For the People Act (HR 1)

AUwent

Not mentioned in the CNN article is that HR 1 would force states to extend vote counting until 10 days after Election Day. 

I'd make Election Day a national holiday so everyone got the day off to vote before I'd allow the same type of mail-in ballot counting chaos seen in several swing states in the 2020 election where mail-in ballots were counted days after the election and we didn't have the final results of those states for days. 

The state of Florida should be the model of how to process mail-in ballots. They allowed mail-in ballots to be processed weeks before the election. Which meant a majority of their mail-in ballots had already been counted by election day. Also, they had a deadline that domestic mail ballots be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day to be counted. Any domestic mail ballots arriving after that deadline would not be counted. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/elections/fl-ne-election-2020-florida-fast-vote-reporting-20201105-4vecbsq2tffkfpzd25avu3zz4i-story.html

HR1 is a good baby step toward what is needed. It is not a BE-ALL END-ALL piece of legislation.

HR1 has some positive things included.  The problem with the voting rights act as it was originally crafted was that the problem it was passed to address was not the same in 2020 as it was in the 60s.  In addition, it only applied to a select number of states.  The Supreme Court simply said apply it to all or nobody, which was the right decision, in my opinion.  What we don't need now is a process of having to get approval for every little thing that local election officials do.  We simply need a uniform set of guidelines. 

HR1 can provide those guidelines and solve the re-districting issue that has turned into a nightmare for the country.

On 3/2/2021 at 11:12 PM, Auburnfan91 said:

Not mentioned in the CNN article is that HR 1 would force states to extend vote counting until 10 days after Election Day. 

I'd make Election Day a national holiday so everyone got the day off to vote before I'd allow the same type of mail-in ballot counting chaos seen in several swing states in the 2020 election where mail-in ballots were counted days after the election and we didn't have the final results of those states for days. 

The state of Florida should be the model of how to process mail-in ballots. They allowed mail-in ballots to be processed weeks before the election. Which meant a majority of their mail-in ballots had already been counted by election day. Also, they had a deadline that domestic mail ballots be received by 7 p.m. on Election Day to be counted. Any domestic mail ballots arriving after that deadline would not be counted. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/politics/elections/fl-ne-election-2020-florida-fast-vote-reporting-20201105-4vecbsq2tffkfpzd25avu3zz4i-story.html

Indeed, Florida does a wonderful job with early voting. Any election with statewide or federal candidates has early voting starting 10 to 14 days before election day...even weekends. Since moving back to Alabama my representatives have been unenthusiastic  about early voting. Understand Alabama is less populous, but open a limited number of voting sites Saturday, Sunday, and Monday before Election Day.....make it easier and less time consuming to vote.

Archived