AuburnWire: Three Losers from AU's Second Scrimmage

CleCoTiger

https://auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/auburn-football-losers-in-fall-scrimmage/

Three losers from Auburn's second scrimmage

Auburn’s second scrimmage last night mirrored much of what happened in the first scrimmage just a week ago.

Auburn’s offense was stifled by the veteran defense. Auburn could not get much going and the defense wreaked havoc.

Let’s take a look at some of the losers from Friday night’s scrimmage.

1. The offensive line

Auburn’s o-line, much like the first scrimmage, had issues holding blocks in passing situations. Auburn hardly ran the ball at all, which could have added to the amount of pressure that was seen on Friday night. It’s clear what the coaching staff is trying to work on: the passing game. It’s not looked good so far.

2. The quarterback room

Bo Nix threw a 100-yard pick six to new cornerback Ro Torrence. Grant Loy threw an interception to Joko Willis. TJ Finley was inefficient. These quarterbacks might be running for their life, but they are making poor decisions in practice based on reports.

3. Shedrick Jackson

Drops have been an issue with Jackson in the few moments he’s been targeted over his career. He had another drop during the scrimmage, which could have been a touchdown. With other receivers continuing to grow, despite the offensive line woes and the poor quarterback play, Jackson will have to step his game up. Auburn needs his experience on the field.

40 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Keep reading that Shed Jackson is having a great camp, despite this article. 

Yeah, I'm with you there. The article is just about the scrimmage. Drops happen. They just need to happen...less.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Yeah, I'm with you there. The article is just about the scrimmage. Drops happen. They just need to happen...less.

And not on 3rd downs.... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Take Akron and the 37 points is what I'm reading in these scrimmages.  Going to take a couple games to get things worked out if they can be.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Take Akron and the 37 points is what I'm reading in these scrimmages.  

I agree the first few games are going to be getting things figured out, but man...I hope even then our Tigers can cover against Akron. The Zips are bad. Really bad. I don't really care if our Tigers cover the spread, but if they don't come at least close to covering against the Zips, if we struggle at all...I will be worried.

Doesn’t sound good but I’ll take these reports with grains of salt. As long as we can run the ball, I’ll be happy. The passing attack will come later (hopefully). 

If we can’t run the ball then we’re in trouble. 

• Like 1

I think DD is the biggest looser. No, he wouldn't have passed Bo but I think it could have certainly clarified some things in the coaches minds. I think it would've been likely that he would've got some runs with the 2s for sure. I'm sure they would've liked to have seen what he could do against better competition.  If something happens with Bo, I'm just not sure that TJ is for sure next in line. It will depend on how our OL is progressing. I like the fact that TJ will stand in the pocket but that's part of the problem if our OL can't hold up. DD may be closer to playing than some may think.

• Thanks 1

No doubt the O-Line is a work in progress and this scrimmage worked a lot on their biggest weakness pass blocking. The fact that they didn't attempt to run much affects pass blocking. Third and 2 or 3 and D doesn't know of running or passing third and long they know passing and come hard. When we emphasize the run more if it is working then passing becomes easier. Now if they stuff the run also then we have real issues. I am not defending the O-Line they have to improve a lot just to be average but I am hoping they have time to improve from week to week and I am very glad we start with two easy games.