Dye-Gest: Set a Positive Tone

aubiefifty

5 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Use to talk with a guy at a gym in Auburn who's business provided a service that many players used (yes I don't want him or his business known). He said a problem with these players is there alot of them that like what comes with being a Auburn football players but don't like being an Auburn football player. They like the gear and the popularity but they don't like the work. One popular transfer he told me sat in his business and stated he would be the starter if he really wanted to.

I think an issue might be our staff is too easy on the players and that hinders development.

There is a combination of things here.   One, being the culture should not be like this.   Second, character and desire to be great needs to be evaluated at a higher rate.  Football IQ needs to be important.   Now  things can change once a guy gets to college and his new found freedoms are in front of him as we all know.  So there will be some misses but there can be less misses if we evaluate those things more so than just star chasing.

7 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

There is a combination of things here.   One, being the culture should not be like this.   Second, character and desire to be great needs to be evaluated at a higher rate.  Football IQ needs to be important.   Now  things can change once a guy gets to college and his new found freedoms are in front of him as we all know.  So there will be some misses but there can be less misses if we evaluate those things more so than just star chasing.

Which is why I feel the coaches are too easy on them. Culture in college shouldn't be that way, but it is the culture that the majority of these athletes have come from their entire lives and are accustomed to. Especially football players. So combine trying to change that culture, elevate their desire level, improve their character, along with the new found freedoms of college as freshmen and of course they are going to hate it unless they are willing to adjust.

These kids are told their it, treated like they are it since elementary school, told they will be it in college, and then it in the NFL despite only 1% of all players making it there.

Alot of character/desire is developed during the college years. Sport IQ can be developed and should be developed in the college years. Just like alot of physical development is done in the college years. Lot of this stuff is basic mental and physical maturation of the individual and human body.

But if you are too easy then players won't develop any of it, and yes sometimes you have to run players that could be great off cause they won't work.

There is alot of difference in the attitude of football players at Auburn from the time that I did my first degree and then going back and doing my second.

Before injury I was a D1 athlete for a top program in my sport. So I've personal earned knowledge of how many things work in this regard.

I also got a real good look at them during my second when I kicked one out of my group cause they wanted to be carried academically.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

I'm willing to change my mind about recruiting if you can show me a coach somewhere/anywhere who would out-recruit bama or Georgia?    Every year about 100 HCs try to get the best talent they can recruit so it's not like everyone just rolls over for bama or Georgia.....but you have to consider how much time to spend on guys where your chance is about 5% or less.   I've seen us go after a couple players we really wanted against bama (the Auburn HS guys) and spend hours and money and get NOTHING for the effort and had only about 5% chance.... and we often get played by the kids and bama in the process.   

Try to recruit to needs and work on guys where there is some possibility of getting them. JMO  

Needed my secret decoder pin but I cracked your code.

I hear what you're sayin'!!

counting money.gif

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Use to talk with a guy at a gym in Auburn who's business provided a service that many players used (yes I don't want him or his business known). He said a problem with these players is there alot of them that like what comes with being a Auburn football players but don't like being an Auburn football player. They like the gear and the popularity but they don't like the work. One popular transfer he told me sat in his business and stated he would be the starter if he really wanted to.

I think an issue might be our staff is too easy on the players and that hinders development.

That's a "mental" problem.  When a HC asserts his authority he will lay down the expectations, give the player the guidance and direction to reach the teams expectations and then hold them accountable.  Everybody has to DO THEIR JOB!

Auburn has some mentally weak individuals, it was evident on the field when you watch some folks perform.  The lack of self discipline,  loafing and in a game or two this year way too many guys just flat out laid down and let the opponent run right over them.  Or when we see leaders and upperclassmen cutting up on the sidelines when a rival is whipping their ass, like guys didn't even GAS.  Or when the opponent's QB runs up the gut for nearly 200 yrds on our defense and not one defensive player stepped up and put a stop to it?  And not one coach adjusted the damn defense?  (Those MSU/UT losses still eat at me.)

1 minute ago, keesler said:

That's a "mental" problem.  When a HC asserts his authority he will lay down the expectations, give the player the guidance and direction to reach the teams expectations and then hold them accountable.  Everybody has to DO THEIR JOB!

