William Saletan guts Trump's handling of the pandemic

TitanTiger

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/14/coronavirus-supplies-ppe-shortage-fda-395560

Masks, surgical gowns, testing supplies on FDA shortage list

The shortage list was released hours after President Donald Trump touted the progress his administration has made in securing critical protective gear.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Your total inability to refute any particular point in the OP article speaks for itself. Your - and Mikey's - responses are the rhetorical equivalent of sticking your heads up your asses. 

I expected no less.

They don't address actual points.  They just deem the source ritually impure then sneer.

3 minutes ago, AFTiger said:

As a denier who will not accept facts, you have reacted as you usual.

I'm the one offering facts; you are the one refusing to address them..  You've offered none except to bitch about sources you don't like.  

On 8/14/2020 at 1:06 PM, homersapien said:

Our healthcare/economic system has no incentive to stockpile anything on the basis it might be needed - in fact, it's just the opposite, ever heard of "just in time" operations?  Surplus inventories play havoc with the bottom line.

As much as I hate to say it, this was the case before Trump, and I'm not sure if the next admin will have any financial incentive (re: donors) to fix this problem. While I think a PO would help (regardless of what disagreements I have on principle), I am very skeptical of the Dem establishment's willingness to fight for even that.

Mind you, I do think a Dem president would've kept the CDC fully funded. And accepted WHO tests.

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

As much as I hate to say it, this was the case before Trump, and I'm not sure if the next admin will have any financial incentive (re: donors) to fix this problem. While I think a PO would help (regardless of what disagreements I have on principle), I am very skeptical of the Dem establishment's willingness to fight for even that.

Mind you, I do think a Dem president would've kept the CDC fully funded. And accepted WHO tests.

Of course.  Its a side effect of our economic system. I agree it won't be changed.  That's exactly what government is for.

Don't know what you mean by a "PO".

My point was that a properly prepared POTUS would have anticipated such supply problems before they became so obvious.  And Trump apparently has yet to address it.

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Of course.  Its a side effect of our economic system. I agree it won't be changed.  That's exactly what government is for.

Don't know what you mean by a "PO".

My point was that a properly prepared POTUS would have anticipated such supply problems before they became so obvious.  And Trump apparently has yet to address it.

My bad, I tend to use acronyms too much LOL. Public option.

But I do believe that however gradually we must fix this problem.

Still, your last point is correct.

Archived