Bo Jackson on steroids?

AUloggerhead

Link

Compare & constrast Bo's denial to using steroids with the current baseball players accused of steroids. Jackson's denial is immediate and slaps a lawsuit on the newspaper. How come the baseball players don't do the same?

CHICAGO -- Bo Jackson filed a defamation lawsuit Wednesday against a California newspaper that quoted a dietary expert who said the former two-sport star used steroids.

The lawsuit was filed in Cook County against the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin, MediaNews Group Inc., MediaNews Group Interactive, Inc., sports writer Jim Mohr, who is now sports editor, and three other employees of the newspaper.

"I've got nothing to hide," Jackson said at a news conference before the White Sox's game against the Cleveland Indians. "If anyone wants to check into my medical past, go get blood tests, go check up on those blood tests and see if there was any anabolic steroids in it. You're more than welcome."

Jackson is suing for unspecified general and punitive damages. His lawyer, Dan Biederman, also said they want the newspaper to print a retraction.

Steve Lambert, the editor of the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin and The Sun of San Bernardino, said it was too early for the newspaper to comment on the lawsuit.

"We're still investigating the situation," he said.

Mohr did not immediately return a call for comment Wednesday night.

In a story published March 24 under Mohr's byline, dietary expert Ellen Coleman was quoted as saying she knew personally that "Bo Jackson lost his hip because of anabolic abuse."

Jackson, the only player to be named to the NFL's Pro Bowl and appear in baseball's All-Star game, injured his hip playing for the Oakland Raiders in 1991 in a playoff game against the Cincinnati Bengals. He did play baseball that season for the Chicago White Sox and had a hip replacement the next year. He returned to baseball in 1993 and spent one more season in Chicago before signing with the California Angels and then retiring in 1994. He won the Heisman Trophy as a running back for Auburn in 1985.

Jackson said he found the story from the newspaper online, and at least one person called him about it. Biederman said he then contacted Coleman, who denied making any statements about Jackson. She provided the lawyer with a videotape of her speech at a Riverside, Calif., sports forum to back up her claim.

"At no time during my speech or while speaking individually to Jim Mohr did I use or mention the name Bo Jackson," Coleman said in a signed affidavit.

Jackson, now a businessman who lives in suburban Chicago, talks to children about health and nutrition issues. He denied ever using or even seeing steroids in any form.

"I'm not going to sit here and say, 'Maybe I did or maybe I didn't,"' Jackson said. "I didn't. Never did. Never had to do."

I hope he takes them to the cleaners.

Guest Tigrinum Major

This is just ridiculous. If Bo had ever taken steroids, he would have killed some poor defensive back.

He is a once in a liftime athlete. I will always remember the cheer that went up when he entered his first football game at Auburn.

This is turning into the Red Scare, only it's about steroids. This is the latest thing for everyone to point fingers at each other about, and it's getting way out of hand. I can't watch ESPN for 10 minutes without it being brought up and I'm sick of it, especially when it comes to false accusations like this one.

Link

How come the baseball players don't do the same? 

154517[/snapback]

Just speculating--I have no inside information either way--but perhaps because the baseball players are guilty & know they couldn't win?

I think the NFL has stronger testing procedures than MLB at the moment, but I don't know what they were in Bo's playing days.

I love the part where Bo says, "I never had to." He knew he was a freak and I can only imagine (sorry MercyMe fans) what the record books would have looked like. They might have renamed the Hall of Fame to say "The Bo Jackson Football Hall of Fame". He's still the best athlete ever.

I like the fact that Bo is taking it to this newspaper and setting the facts straight. I agree with the Red Scare analogy, it is getting tedious to watch the same steroid stuff over and over on tv. After this lawsuit against a California paper is over maybe the media will think twice before pointing fingers at players. MLB needs a major house cleaning starting with the guy up top and working down.

wtf??? Just because you're a great athlete doesn't mean you take steroids! This is just another newspaper trying to draw attention by throwing out frivilous accusations that actually HURT people. Bo doesn't deserve any of this B.S. I hope he takes a page from the Paul "Bear" Bryant v. The Saturday Evening Post case.

