Spuds McKenzie

Question  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Question

• Marketing genius
    • Sinister use of innocent dog to get children interested in beer

Guest Tigrinum Major

Spuds appeared either when I was a senior in high school or during my freshman year at Auburn. I was already interested in beer, most notably Miller Lite, but I did have a Spuds poster in my apartment. He did not get me to change brands, but he was cool.

He appeared my senior year of high school. I hate beer - never have touched it. Never will touch it. But I had Spuds posters, stuffed animals, everything. So their sinister marketing ploy failed with me. But I bought their crap, so they still got my cash.

I often find myself wondering who is more sinister, Spuds or Joe....Joe Camal that is.

JoeCamel.jpg

The playground. 2:00 pm. 99 sixth-graders scramble outside for recess. A small fire starts in the cafeteria and all the teachers, unaware it was a planned diversion, run in to help. Meanwhile, back in the schoolyard... a bull terrier struggles in through the gate from the street, dragging in his teeth the handle to a wagon full of ice-cold Bud Light. He lets the wagon come to a stop, he shifts around inside his Hawaiian shirt, and turns to the crowd of children and wags his tongue invitingly at them.

But today, the dog's got some competition. From the other side of the playground, a tall, cool, swinging fellow in a trenchcoat slides his way into view. He peers out one corner of his shades, and then out the other, making sure there are no teachers in sight, and then he opens up his coat, the inside of which is lined with packs upon packs of a wide variety of cigarettes and complimentary Zippo ™ lighters.

The end-of-recess bell will ring in twenty minutes. Just enough time for a youngster to work down their first beer... OR to have their first cigarette (including the time spent coughing). But no kid can have both. Two advertising legends of the sin industry stand opposite one another, prepared to fight to the death for this fresh new market, and with an odd number of kids and since no child will be able to resist, there can be no tie.

I can't vote, we need a third option:

"Rip-off of Stroh's Alex the Dog"

From the first classic Alex commercial:

"Alex, that better be your water you're drinking!"

One commercial even took a shot at Spuds. The man tells his friends that Alex can do imitations of other dogs. Alex runs off and comes back as a collie. The men recognize "Lassie". Another breed, this time "Rin Tin Tin". Eventually he comes back as a dog looking just like Spuds, and all the guys are looking around saying "I don't recognize this one" "Not sure" etc.

It's generally regarded as common knowledge that only the coolest kids in high school both smoke and drink. I consider both icons to be raging successes for the forces of good. They made me as cool as the Duke himself as a young buck and I continue to smoke and drink to this day!

It's generally regarded as common knowledge that only the coolest kids in high school both smoke and drink.  I consider both icons to be raging successes for the forces of good.  They made me as cool as the Duke himself as a young buck and I continue to smoke and drink to this day!

163193[/snapback]

Quick snapshot of WBone age 9

JoeCamelWins.jpg

What? Joe Camel has no affect on me.

I'm with DaddyBoyAU...there needs to be another option because I didn't buy any of that stuff and, well, Bud Light blows ass.

Alex from Stroh's...last time I heard that mentioned was when I heard "Funky Cold Medina" by Tone Loc. Stroh's blows ass, too, but the dog was much more hip.

I had no beef with the dog. But the Spuds lounge over at I85 and 280 in Opelika was a tough place. Beer was cold though!!!!!

I had no beef with the dog. But the Spuds lounge over at I85 and 280 in Opelika was a tough place. Beer was cold though!!!!!

163215[/snapback]

I can't believe someone else has been to SPUDZ Lounge. I had to go there for my 21st birthday since I had been using a fake ID at all the other bars in Auburn. Not that they could have done anything, I just wanted to avoid the awkwardness since I was known by name as a regular at a few of them. Spudz lounge had a wet t-shirt contest that night and all three girls in the bar were entered. Thank goodness for the Supper Club.

Alex, while not a stoke of marketing genius, was a piece of comedic genius.

I can't vote, we need a third option:

"Rip-off of Stroh's Alex the Dog"

From the first classic Alex commercial:

"Alex, that better be your water you're drinking!"

One commercial even took a shot at Spuds.  The man tells his friends that Alex can do imitations of other dogs.  Alex runs off and comes back as a collie.  The men recognize "Lassie".  Another breed, this time "Rin Tin Tin".  Eventually he comes back as a dog looking just like Spuds, and all the guys are looking around saying "I don't recognize this one" "Not sure" etc.

163185[/snapback]

Haa haa! 'Alex the Dog'! I had forgotten about that one. Those were good ads! :thumbsup:

But cute dog / good ads aside, neither of those campaigns did much in the way of selling me their product. I'm all for the idea of babes, beers and beachballs, but just not that cheap stuff!

As I sit in the Detroit Airport A terminal, I find myself in gridlock. I really wouldn't mind a cigarette and a beer. Only 6 hours left in my layover. Now I must ask myself do I brave the security lines, light frisking, and the rummaging around my luggage to have that smooth taste of a Turkish Blend outside? Or......do I gather my things and make that 20 yard haul to down a Bud Light free from distraction and interaction with any TSA special agents? A true test... I feel it would be best beneficial to myself to go to the bar, drink as many 8.00 beers as I can in one hour then make the trip for the Flavor Country. Edge: Spuds

Now this is just scary...

I was eating lunch at a place on Bourban St. called "Arnauds" and they have pictures of all celeb's that eat there.

Well, look who I see but a guy wearing this dogs outfit...obviously Bud Light had a promotion and had a guy eating dinner wearing it.

It's generally regarded as common knowledge that only the coolest kids in high school both smoke and drink.  I consider both icons to be raging successes for the forces of good.  They made me as cool as the Duke himself as a young buck and I continue to smoke and drink to this day!

163193[/snapback]

Quick snapshot of WBone age 9

JoeCamelWins.jpg

What? Joe Camel has no affect on me.

163205[/snapback]

That picture is hilarous deepseas.

Archived