COVID Exposed How Public Schools Are Failing Black Kids. Will Progressives Care?

AUFAN78

Suddenly, people are discussing things like the fact that public schools have been under-educating the children of marginalized communities like mine for decades as we pour millions and millions of dollars into ineffective schools. And people whose children are trapped in these schools are starting to speak up against a progressive elite that cares more about getting George Washington's name off a building than getting their child into it.

The hypocrisy has become just too apparent. In the same breath, progressives will bring up how minorities in underserved areas have been disenfranchised in America by "systemic racism" while throwing their support behind one of the biggest perpetuators of system-wide disparities. They call themselves "progressive" but then advocate for the status-quo in education, regardless of how badly this system has been failing Americans in poorer neighborhoods.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/covid-exposed-how-public-schools-are-failing-black-kids-will-progressives-care-opinion/ar-AATWXc4

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

So what is your solution?  Just say to hell with public school systems in poor neighborhoods?  Seriously, do you expect children with parents that are indifferent to their education to all of a sudden perform like scholars when you spend more money on the school?

13 hours ago, AU9377 said:

So what is your solution? 

As mentioned in the article, school choice works.

Based on M-STEP standardized tests, Detroit charter students outperformed district students in 15 out of 18 subjects, proving nearly twice as proficient in English language arts. 

I'm personally aware of numerous examples locally where school choice was highly successful with students reaping tremendous achievement.

13 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Just say to hell with public school systems in poor neighborhoods?

Accountability. Why throw money at something that doesn't work? Why not fix it? Doesn't that start with accountability?

The accountability piece is one most find attractive in Charter Schools.

14 hours ago, AU9377 said:

Seriously, do you expect children with parents that are indifferent to their education to all of a sudden perform like scholars when you spend more money on the school?

As stated in the article money isn't the problem, but rather the results.

Last year, 20 percent of elementary and middle school students and 35 percent of high school students in the Detroit Public Schools Community District failed at least one class in the first quarter. Detroit public schools have the worst test scores and graduation rates in the nation. Only 7 percent of Detroit eighth grade students performed at or above the NAEP Proficient reading level.

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

As mentioned in the article, school choice works.

Based on M-STEP standardized tests, Detroit charter students outperformed district students in 15 out of 18 subjects, proving nearly twice as proficient in English language arts. 

I'm personally aware of numerous examples locally where school choice was highly successful with students reaping tremendous achievement.

Accountability. Why throw money at something that doesn't work? Why not fix it? Doesn't that start with accountability?

The accountability piece is one most find attractive in Charter Schools.

As stated in the article money isn't the problem, but rather the results.

Last year, 20 percent of elementary and middle school students and 35 percent of high school students in the Detroit Public Schools Community District failed at least one class in the first quarter. Detroit public schools have the worst test scores and graduation rates in the nation. Only 7 percent of Detroit eighth grade students performed at or above the NAEP Proficient reading level.

You know why charter schools work?  Because the parents or guardian of the kids being sent to the charter school are involved in their education.  We have a difficult, but important, responsibility to provide a way for the kids that few people care about to have a chance to better themselves.  If even only a handful out of the student body do that, we are a better society.  There is no one fix all, but we have to try.

Again, accountability only works when you have parental involvement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

You know why charter schools work?  Because the parents or guardian of the kids being sent to the charter school are involved in their education.  We have a difficult, but important, responsibility to provide a way for the kids that few people care about to have a chance to better themselves.  If even only a handful out of the student body do that, we are a better society.  There is no one fix all, but we have to try.

I disagree. Your example fails when considering the child struggling in a failing school system, but succeeding when moved to a successful system. The parents didn't change the outcome. The system did.

Charter schools work due to the system being held accountable by the parents and community.

I'm certainly not opposed to parental involvement and encourage it, but it isn't always available for various reasons and children can be successful in these cases. Particularly in a successful system.

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I disagree. Your example fails when considering the child struggling in a failing school system, but succeeding when moved to a successful system. The parents didn't change the outcome. The system did.

