William Saletan guts Trump's handling of the pandemic

TitanTiger

Honestly, the article is too long to just reprint here.  When you read the volume and variety of ways in which this president ignored medical advice, obstructed measures to mitigate, spun myths, lies and half-truths, attacked and cowed those in his control who tried to nudge him to take it more seriously, and abdicated responsibility, it's stunning.  He deserves to lose in November on the basis of his handing of this one thing all by itself.

Even with the leftward slant of the more editorial portions, the facts are just beyond damning.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/trump-coronavirus-deaths-timeline.html

they will just scream fake news. and pence goes right along with him and tells some whoppers. i would love to know how he justifies that as a christian. first they hung him on a cross and now they have hung him out to dry.

Don't ignore the fact that Obama - Biden were in charge when the stockpile was depleted and not refilled. Blaming Trump is just plain idiotic.

35 minutes ago, AFTiger said:

Don't ignore the fact that Obama - Biden were in charge when the stockpile was depleted and not refilled. Blaming Trump is just plain idiotic.

Yeah, because that one thing outweighs all of the other dumb s*** he did and reasonable stuff he's failed do. <_<

Playing the Monday morning QB is always fun, since hindsight vision is a perfect 20-20. I do remember politicians on the Left screaming "racist" when President Trump declared the travel ban on China, then moaning even more when he banned travel to European countries. But now he didn't do enough? Ok......

Lets all join Pelosi at her Chinatown "street party". After all, she invited us.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Playing the Monday morning QB is always fun, since hindsight vision is a perfect 20-20. I do remember politicians on the Left screaming "racist" when President Trump declared the travel ban on China, then moaning even more when he banned travel to European countries. But now he didn't do enough? Ok......

Lets all join Pelosi at her Chinatown "street party". After all, she invited us.

But it's not Monday morning QB stuff.  People didn't sit by, say nothing while he fumbled around, then only come up and tell him how terrible his decisions were months after the fact.  They were telling him all along.  But he wouldn't listen, none of his yes-men and yes-women would tell him, and his supporters lapped up all the bull**** he pushed about it and enabled him.

Pelosi is a non-sequitur.  She's not President.

Um, yeah, when he uses the pandemic as an excuse to act on his xenophobic tendencies instead of doing the things that would actually help us once the virus inevitably got here, then yes, that's racist, that's doing nothing, and that is just one more in a stockpile of reasons to focus on blaming the guy currently make the terrible decisions and costing American lives.

The Strangelove reference in the other thread was frighteningly on point. These people are actually enjoying this ride.

Best Slim Pickens GIFs | Gfycat

5 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Honestly, the article is too long to just reprint here.  When you read the volume and variety of ways in which this president ignored medical advice, obstructed measures to mitigate, spun myths, lies and half-truths, attacked and cowed those in his control who tried to nudge him to take it more seriously, and abdicated responsibility, it's stunning.  He deserves to lose in November on the basis of his handing of this one thing all by itself.

Even with the leftward slant of the more editorial portions, the facts are just beyond damning.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/08/trump-coronavirus-deaths-timeline.html

I just hope the Biden team can generate an effective commercial with all this material.  Maybe get the folks from "The Lincoln Project" to help?

7 hours ago, AFTiger said:

Sorry, the "Obama's fault" dog won't hunt.  People know better. 

Our healthcare/economic system has no incentive to stockpile anything on the basis it might be needed - in fact, it's just the opposite, ever heard of "just in time" operations?  Surplus inventories play havoc with the bottom line.

On the other hand, Obama left a pandemic instruction plan which Trump trashed as soon as he took office.  This plan addressed the need for pandemic supplies and there were mechanisms already in place (Defense Production Act of 1950) for the government to address such a need. 

If Obama had still been president he would have undoubtedly been aggressively utilizing such strategies.  At the time, Trump was dismissing the threat, calling it a "Democratic hoax".  And he's been minimizing the threat ever since.

Thanks to Trump, we are a global example of failed leadership regarding this epidemic, and it's not over yet.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Sorry, the "Obama's fault" dog won't hunt.  People know better. 

Our healthcare/economic system has no incentive to stockpile anything on the basis it might be needed - in fact, it's just the opposite, ever heard of "just in time" operations?  Surplus inventories play havoc with the bottom line.

On the other hand, Obama left a pandemic instruction plan which Trump trashed as soon as he took office.  This plan addressed the need for pandemic supplies and there were mechanisms already in place (Defense Production Act of 1950) for the government to address such a need. 

If Obama had still been president he would have undoubtedly been aggressively utilizing such strategies.  At the time, Trump was dismissing the threat, calling it a Democratic hoax.  And he's been minimizing the threat ever since.

Thanks to Trump, we are a global example of failed leadership regarding this epidemic, and it's not over yet.