Who in the hell is the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin anyway? Sounds like something that comes on a roll and catagorized by ply...

i'm emailing the editor to see if i can get a copy of the article. interestingly enough, it doesn't appear in the archives of their website (that i can find).

i'm not holding my breath, btw.

ct

154750[/snapback]

How about I just pick you up a copy since it's the current issue? PM me where to mail it and I'll send it over.

the original article where the steroid claims is in their current edition?

crud...now i'm going to look like (more of) an idiot! i surfed their website!!

what are they...a weekly or what?

Sorry guys, I got my tabs confused and thought I was in the Toomers Corner thread. heh... my bad. :) 25 hours w/o sleep and counting...

Here's the link to the article, which if you click can see it's been removed.

Article from the Daily Bulletin

But Google to the rescue! Gotta love thier cached pages!

Forum tackles the dangers of steroid use

By Jim Mohr

Staff Writer

RIVERSIDE - The tone was somber. The message was simple: Steroids kill.

Yet it seemed to be missing its mark with the 30-or-so teenagers attending a forum on the effects of these drugs at The Sport Clinic on Thursday.

So dietary expert Ellen Coleman switched tactics and hit them where it counts in their hormones.

"For you men out there, take note. Using anabolic steroids will shrink your testicles," Coleman said. "Your grapes will become raisins, and you will grow breasts."

She then turned to the women.

"Guess what ladies, if you take these things, here is what you are in for," she said, a gleam in her eyes. "You will grow facial hair, and lots of it. You will grow body hair. Your voice will deepen, and, while the men will see their genitalia shrink, yours will get bigger."

The look of wide-eyed horror from those in the audience was enough to appease the dietitian. She wasn't trying to scare them. She was trying to explain to them the realities of juicing and for good reason.

"More 10th-graders today are doing steroids than are doing angel dust or PCP," she said. "While the National Institutes of Health puts its latest survey of high school seniors doing steroids at 3.7 percent, I think that is too conservative. The number is more like 10 percent."

Coleman should know. She has been studying steroid abuse and performance enhancement supplements for more than 20 years and she has seen it destroy careers, lives and emerging dreams.

"Bo Jackson lost his hip because of anabolic abuse," she said, citing an example of how she personally witnessed the damage on someone's life.

"There are two reasons in America why steroids continue to see an increase in usage," she said. "First, we want to win. Second, we want to be the best.

"There was a study done in 2001 by the National Institutes of Health that found that 95 percent of Olympic athletes asked, said if there was a performance-enhancing drug out there that would ensure them a gold medal, they would take it, even if it killed them in five years."

There is another way to get bigger and gain muscle without juicing, Coleman noted.

"Eat lots of protein, time your eating cycle and lift weights like a mad person," she told the youngsters. "Most of the supplements out there don't work."

One of those that does and that Coleman advocates is Creatine.

Contrary to the myths, she told the audience, "there have been 500 studies done on Creatine and all of them show it increases mass, strength and speed."

There were a few nods of approval from those in attendance, until the 52-year-old avid hiker waved the yellow flag.

"Most supplements come from Mexico," she said. "There are no regulations, and you do not know what you are getting when you buy them. Look at Nitroxi III, which the Angels looked into taking. It lists Vaso Dialis and Stimugrow as two of its ingredients. These are made up terms. They sound sexy, but they don't exist."

The audience was alert now. Who wouldn't be after hearing about testicle shrinkage for men, facial growth for women, and money wasted on products that in Coleman's terms "do little more to benefit you than a sugar pill, and a lot more to hurt you."

It seems that this isn't a new accusation:

Someone else speculating Bo on steroids

What's wrong with these people?

Archived