UAB game

cole256

16 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

I think a big part of the issue against UAB was the groupings on the floor weren't used to running offensive sets with each other. Especially in the first half. And once the game was heading down that path, it is very difficult to just call a timeout and reset with our usual lineup. That ability to reset mentally is part of what Cole is talking about having a mentally weak game. Championship teams can let bad possessions and even bad halves go, and focus in on the remaining time. 

Yes not saying it like I'm trashing our team. This is the hardest thing for good teams to do, even the professionals but it's something we have to ask for everyday. We all know none of us are perfect but chasing perfection we may achieve greatness.

On 12/17/2018 at 11:28 AM, JwgreDeux said:

CBP absolutely got out coached in this one. I said the primary thing to watch for us in this game was the rotations with the addition of Puriofy, and they were a train wreck. I don't know if that is how CBP had it planned out, or if fouls forced, him to deviate. Either way, the entire first half rotations were puzzling. I'm not excusing anyone's play or any of the bad shooting, but rotating that way putting guys in spots they aren't used to is going to affect them. Combine that with UAB playing well above their average (probably near their ceiling), and you get what we saw. I've also said all along this was Harper's team and he was the key. He showed that again tonight. He closed out the first half and the game.  

In my preseason expectations post, I said I thought we would lose 4 non-con games. Right now we only have one loss, but have two overtime wins against inferior teams. This game was exactly what I was concerned about. What would the chemistry be like as we add guys back to the mix. This wasn't Purifoy's fault, but CBP's rotations were off, which is why you saw him take Purifoy out of the rotation in the second half. Not because Purifoy was playing poorly, but because the coaching staff knew everything was out of wack. 

Glad to be able to learn from that game and still have a W. Props to UAB they played their butts off. As far as other teams following that game plan, like @cole256 mentioned, it is very difficult to get players to play that slow for the whole game. Teams will not be able to just decide we are going to play slow against AU. Its very hard to get players to play that disciplined all game long. I wouldn't worry about other teams using UAB's gameplan as much as I would worry about our own staff figuring out how to play all ten guys going forward. 

I wrote this the beginning of November I expected this so I'm not freaking out. It's important that we improve each game though

On 11/7/2018 at 6:47 PM, cole256 said:

Lastly don't implode when we lose to somebody that's not that good. Chemistry is very important in basketball, we have alot of new parts. 

Mustapha is probably one of the best iso creators we’ve ever had so it’s illogical to compare, but I have so far not seen the guy that can break his matchup down solo yet. I’d give Samir’s handles like a 6.5/7 but he rarely does all that to create offense for others. It’d be cool if we found another guy similar to that next season 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Mustapha is probably one of the best iso creators we’ve ever had so it’s illogical to compare, but I have so far not seen the guy that can break his matchup down solo yet. I’d give Samir’s handles like a 6.5/7 but he rarely does all that to create offense for others. It’d be cool if we found another guy similar to that next season 

Yes exactly. He was a bucket getter.  He was our answer to when teams want to slow the pace to a crawl. I don't know if Harper can break down defenses consistently enough as the year goes on to be our counter to slow paced teams but he definitely did it vs UAB.

Archived