Scientific response to pandemic: More testing

trump's (actual, real) response to pandemic: If you don't test, you can't have positive cases

8 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

they will just scream fake news. and pence goes right along with him and tells some whoppers. i would love to know how he justifies that as a christian. first they hung him on a cross and now they have hung him out to dry.

Trump has been doing this for 35 years or so. The people that voted for him probably knew that. 

Voting AGAINST HRC and the Elitists got us DJT.
Voting AGAINST Trump is going to get us Biden. 

One of these days, enough of us are going to get tired of this "Voting Against Someone" s*** and try and fix it.
Right now, we are on a long losing streak of Voting Against Someone. And for maybe Obama, it keeps biting us in the ass.

Voting Against  McGovern, gave us Nixon
Voting Against  Nixon, gave us Carter
Overall, i think we voted for Reagan.
Voting Against  Dukakis, gave us Bush41
Voting Against  Bush41, gave us Clinton
Voting Against  Voting against Clinton and Kerry, gave us Bush43
Voting Against  the Bushies, gave us Obama-not a bad choice at all, not perfect, but not bad.
Voting Against  Obama-HRC, gave us Trump
Voting Against  Trump, gave us Biden.

IMHO, maybe 2 winners in the whole group.

17 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Trump has been doing this for 35 years or so. The people that voted for him probably knew that. 

Voting AGAINST HRC and the Elitists got us DJT.
Voting AGAINST Trump is going to get us Biden. 

One of these days, enough of us are going to get tired of this "Voting Against Someone" s*** and try and fix it.
Right now, we are on a long losing streak of Voting Against Someone. And for maybe Obama, it keeps biting us in the ass.

Voting Against  McGovern, gave us Nixon
Voting Against  Nixon, gave us Carter
Overall, i think we voted for Reagan.
Voting Against  Dukakis, gave us Bush41
Voting Against  Bush41, gave us Clinton
Voting Against  Voting against Clinton and Kerry, gave us Bush43
Voting Against  the Bushies, gave us Obama-not a bad choice at all, not perfect, but not bad.
Voting Against  Obama-HRC, gave us Trump
Voting Against  Trump, gave us Biden.

IMHO, maybe 2 winners in the whole group.

Pretty much nailed it. I did vote FOR Bush 41. Voted FOR Obama the first time he ran, AGAINST Obama the second time he ran but for me personally, your list is mostly good.

22 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Pelosi is a non-sequitur.  She's not President.

She's a perfect example of the hypocrites who griped about Trump over-reacting and then griped that he didn't do enough. Monday morning QB's if there ever was a group guilty of the practice.

The guy who wrote the article you posted isn't the President either but like Pelosi, he's commenting.

Just now, Mikey said:

She's a perfect example of the hypocrites who griped about Trump over-reacting and then griped that he didn't do enough. Monday morning QB's if there ever was a group guilty of the practice.

The guy who wrote the article you posted isn't the President either but like Pelosi, he's commenting.

Didn't read the link provided in the OP did you?

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

She's a sideline issue meant to avoid the central problem of Trump and his own incompetence.

3 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Didn't read the link provided in the OP did you?

When TT posted this, I figured it wasn't worth the time. "Even with the leftward slant of the more editorial portions,...."

37 minutes ago, Mikey said:

When TT posted this, I figured it wasn't worth the time. "Even with the leftward slant of the more editorial portions,...."

I didn't think so.  You are allergic to facts.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Well it is, at least for people that actually like to learn things and sift through facts.  Sorry if that's too taxing for your brain.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/14/coronavirus-supplies-ppe-shortage-fda-395560

Masks, surgical gowns, testing supplies on FDA shortage list

The shortage list was released hours after President Donald Trump touted the progress his administration has made in securing critical protective gear.

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

I didn't think so.  You are allergic to facts.

I've read enough falsehoods presented as facts in The Atlantic, Rolling Stone and Mother Jones to last a lifetime. I'm not interested in reading another looney lefty article.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

I've read enough falsehoods presented as facts in The Atlantic, Rolling Stone and Mother Jones to last a lifetime. I'm not interested in reading another looney lefty article.

It's so much easier to maintain all the stuff one already believes if you selectively filter out any source of potentially opposing views.

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

It's so much easier to maintain all the stuff one already believes if you selectively filter out any source of potentially opposing views.

AND this works as Gospel for both sides these days. When you realize that...Welcome to my world.

Don't leave out WaPost or NYT for misinformation. Both are unreliable and unsuitable for reference.

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

2 hours ago, AFTiger said:

Don't leave out WaPost or NYT for misinformation. Both are unreliable and unsuitable for reference.

Your total inability to refute any particular point in the OP article speaks for itself. Your - and Mikey's - responses are the rhetorical equivalent of sticking your heads up your asses. 

I expected no less.

Archived