most of his film show him punting like an American style punter. He might be able to run sideways and punt but I have not seen it.

Archived