Just an idea

creed

I live in Georgia, currently the epicenter of political tug-of-war. My mailbox is filled daily with flyers and my TV with adds. I can't imagine the money that is being spent on this race for senate. In my opinion, a lot of money is being wasted to sway few votes. With that, I have an idea, which I suppose could be adopted by any state. So here it is:

Any PAC, political party or candidate must match every dollar spent for adds/mailouts/etc. to fund (controlled by the state):

1) Science and technology education in elementary schools. (education)

2) No cost wellness checks for people of need. (health)

3) Creating enterprise zones for small business. (employment)

Add your ideas/suggestions. 

• creed changed the title to Just an idea

23 hours ago, creed said:

I live in Georgia, currently the epicenter of political tug-of-war. My mailbox is filled daily with flyers and my TV with adds. I can't imagine the money that is being spent on this race for senate. In my opinion, a lot of money is being wasted to sway few votes. With that, I have an idea, which I suppose could be adopted by any state. So here it is:

Any PAC, political party or candidate must match every dollar spent for adds/mailouts/etc. to fund (controlled by the state):

1) Science and technology education in elementary schools. (education)

2) No cost wellness checks for people of need. (health)

3) Creating enterprise zones for small business. (employment)

Add your ideas/suggestions. 

Except for that pesky 1st Amendment.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Repeal "Citizens United" and fund elections with Federal Tax dollars.

I agree that Citizens United was decided wrongly. But limiting money is very different than requiring folks to fund certain things in exchange for funding their preferred expressive activities.

1 minute ago, TexasTiger said:

I agree that Citizens United was decided wrongly. But limiting money is very different than requiring folks to fund certain things in exchange for funding their preferred expressive activities.

To me, public funding it no different that public funding for defense, science or anything else that's directed toward the common good and preservation of our democracy.  Currently, our politics are corrupted by money.  For politicians, money has become both a means and an end.

Public funding of elections would change that and refocus the purpose of elections to choosing candidates based on policies.

Short of complete public funding, strict financing regulation - such as putting a enforced limit on individual and corporate contributions would be a step (back) in the right direction.

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

To me, public funding it no different that public funding for defense, science or anything else that's directed toward the common good and preservation of our democracy.  Currently, our politics are corrupted by money.  For politicians, money has become both a means and an end.

Public funding of elections would change that and refocus the purpose of elections to choosing candidates based on policies.

Short of complete public funding, strict financing regulation - such as putting a enforced limit on individual and corporate contributions would be a step (back) in the right direction.

Spot on. 👍

Archived