3 Questions.....

Beaker

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

I didn’t miss any of that. But you adapt. South Carolina and MSU don’t have more talent than us, and they both beat us because we were outcoached in those games. Plenty of reason for us to struggle against top notch competition, but some of the losses were inexcusable even with talent deficiency. As far as play calling, there were just as many headscratchers in the bowl game. We tried a jet sweep with a TE for instance. 

There was one headscratcher, it was the TE sweep and several of us think it was a blown play where someone missed their blocking assignment on the guy running free.  If that guy gets picked up by a blocker that play goes for at least 5 yards bc the other DB was getting blocked.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScotsAU said:

I didn’t miss any of that. But you adapt. South Carolina and MSU don’t have more talent than us, and they both beat us because we were outcoached in those games. Plenty of reason for us to struggle against top notch competition, but some of the losses were inexcusable even with talent deficiency. As far as play calling, there were just as many headscratchers in the bowl game. We tried a jet sweep with a TE for instance. 

Oh I am scratching my head and wondering also, "what are you thinking?"   

• Why could we not get pressure on the MSU QB?   Well, going back, we did some stunt blitzes I did not see from the stands.  Also that QB is crazy efficient when pressured according to adv stats (thus a dangerous passer in those circumstances and UK tried that approach and failed miserably).
    • But ......if we just move the chains a little in the second half we win.  Back to some failures on the OC/offense (chicken or the egg?).
  • I have heard a lot of criticism on Tank for not running out of bounds...
    • stop it - he is programmed to fight, kick and scratch for yards going forward.  Had the LB literally not dragged him out of bounds, he would have been tackled in bounds as he stretched the ball to try do or wrestled for those last 1-2 yds.  (stop it for those in general, not you)
  • The Penn St, fade route - yeah, dumb call.
    • I wonder why the HC (with a headset on) doesn't override the call and say, it's short - run Tank.  (that was one of my questions)
  • Why is Tank on the sideline when it seems like a critical moment in the game?  
    • ??  HC  has to voice a veto or trust his OC.    I think Harsin trusted Bobo way too much.
      • Mason also until about 75% way through the season.   I think Mason made late season adjustments 
  • The TE thing on the sweep - I think there may have been a substitution error or broken play as cited.  I don't think anyone believes the TE has open field moves to get 3-4 yds.  Something was amiss. 
  • and on and on and on - I see them too. 

I hear you, there are some specific moments we wonder about from the luxury of our living rooms without thousands of people screaming in your ear...but I know this, if we don't fix the OL, not even Patrick Mahomes can generate any offense.   

Good stuff - and you're mostly right:

S Carolina was a coaches' loss.

MSU - they do have a better OL and QB, than us, who were more consistent. and they also outcoached us.  Remember Bo literally played on a broken ankle most of the 4th QTR.   Harsin knew Finley is hit/miss.  Harsin went with Bo...unsure if that was the right call or not.  Who does?

Edited by Beaker

3 hours ago, Didba said:

"why did we see the same crappy offense in the bowl game?"  I was referring to this question, which has been answered ad nauseam.  Oline and poor QB play.  Play-calling was much better then under Bobo, which has also been pointed out every where by people that know.  Poor oline and QB play resulted in plays not being executed.

It hasn't been "answered" lmao. The way you think kills me.

"Hey boys! Shut down the forum for the day! This omnipotent guy named Didba showed up and told us the definitive truth and immaculate opinion about everything."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Oh I am scratching my head and wondering also, "what are you thinking?"   

• Why could we not get pressure on the MSU QB?   Well, going back, we did some stunt blitzes I did not see from the stands.  Also that QB is crazy efficient when pressured according to adv stats (thus a dangerous passer in those circumstances).
    • But ......if we just move the chains a little in the second half we win.  Back to some failures on the OC/offense.
  • I have heard a lot of criticism on Tank for not running out of bounds...
    • stop it - he is programmed to fight, kick and scratch for yards going forward.  Had the LB literally not dragged him out of bounds, he would have been tackled in bounds as he stretched the ball to try do or wrestled for those last 1-2 yds.  (stop it for those in general, not you)
  • The Penn St, fade route - yeah, dumb call.
    • I wonder whey the HC (with a headset on) doesn't override the call and say, it's short - run Tank.  (that was one of my questions)
  • Why is Tank on the sideline when it seems like a critical moment in the game?  
    • ??  HC  has to voice a veto or trust his OC.    I think Harsin trusted Bobo way too much.
  • The TE thing on the sweep - I think there may have been a substitution error or broken play as cited.  I don't think anyone believes the TE has open field moves to get 3-4 yds.  Something was amiss. 
  • and on and on and on - I see them too. 

I hear you, there are some specific moments we wonder about from the luxury of our living rooms without thousands of people screaming in your ear...but I know this, if we don't fix the OL, not even Patrick Mahomes can generate any offense.   

Good stuff - 

You’ve lost me with this post. But whatever. I disagree. The TE sweep wasn’t the only questionable coaching decision in that game. It was just the most egregious. 

• Like 1