The more things change, the more they stay the same...Chris Cuomo and Sexual Harassment Claims

DKW 86

The more things change, the more they stay the same...

https://www.al.com/news/2021/09/chris-cuomo-allegedly-sexually-harassed-former-abc-news-executive-in-2005.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=aldotcom_sf&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR3PvOLR-pztccabV9j-_Bfe_WnVv486lWIVbKiJYktjWbiYqRxXazF3FBk

A veteran TV news executive says CNN anchor Chris Cuomo sexually harassed her by squeezing her buttocks at a party in 2005.

Shelley Ross on Muck Rack

Shelley Ross said in an opinion piece in The New York Times on Friday that Chris Cuomo, who had formerly reported to her at ABC News, greeted her with a bear hug “while lowering one hand to firmly grab and squeeze the cheek of my buttock” while she was at a party with her husband.

Ross said Cuomo told her, “I can do this now that you’re no longer my boss,” and she responded, “No you can’t,” pushing him off while stepping back to reveal her husband, who had witnessed the episode.

Cuomo sent an email shortly afterward saying he was “ashamed.” He mentioned a celebrity who had been arrested for similar behavior recently, and apologized to Ross and her husband.

Asked for comment, Cuomo told the Times, “As Shelley acknowledges, our interaction was not sexual in nature. It happened 16 years ago in a public setting when she was a top executive at ABC. I apologized to her then, and I meant it.”

Cuomo, the host of “Cuomo Prime Time,” has faced criticism for his role in advising his brother, Andrew Cuomo, who resigned as New York governor last month over allegations of sexual harassment from multiple women.

Andrew Cuomo, a Democrat, has denied touching any of the women inappropriately.

Chris Cuomo told CNN viewers last month that he had advised his brother to be contrite. “I was there to listen and offer my take,” Cuomo said. “And my advice to my brother was simple and consistent — own what you did, tell people what you’ll try to do to be better, be contrite. Finally, accept that it doesn’t matter what you intended, what matters is how your actions and your words are perceived.”

Ross said in her essay in the Times that Chris Cuomo should have been ashamed for his conduct with her, “But my question today is the same as it was then: Was he ashamed of what he did, or was he embarrassed because my husband saw it?”

She said she sees the apology as “an attempt to provide himself with legal and moral coverage to evade accountability.”

An email seeking comment was sent to a CNN spokesperson.

Ross has written previously of being sexually harassed by Roger Ailes, who was ousted from Fox News Channel over harassment complaints and died in 

Recounting the 1981 encounter in her New York Times piece, Ross said Ailes apologized to her for insisting on a “sexual alliance” as a condition of a pending job offer at NBC’s “Tomorrow” show.

Ross said she accepted Ailes’ apology, naively thinking she could “help reform the workplace one predator at a time.”

Ross said she is not asking for Chris Cuomo to be fired from CNN, but would like to see him “journalistically repent: agree on air to study the impact of sexism, harassment and gender bias in the workplace, including his own, and then report on it.”

She suggested a series of town hall meetings titled “The Continuing Education of Chris Cuomo.”

Edited by DKW 86
  • Thanks 1

• DKW 86 changed the title to The more things change, the more they stay the same...Chris Cuomo and Sexual Harassment Claims

Lord have mercy.  I am waiting for someone to come out of the woodwork and claim that I flirted with them at some point over the past 30 years. Have I ever touched someone inappropriately?  I can only say that I have never been slapped for doing so.  Have I been touched inappropriately?  Many times. Thankfully, I can report that I am not scarred from those actions.  My will power was a greater concern at the time. I have been followed home from bars and I have been called at 3a.m.  I have received random texts from people assuming that one sight of their whatever would be enough to get me to run over.  Sometimes they were right, other times not so much. 

My point is that we all, whether we admit it or not, experience a lot of different situations during this thing we call life. Somebody getting touchy feely at a party doesn't exactly make my list of things to be concerned about with respect to someone's character.  That said, I do think the other Cuomo's behavior was unacceptable.  Everyone knows that you can't use your position, or at least you shouldn't, to pressure someone into some sort of sexual encounter.  Even if it is totally consensual, best practice is to be up front and for that person to be removed from your supervision at the office.

• Like 3
  • Facepalm 1

5 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Flirting is not "grabbing them by the *****" or "grabbing them by the ass."

