Al.con Pet Peeve

AUght2win

8 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Plumlee is a crazy athlete.  He'll make UCF look like Auburn with Nick Marshall (on offense), and certain Auburn fans will continually bring Gus' record up at UCF.

Plumlee is that fast...just not the best arm/decision maker.  Unfortunately for him, he won't learn anything new under Gus...except maybe some bad habits.  If UCF has a top 50 defense, they will flirt with a big bowl.  Otherwise, it'll be a shootout every game for them.

And if Plumlee gets hurt, Gus will have no back-up ready( or even a back-up plan). What a shyster!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

46 minutes ago, jluvah said:

And if Plumlee gets hurt, Gus will have no back-up ready( or even a back-up plan). What a shyster!

Every time I think I'm done with UCF and Gus, you haters make me get back on the subject.

Last season Gus lost his NFL prospect QB in the third game of the season. UCF still finished 9-4, which included a bowl win over SEC member Florida. He had a backup plan then and he'll have one this year too. There are legitimate things to criticize about Gus so why do so many find it necessary to make up falsehoods out of thin air?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Every time I think I'm done with UCF and Gus, you haters make me get back on the subject.

Last season Gus lost his NFL prospect QB in the third game of the season. UCF still finished 9-4, which included a bowl win over SEC member Florida. He had a backup plan then and he'll have one this year too. There are legitimate things to criticize about Gus so why do so many find it necessary to make up falsehoods out of thin air?

Is Grant Loy still playing? I thought he was out of time.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Is Grant Loy still playing? I thought he was out of time.

At what point did Gus get caught without a backup QB when one was needed? Season and game #, please.

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

At what point did Gus get caught without a backup QB when one was needed? Season and game #, please.

It started as soon as Nick left. 

2014. JJ was a mess. Sean goes in and he's not ready. 

2015. Sean is injured for the latter part of the season. His back up is JJ. See above. Auburn toggles between the two; horrible QB play ensues. 

2016. Gus is caught without even a starting QB, leading to the craziest offensive game plan ever in the opener against Clemson. Lowlights from this season include trailing Vandy at the half. This was because John Franklin was the backup QB, when one was very much needed. JF didn't know how to throw a football, so Sean was thrown in and won the game in the second half. 

A week later, Sean White, the same injured QB, went 6 for 20 for 27 yards and pick six in a 13-7 loss vs UGA. Defense obviously deserved to win that game. Maybe the worst performance I've ever seen by a QB. All because Sean was clearly injured and the coaches either couldn't figure that out and/or knew they had no one else to put in the game. The rest of the season didn't go well either, without a single healthy QB that could provide adequate play. 

Then we had Stidham for 2017 and 2018. I don't recall him being injured, but I could be wrong. His backup was Malik Willis, who was barely allowed to throw a pass at Auburn, but was drafted in the third round by the NFL. 

Finally, Bo started until the end of Gus' tenure. There were plenty of games where Bo should have been pulled. Where he was playing horribly and the D was lights out. Average QB play would have won the game. But Gus didn't pull him. Some think it's because Gus made a promise to Bo or his family or to donors/admin, whatever. I think it's because Gus was burned by all the seasons above and knew he didn't have one, let alone two, QBs ready to play. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 hours ago, cbo said:

2015. Sean is injured for the latter part of the season. His back up is JJ. See above. Auburn toggles between the two; horrible QB play ensues. 

2016. Gus is caught without even a starting QB, leading to the craziest offensive game plan ever in the opener against Clemson. Lowlights from this season include trailing Vandy at the half. This was because John Franklin was the backup QB, when one was very much needed. JF didn't know how to throw a football, so Sean was thrown in and won the game in the second half. 

A week later, Sean White, the same injured QB, went 6 for 20 for 27 yards and pick six in a 13-7 loss vs UGA. Defense obviously deserved to win that game. Maybe the worst performance I've ever seen by a QB. All because Sean was clearly injured and the coaches either couldn't figure that out and/or knew they had no one else to put in the game. The rest of the season didn't go well either, without a single healthy QB that could provide adequate play. 

Then we had Stidham for 2017 and 2018. I don't recall him being injured, but I could be wrong. His backup was Malik Willis, who was barely allowed to throw a pass at Auburn, but was drafted in the third round by the NFL. 

Finally, Bo started until the end of Gus' tenure. There were plenty of games where Bo should have been pulled. Where he was playing horribly and the D was lights out. Average QB play would have won the game. But Gus didn't pull him. Some think it's because Gus made a promise to Bo or his family or to donors/admin, whatever. I think it's because Gus was burned by all the seasons above and knew he didn't have one, let alone two, QBs ready to play. 

Mic Drop Captain Obvious GIF - MicDrop CaptainObvious - Discover & Share GIFs

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, cbo said:

And that uga loss with a clearly injured QB was when I got off the Gus bus. I would've fired him on the spot after that game. While I was happy with beating uga and uat in 2017, I knew that it would cost us money when it happened. I admit I had no idea how much.

• Like 2

On 8/22/2022 at 1:01 PM, JerryAU said:

Plumlee isn't scared and he has the speed and elusiveness Gus will be salivating over, he should do well in Gus' system.  JMHO

they have two really excellent RB options that will complement well with JRP. If we put the Gus aspect side for a second, that should be one of the more interesting dynamics to watch in all of CFB (if it works out)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbo said:

Fair point except Nick Marshall was the qb in 2014 (And JJ actually looked pretty decent in 14). The JJ saga didn't begin until 2015

Definitely right on the rest of those points - depth was lacking after Nick Marshall left

2 hours ago, ad9182 said:

Fair point except Nick Marshall was the qb in 2014 (And JJ actually looked pretty decent in 14). The JJ saga didn't begin until 2015

Definitely right on the rest of those points - depth was lacking after Nick Marshall left

You're right, thanks. Not sure how I messed that up. 

14 hours ago, cbo said:

While your post indicates that there were times when AU could have had better QB's, there is no situation when Gus didn't have a backup.

"There were plenty of games where Bo should have been pulled."  That's your opinion but it has nothing to do with a backup being unavailable.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 2

On 8/24/2022 at 12:35 AM, cbo said:

if we are all honest everyone was hyped about JJ. he fooled everyone. for the record i still pull for him to succeed.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2022 at 1:22 PM, Mikey said:

While your post indicates that there were times when AU could have had better QB's, there is no situation when Gus didn't have a backup.

Well of course not. If your argument is Gus always had more than one living, breathing human being listed as a QB on the roster, then I can't argue with that. 

On 8/24/2022 at 1:22 PM, Mikey said:

"There were plenty of games where Bo should have been pulled."  That's your opinion but it has nothing to do with a backup being unavailable.

I think it has a lot to do with a capable backup being unavailable, but we can agree to disagree. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cbo said:

I think it has a lot to do with a capable backup being unavailable, but we can agree to disagree. 

If you care to go back and look at the root of this backup discussion, you will note that I was responding to a post that said Gus wouldn't have a backup at UCF this coming season. That is demonstrably false. He'll have last year's starter unless the starter holds on to the #1 position, in which case he'll have Plumlee.