The Democrats' Voting Rights Agenda Isn't for Us. It's for Them

AUFAN78

Like the one plaguing shelves in grocery stores across America, there is a supply shortage of racism in the country—but when it comes to the leaders of the Democratic Party, the demand remains high. The Democrats seem to think that the rallying cry of racism is essential to galvanizing their most loyal demographic, Black Americans. And that's how they have been talking about their new voting rights bill, the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.

Black Americans continue to do the work for the Democrats, yet all we get are symbolic victories and shoutouts during speeches. Black Americans willfully give the Democratic party their votes, do their best to ensure that Democratic politicians are elected, and all they have to show for it is a Juneteenth holiday.

It's time for Black America to wake up and realize that we are being exploited.

https://www.newsweek.com/democrats-voting-rights-agenda-isnt-us-its-them-opinion-1671250

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Like the one plaguing shelves in grocery stores across America, there is a supply shortage of racism in the country—but when it comes to the leaders of the Democratic Party, the demand remains high. The Democrats seem to think that the rallying cry of racism is essential to galvanizing their most loyal demographic, Black Americans. And that's how they have been talking about their new voting rights bill, the John R. Lewis Voting Rights Advancement Act.

Black Americans continue to do the work for the Democrats, yet all we get are symbolic victories and shoutouts during speeches. Black Americans willfully give the Democratic party their votes, do their best to ensure that Democratic politicians are elected, and all they have to show for it is a Juneteenth holiday.

It's time for Black America to wake up and realize that we are being exploited.

https://www.newsweek.com/democrats-voting-rights-agenda-isnt-us-its-them-opinion-1671250

I don't like the Democrats making everything about race any more than I like the Republicans making everything a culture war in the name of promoting ultra partisanship.  It smells on both ends.

That said, If Democrats are exploiting blacks in America, are Republicans not exploiting poor white under educated people?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

That said, If Democrats are exploiting blacks in America, are Republicans not exploiting poor white under educated people?

Have not thought about it. Please elaborate.

39 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

39 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

You know, like when Trump said he was going to nominate the first Redneck to the Supreme Court!

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Due to the ongoing cultural divide and pushing everything into a cultural war between the us and them, poor rural whites often vote against their self interests when they vote strictly due to party affiliation.  Is the current health care system meeting their needs? Not at all, yet they will vote for Republican candidates that are in the pocket of insurance and pharmaceutical companies.  How does a man with golden toilets get portrayed as someone who they can relate to?  They have nothing in common, yet by making cultural warfare the thing they care about most, they will overlook a laundry list of character traits that would otherwise be disqualifying.

Black Americans do the same in the Democratic party.  When race is the over arching issue, all other policies get drowned out by the issue at the top of their list of concerns.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Due to the ongoing cultural divide and pushing everything into a cultural war between the us and them, poor rural whites often vote against their self interests when they vote strictly due to party affiliation.  Is the current health care system meeting their needs? Not at all, yet they will vote for Republican candidates that are in the pocket of insurance and pharmaceutical companies.  How does a man with golden toilets get portrayed as someone who they can relate to?  They have nothing in common, yet by making cultural warfare the thing they care about most, they will overlook a laundry list of character traits that would otherwise be disqualifying.

Black Americans do the same in the Democratic party.  When race is the over arching issue, all other policies get drowned out by the issue at the top of their list of concerns.

I realize that I made the redneck joke attempt, but you make a very good point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Due to the ongoing cultural divide and pushing everything into a cultural war between the us and them, poor rural whites often vote against their self interests when they vote strictly due to party affiliation.  Is the current health care system meeting their needs? Not at all, yet they will vote for Republican candidates that are in the pocket of insurance and pharmaceutical companies. 

We can agree ACA isn't the best system. But I'm failing to see how these pour rural whites voting Republican affected its passage. Enlighten me please.

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

How does a man with golden toilets get portrayed as someone who they can relate to?  They have nothing in common, yet by making cultural warfare the thing they care about most, they will overlook a laundry list of character traits that would otherwise be disqualifying.

You nor I may approve of Trumps character, but when one provides a booming economy, jobs, better wages, border security, solid foreign policy, support for military and law enforcement, etc. people will gravitate towards that person. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

We can agree ACA isn't the best system. But I'm failing to see how these pour rural whites voting Republican affected its passage. Enlighten me please.

You nor I may approve of Trumps character, but when one provides a booming economy, jobs, better wages, border security, solid foreign policy, support for military and law enforcement, etc. people will gravitate towards that person. 

I didn't say it did.  The healthcare system was broken long before the ACA.  My point was that real issues get overlooked in favor of voting along party lines due to culture war issues by both sides of the aisle.  I could talk for days about how badly health care costs hurt American businesses.  If the cost burden of providing health care coverage for employees was removed from the back of American business, we would see jobs flood back into the U.S.  It has reached the breaking point, but we will fail to act until so many are hurt that the system itself is on the brink.

You are intelligent.  You know why the economy sped up during Trump's first 3 years in office. He took an economy that was already outpacing growth in Europe and other similar economies and he pulled the choke.  He slashed the corporate tax rates and temporarily the individual rate.  That sent the debt to new record highs, but for the here and now it resulted in a perceived boom.  It was like throwing a cup of gasoline on a camp fire.  We have serious issues underlying the economy that are constantly being pushed back and no will to do anything to solve the problems.  We live for today and pretend that it all makes sense. The 2008 recession was a warning.  Our answer was to spend more money and patch the bubble.  Now we have home prices once again soaring.  I'm all for making money.  People just need to realize that the property they buy isn't worth what the comps say it is and that they may find themselves upside down in a few years.

I certainly wouldn't describe our foreign policy as solid over the last 4 years.  The military doesn't know what to make of Biden at this point.  The upper brass was disgusted with the Trump administration.  How many Generals and Secretaries quit rather than be subjected to that kind of leadership.  I can think of several off the top of my head.  https://time.com/5492636/donald-trump-generals/

We need better candidates. Unfortunately, until we realize that we won't get one until we stop destroying the best due to nonsense, those type leaders will choose to protect their reputations and family, rather than go thru the meat grinder.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2