You hung out with the wrong girls...

J/k it was a joke... 

ICHY's Facepalm ==>

• Haha 3

The part that was left out at a later time when interviewing Michael Cohen 2020 he basically said it never occurred, so it is even more embarrassing as he publicly stated it never occurred and then in the NY Times piece they show the email where he apologized for it. So he not only did as it was seen and he sent a letter about it then he denied it in Public years later. This and the way he handled his brother including getting special attention for the Covid vaccination then when he was supposed to be quarantined he is seen in Public and you start to wonder what more he can get away with before he is at the minimum suspended.

On 9/25/2021 at 11:57 PM, AuburnNTexas said:

The part that was left out at a later time when interviewing Michael Cohen 2020 he basically said it never occurred, so it is even more embarrassing as he publicly stated it never occurred and then in the NY Times piece they show the email where he apologized for it. So he not only did as it was seen and he sent a letter about it then he denied it in Public years later. This and the way he handled his brother including getting special attention for the Covid vaccination then when he was supposed to be quarantined he is seen in Public and you start to wonder what more he can get away with before he is at the minimum suspended.

When Hannity is required to admit to being nothing more than an entertainer, I'll give a crap about Cuomo's flirtations from years past.  Hannity fails a fact check every time his show airs.

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, AU9377 said:

When Hannity is required to admit to being nothing more than an entertainer, I'll give a crap about Cuomo's flirtations from years past.  Hannity fails a fact check every time his show airs.

Hannity and Fox are not the only sources for what Cuomo said on the Michael Cohen interview it was there for all to see. He basically said people are accusing me of sexual misconduct from my time at ABC and I never did anything. That is why when the NY Time report came out that included his email and apologizing for grabbing his ex-bosses backend in front of her husband it also proved he lied during that interview. This is one of the few time I agree with a Face Palm from icanthearyou

On 9/25/2021 at 7:29 AM, DKW 86 said:

Flirting is not "grabbing them by the *****" or "grabbing them by the ass."

On 9/25/2021 at 1:03 PM, bigbird said:

You hung out with the wrong girls...

At the club we have an ask first rule before "grabbing a lady by the ass." On the flip side the ladies seem to have free reign to grab whatever they want!LOL

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

At the club we have an ask first rule before "grabbing a lady by the ass." On the flip side the ladies seem to have free reign to grab whatever they want!LOL

Ah....to be young again....:big:

10 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Who says you have to be young…….😂

Well, having your stuff handled by random women in a club or a resort would be a fast track to divorce court. I found a sane, loving woman and aim to keep her.

Edited by DKW 86

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/24/1040492251/chris-cuomo-sexual-harassment-abc-news-executive-shelley-ross

NEW YORK — A veteran TV news executive says CNN anchor Chris Cuomo sexually harassed her by squeezing her buttocks at a party in 2005.

Shelley Ross said in an opinion piece in The New York Times on Friday that Chris Cuomo, who had formerly reported to her at ABC News, greeted her with a bear hug "while lowering one hand to firmly grab and squeeze the cheek of my buttock" while she was at a party with her husband.

Ross said Cuomo told her, "I can do this now that you're no longer my boss," and she responded, "No you can't," pushing him off while stepping back to reveal her husband, who had witnessed the episode.

Cuomo sent an email shortly afterward saying he was "ashamed." He mentioned a celebrity who had been arrested for similar behavior recently, and apologized to Ross and her husband.

Asked for comment, Cuomo told the Times, "As Shelley acknowledges, our interaction was not sexual in nature. It happened 16 years ago in a public setting when she was a top executive at ABC. I apologized to her then, and I meant it."

So Cuomo was grabbing her ass, in front of her husband, maybe 2-3 feet away, for what? A hygiene inspection? Maybe for a sexually suggestive clothes fitting trial? Maybe he thought she needed help finding the correct type and size of panties, garter belt, or G-Sting? Of course the dullards here will slavishly come to his and his brother's defense because they are more concerned with "how the party looks" than whether a million women were harassed and/or suffered career losses. They are probably very concerned when women are harassed....by political foes, BUT NEVER BY POLITICAL FRIENDS. Andrew Cuomo is gone, more likely due the 12-15 thousand dead NYers that died from his incompetence. He still received his $4M book deal and his Emmy, although his Emmy is now withdrawn. 

Edited by DKW 86