Auburn has some mentally weak individuals, it was evident on the field when you watch some folks perform.  The lack of self discipline,  loafing and in a game or two this year way too many guys just flat out laid down and let the opponent run right over them.  Or when we see leaders and upperclassmen cutting up on the sidelines when a rival is whipping their ass, like guys didn't even GAS.  Or when the opponent's QB runs up the gut for nearly 200 yrds on our defense and not one defensive player stepped up and put a stop to it?  And not one coach adjusted the damn defense?  (Those MSU/UT losses still eat at me.)

I agree. Why I said I think the staff is too easy on the players.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

People didn’t like it when I said we should be  aggressive and less passive. Still rubs me raw that Big Kat didn’t take offense to what that Bammer did to him. We need nasty mean streak defenders. I personally enjoy it when the NFL offensive linemen start going after the defenders for taking cheap shots on their QB. 

3 minutes ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I agree. Why I said I think the staff is too easy on the players.

I don't know if the staff is easy on them, I just don't think this staff (CGM) has a clear vision for what they want as a program.  Lack of an identity is another word for it.  A HC has to know what he wants, and at the SEC level he has to be have the ability to implement a system to communicate his plan.  Provide a clear set of expectations for everyone...... all the way down to the dozens of GA's & support staffers that should be keeping tabs on how many games a freshman has played so that redshirt doesn't get burned. :banghead:

If the HC is so scattered out, that he doesn't know if he should be a CEO or an OC, essentially flip flopping from one extreme to the other then how the hell can he translate his plan and vision all the way down to the individual player level?  This HC on-the-job-training is for the birds and I hope Auburn NEVER puts themselves in a position to have to go through this again.

4 hours ago, gravejd said:

Good statement from a company man. 

I don’t like people dissing Asa and definitely not Dye. As far as I can tell AU screwed the kid over and may have cost him a year of playing the sport he loves. I have no doubt the redshirt screw up played into his decision to transfer. I mean how could it not. And the idea that anyone knows if this kid is a div 1 talent or not is laughable to me. If he isn’t and AU saw that and intentionally screwed up his redshirt then that is even worse then doing it by accident. Someone associated with the program should publicly apologize and explain how this happened. 

Dye's petty, and his comments regarding Asa were unnecessary.  His hemorrhoids were irritated that some podunk radio host in freaking Dothan wanted to take issue with how the AU coaching staff manged Asa's freshman year.  

To say Asa "quit because he wanted to quit" is asinine, Dye has no idea what went on with that player or how the coaches handled him or communicatins with his parents.  To go further and insinuate that it's his "guess" that he'll end up at JaxState or UAB or a "place like that" is intentionally devaluing Asa's talent level.  

Dye's public comments serve no purpose, he should've voluntarily removed himself from the public spectrum with regards to anything relative to the Auburn football program long ago.  JMHO, the old guy needs to stay off the radio airwaves, give it up once and for all.  

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Needed my secret decoder pin but I cracked your code.

I hear what you're sayin'!!

counting money.gif

😃  I think Ole Miss tried that....only a few schools can do that and get away with it....and we ain't among them....

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

😃  I think Ole Miss tried that....only a few schools can do that and get away with it....and we ain't among them....

No doubt about that.  Auburn has to be X-tra good!

It takes a special process to get the best out of players these days. 

2 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

People didn’t like it when I said we should be  aggressive and less passive. Still rubs me raw that Big Kat didn’t take offense to what that Bammer did to him. We need nasty mean streak defenders. I personally enjoy it when the NFL offensive linemen start going after the defenders for taking cheap shots on their QB. 

My husband says we need ankle biters...

It's fine if Dye wants to get excited. From this point, I'll postpone any excitement until I see a difference on the field. I've stepped off of the Malzahn roller coaster.  

4 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

My husband says we need ankle biters...

Haha. Whatever it takes to get the job done. That takes some fortitude and will and a good amount of listerine though. I’m sure Auburn football can supply the Listerine.

8 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I like mean streaks. Why I love hockey and if I had grown up in the right area would of played. Lol, hockey is the only sport that will openly admit to paying individuals who's main purpose is to rough up players that get rough with the skill positions.

Archived