Assistant Coaches Interviews: 8/15/19

Auburn Kev

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Two coaches have refuted your point. Just admit what the board already knows, you talk out if your ass 90% of the time. You'll feel so much better once you do. You're such a clown.

Just keep moving those goalpost, jeffy.

Don’t think you understand the concept of moving goalposts because my position has never changed. 

As  for the “rest of the board” stuff...I’m sorry if I caught you in your feelings. It’s okay to have a good cry!! I promise.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/15/2019 at 5:30 AM, bigbird said:

Because potential vs actual is a trying concept for fans.

On 8/15/2019 at 5:39 AM, aujeff11 said:

Coe

+

Brown

+

Davidson

actual

On 8/15/2019 at 6:00 AM, bigbird said:

Wrong. Like I said, a trying concept. Until they play this year and until they finish as one of the best DL in the country, then it's all potential. 

2018: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Unrealized potential

2018: Pre-season rank #3

2019: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Potential

2019: Pre-season #8

On 8/16/2019 at 12:19 PM, toddc said:

Kevin Steele doesn’t get caught up in the hype. As a veteran coach, he’s not programmed that way.

So, when he hears people talking about Auburn’s defensive line being the best in the country and the Tigers being expected to field a top-tier defense this season, the fourth-year defensive coordinator just shakes his head. Sure, he knows what the defense is bringing back to the fold this year — five experienced starters in the secondary, three potential early-round NFL Draft picks along the defensive line and a supremely athletic linebacker corps — but all that external prognosticating is based off last year’s production and projecting it to this year’s potential.

“Obviously, part of the process, part of the standard is this is a new football team,” Steele said. “Everybody always says that’s last year, so how does anybody know what we are? They’ve never seen this defense. We, as coaches, are just now seeing, so to project what this defense is, I know the pundits need — that’s part of preseason hype; that’s part of what makes college football great. It’s going to happen, but the truth of the matter is we haven’t proven anything…. (but) we have an opportunity before us to be very good at what we do.”

Now Steele says the same thing and you continue to argue. It's what you do, we get it.  It does makes you look like a clown though.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Now Steele says the same thing and you continue to argue. It's what you do, we get it.  It does makes you look like a clown though.

Would you expect coach speak to sound any differently? Steele is also talking about the whole defense, not just the defensive line. If anything, you’re the one moving the goalposts.

As for the clown stuff, you can keep doubling down on it but it’s water on a duck’s back.

4 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Would you expect coach speak to sound any differently? Steele is also talking about the whole defense, not just the defensive line. If anything, you’re the one moving the goalposts.

And now it's about coach speak.

What he said isn't an opinion and it's not coach speak. It is a fact. Everything we bring back is being projected to be great based on last year's actual performances. This year they have great potential but haven't done anything to be considered great...yet.

Nothing but a clown.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Everything we bring back is being projected to be great based on last year's actual performances

I don’t know about all our returning pieces being great. We have the depth to where even modest improvement can show up as well. When  we have so much experience coming back, it’s okay to assume players are not going to take steps back, or our players forget how to play football. 

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

This year they have great potential but haven't done anything to be considered great...yet.

That’s because our record is still 0-0.

The 3 DL pieces coming back would be in NFL training camp right now, but keep fighting back against optimism. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

but keep fighting back against optimism. 

Quit fighting facts and reality.

I'm not fighting optimism. I think they have great potential and an excellent opportunity to be the best DL in AU history. 

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That’s because our record is still 0-0.

Therefore, it's all potential. I don't know why your fighting that. It's beyond silly. 

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Therefore, it's all potential. I don't know why your fighting that. It's beyond silly. 

you’re*

No what was beyond silly was fighting back against our DL being a team strength when 99% of our fans and most coaches would agree as well. 

05251ba5f6035c59205dbe6d0ad440bfa5d6a9-v

You're comprehension is unbelievable. When did I ever say they wouldn't be a strength? I've said multiple times they should be a strength, but until they prove it, it's just potential. A concept that you still can't comprehend.  Just stop. Clown.

9 minutes ago, bigbird said:

When did I ever say they wouldn't be a strength?

When was my argument ever anything but such? 

11 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Just stop. Clown.

The picture is cute. My first response was met with unintelligent ad hominems and immaturity. But you keep doing you. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

When was my argument ever anything but such? 

Coe

+

Brown

+

Davidson

actual

Just now, bigbird said:

Are you saying Coe+Brown+Davidson doesn’t already have enough actual evidence to support their case of being a team strength? 

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Are you saying Coe+Brown+Davidson doesn’t already have enough actual evidence to support their case of being a team strength? 