Charter schools work due to the system being held accountable by the parents and community.

I'm certainly not opposed to parental involvement and encourage it, but it isn't always available for various reasons and children can be successful in these cases. Particularly in a successful system.

I think both of you are right. I think charter schools do well because the students give up much of the rights to challenge teachers and administrators. They are there to get an education and willing to play by the rules or must go back to the hell holes they came from. Parent involvement is the what makes any of this possible. Students and obviously parents and culture from these communities are protected from being disciplined in public schools. Kids that don’t get discipline and structure in a home where they are held accountable for their behavior, are impossible to teach and control. No amount of money will compensate for the lack of parental involvement. 
      The kids that do want to be educated in the failing schools get swallowed up in the system. Teachers have no morale, get no backing from parents or administrators. The only way,or easiest way to remedy it is to separate those who are willing to learn from those who aren’t.

Edited by alexava
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

We have been told for at least 40 years that Education in America's public schools was a top priority and was about to get better.

For 40 years they have lied/failed to do anything resembling bettering our schools.

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

9 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

The child would have never been moved to another school had the parent not had a heightened concern for their child's education.  That was the only point I was making.  While some charter schools do work, I caution relying on them in all areas.  Funding public schools is hard enough in rural poor areas.  The last thing they can afford is to be forced to pay for another school and one that results in the existing schools becoming even worse than they are.

I think we can both agree that the answers aren't easy and they likely change  from one area to another.  I honestly believe that there is no better education than the one provided in a good moderately sized public school system.  Unfortunately, that doesn't exist in too many areas and I would never judge anyone that was making a decision based on placing their child in an environment wherein they are most likely to form healthy friendships and a peer group that will encourage their success, while being taught by good teachers.  A new building won't make kids want to learn, but a good group of friends can make all the difference in the world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alexava said:

I think both of you are right. I think charter schools do well because the students give up much of the rights to challenge teachers and administrators. They are there to get an education and willing to play by the rules or must go back to the hell holes they came from. Parent involvement is the what makes any of this possible. Students and obviously parents and culture from these communities are protected from being disciplined in public schools. Kids that don’t get discipline and structure in a home where they are held accountable for their behavior, are impossible to teach and control. No amount of money will compensate for the lack of parental involvement. 
      The kids that do want to be educated in the failing schools get swallowed up in the system. Teachers have no morale, get no backing from parents or administrators. The only way,or easiest way to remedy it is to separate those who are willing to learn from those who aren’t.

conan-o-brien-salute.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/18/2022 at 1:07 AM, AU9377 said:

So what is your solution?  Just say to hell with public school systems in poor neighborhoods?  Seriously, do you expect children with parents that are indifferent to their education to all of a sudden perform like scholars when you spend more money on the school?

How about following the lead of the Nations that are kicking our asses in Education? We spend more than anyone and rank 14th to 25th in outcomes. We refuse to put disciplne back in PUBLIC Schools. The kids in public schools suffer. They get poorer educations. They have for decades and all we do is pay the bill and FAIL SOME MORE.

How do you thumbsdown our public schools getting better?

15 Sweet Facts About Kool-Aid | Mental Floss

Edited by DKW 86
  • Like 2
  • Dislike 1

But I will admit when a thing is broken. And Alabama’s public schools--which have consistently ranked among the bottom 2-3 states for decades--meet the definition. Of course, there are exceptions and bright spots. Schools that don’t just meet but exceed expectations. But as a collective, the system doesn’t perform as it should. Too many children are relegated to a second-rate education based upon their zip code.

https://www.al.com/opinion/2022/02/dana-hall-mccain-alabama-schools-need-radical-surgery.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/18/2022 at 3:39 PM, AU9377 said:

You know why charter schools work?  Because the parents or guardian of the kids being sent to the charter school are involved in their education. 

I agree with the above 100%

So how does government solve the problem of lack of parental involvement?