They certainly have the potential to be.

Again, you don't understand potential vs actual. Read Steele's words again. He is saying the same thing I have been saying to you.

However, I understand you're having difficulty. So let's try to be a little simpler for you.

In 2019, the DL has the potential to be great. In 2019, they haven't shown anything yet. You can't say that the 2019 DL is great until they actually prove it. 

For example, the 2018 DL had similar hype last preseason. As shown by the 2018 national DL stats, they didn't achieve that potential with their actual performances. 

Foolishness and stubbornness is a great quality. Keep on fighting.

If this is still stemming from me d line being a team strength wasn't ever the question, it was the claim being the best in the nation

Staffs everywhere have adopted the Saban 'One Voice" strategy, but I really wish Gus would let his staff talk to the media during the season. I think it would help him and it would help give his staff some experience dealing with the media going forward in their career. These guys are a well-spoken group, it's not like they would be dangerous to turn loose for some post-game thoughts.

12 minutes ago, cole256 said:

If this is still stemming from me d line being a team strength wasn't ever the question, it was the claim being the best in the nation

You know how it works...

tenor.gif?itemid=12540411

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Would you expect coach speak to sound any differently?

I am not taking sides in the big picture of the argument you & Bird are having but come on now Jeff you have to know better. You've been around here long enough to know Coach Steele doesn't do coach speak. He rarely if ever has. One of the things all the AU reporters have said they enjoy & is refreshing about him is his straight forward nature in answering question when he can answer them.

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

For example, the 2018 DL had similar hype last preseason. As shown by the 2018 national DL stats, they didn't achieve that potential with their actual performances.

The DL was fine, not great, but still a team strength last year. Can’t blame the DL against Mississippi State when linebackers aren’t hitting the right holes or taking themselves out of play. Now, do the linebacker and secondary national rankings. 

20 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Again, you don't understand potential vs actual. Read Steele's words again. He is saying the same thing I have been saying to you.

Steele’s words of coach speak regarding the whole defense, and not the DL by itself really butters your toast doesn’t it? 

16 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I actually told Bird that our preseason DLranking at 8 could arguably go up or down. He still kept chirping though.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Foolishness and stubbornness is a great quality. Keep on fighting.

Irony.

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

You know how it works...

tenor.gif?itemid=12540411

It’s funny how I never claimed we were going to be the best, but yet you think I’m the one moving the goalposts.

But then again, you’re all bark, no bite. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

The DL was fine, not great, but still a team strength last year. 

Wait. So now, the DL that you've touted as great and the reason for their greatness this year was "fine, not great"? Interesting.

You keep trying to shift the conversation to team strength. That's not, nor has it ever been, what the two of us have been talking about. Stay on point. Potential vs actual.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Wait. So now, the DL that you've touted as great and the reason for their greatness this year was "fine, not great"? Interesting.

Link? I actually said “we were a bonafide pass rusher from being Clemson level.”

But don’t let facts get in your way.

You keep trying to shift the conversation to team strength.

That’s all it ever was from the beginning. I even told you that our preseason ranking at 8 could be argued up or down. Your comprehension skills need a tune up. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s funny how I never claimed we were going to be the best, but yet you think I’m the one moving the goalposts.

But then again, you’re all bark, no bite. 

Again, since you're confused. Here is the conversation, how it started, and the post. No where in it is team strength talked about except at the end when you claimed, "Auburn’s returning starters are actual evidence that the DL will be a strength."

On 8/14/2019 at 8:09 PM, cole256 said:

How do you know we are one of the best if not the best defensive fronts?

On 8/15/2019 at 5:30 AM, bigbird said:

Because potential vs actual is a trying concept for fans.

Coe

+

Brown

+

Davidson

actual

On 8/15/2019 at 6:00 AM, bigbird said:

Wrong. Like I said, a trying concept. Until they play this year and until they finish as one of the best DL in the country, then it's all potential. 

2018: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Unrealized potential

2018: Pre-season rank #3

2019: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Potential

2019: Pre-season #8

On 8/15/2019 at 6:13 AM, aujeff11 said:

Auburn’s DL stats last year wasn’t all on them. 

Auburn’s returning starters are actual evidence that the DL will be a strength.

Moultry wasn’t very far off last year he just needed a year to acclimate. 

Truesdell will potentially be a low 3* hero. 

Preseason Top 8? Can go up or down. Preseason rankings are pointless anyway. 

Quit trying to change the subject.

Preseason Top 8? Can go up or down

Thanks for proving that I’m not moving the goalposts. 

Archived