Favorite Book

aufan175

"Saturdays to Remember" by David Housel. The most well-written sports book I've ever read.

BTW, I don't read fiction, so I have no idea about those books.

Not sure about my favorite book, but, the Author was Stephen King. :)

I'm not really big into fiction books...but ive read a lot of Grisham. The Testament by Grisham was great.

But overall, Id have to say Dave Ramsey's Money Makeover book is excellent.

Guest Tigrinum Major
I'm not really big into fiction books...but ive read a lot of Grisham. The Testament by Grisham was great.

171413[/snapback]

Don't Grisham's books always make you think he had to rush the ending to make a deadline? I enjoy reading them, but then I am let down by the end.

"Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" is an excellent book, non-fiction that reads like fiction.

"The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer. A first hand account of a German soldier on the Eastern Front during world war 2. Truly a moving book if there ever was one. Anyone who reads this book will never forget it.

"Confederacy of Dunces" John Kennedy Toole

171417[/snapback]

ABSOLUTELY fabulous!!!! IF you know anything about the locals in New Orleans, then you will absolutely laugh your behind off at COD. EXCELLENT book.

Deepseas, you have GOT to read "Handling Sin" by a guy named Michael Malone. It is right in that same vein - I could NOT put it down. Made you sad when it was finished because you want more!!! I guarantee you will love it.

My all time favorite authors are James Lee Burke and John R. MacDonald, with Michael Connally a close third. Dave Robichaeux and Travis McGee are the prototypes for all detective/private eye fiction that came after - Raymond Chandler notwithstanding. Harry Bosch is an LAPD version of the other two blended together, and he even pays homage to Robichaeux and McGee in his books.

And here's something to make Tigermike drool - I was online looking something up and one link after another lead me to a site that said James Lee Burke did a booksigning for Crusader's Cross (his latest) at a bookstore in Missoula, Montana (his home when he isn't in New Iberia, LA). So I called the store and asked a question or two, and now I am the proud owner of a copy of Crusader's Cross signed by James Lee Burke!! The man is reclusive and is 70 years old, so I am incredibly awestruck to have this in my possession. I don't even plan on reading this copy of the book so I won't get chocolate on the pages. :big: It will sit on my shelf next to the autographed copies of books by Margaret Thatcher and Barbara Bush.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Another good non-fiction book is "All Over But The Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg, who grew up in the Calhoun County area. He talks of growing up in rural Alabama and his struggle with his relationship with his dad and his brothers and his wonderful relationship with his mother. Also recommended is "Ava's Man" by the same author. That one is about his granfather.

Hmmmm...so many to choose from: Green Eggs and Ham, Yertle The Turtle, Horton Hears a Who... B)

North Dallas Forty by Pete Gent is up there...way better than the movie. I liked To Kill A Mockingbird, too...without a doubt my favorite of the ones I had to read for school.

Another good non-fiction book is "All Over But The Shoutin'" by Rick Bragg, who grew up in the Calhoun County area.  He talks of growing up in rural Alabama and his struggle with his relationship with his dad and his brothers and his wonderful relationship with his mother.  Also recommended is "Ava's Man" by the same author.  That one is about his granfather.

171451[/snapback]

I have read both of these, and recommend them. But I can back up the whole "plagarism/reporting from places you weren't at" thing that got him fired from the NYTimes. One of his other books is a collection of his newspaper articles from the Times. One article is about the funeral of a friend of mine, who was one of the 21 people killed in the Palm Sunday tornado that hit Calhoun County in 1993. The factual errors in that piece are astounding. Derek was one of my high school classmates and did not work where Bragg said he did. Derek's dad was the local pharmacist and owned the drug store - also different than what Bragg wrote. Derek and his wife and four year old daughter were killed when the wall of Goshen United Methodist Church collapsed in on them and the caskets were opened. If Bragg had actually been at that funeral, which everyone in town attended, and at which he claimed to have spoken to a "young man" named Sammy Goss, who is actually the 60+ year old FATHER of Jim Goss, another of my classmates who was Derek's best friend, then Bragg would have known that Derek's child was not an 18 year old, as was reported in the article. Not much way to confuse an 18 year old girl and a 4 year old. Derek would have had to father her at age 6 to have had a daughter that age. Makes me wonder if he even bothered to show up at all.

So I don't have much use for Rick Bragg anymore.

Dune and Lord of the Rings are the only books I've read more than once.

If you're looking for a good Biblical thriller, pick up Genesis Code by John Case.

For Military Non-Fiction, can't go wrong with Flags of our Fathers. Of course, I'm a bit biased. :)

Ken Follet

Jonathan Kellerman

Tom Clancy (Ryan stuff)

Dale Brown

Margeret Weiss

Some Coontz

Stephen Hunter

But only the one's with pictures. :big:

For Whom the Bell Tolls and Islands in the Stream - Hemingway

The Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian

Florida Roadkill and the rest of the Florida based Serge A. Storms series by Auburn grad Tim Dorsey. Light, outrageous, hillarious reading. Tim Dorsey

I read the Grisham's and Clancy's when I was younger, decided to try the so- called 'classics', Hemingway and Dickens, and was blown away; there is a reason their writing is called literature and will last forever.

"Blood Memory", deals with a dark subject matter but it is set in New Orleans-Natchez, so there is some good southern stereotypes in it.

My favorite author is George MacDonald Fraser, author of the Flashman Papers series, among others. If you liked the way author Winstom Groom placed his protagonist Forrest Gump into actual historical events, then you will no doubt appreciate the way Fraser weaves his main character, Harry Flashman, through the historical events of the mid 1800s from the First Afghan War to the American slave trade, Charge of the Light Brigade, the Sepoy Mutiny, Custer's Last Stand, Rourke's Drift, etc, etc. The scope of the series is fantastic and Fraser is a master storyteller besides. His character Flashman is the ultimate anti-hero because he's really a cad & scoundrel at heart yet falesly accused of being a Victorian hero. It's downright hilarious. If you don't physically laugh out loud after reading some of his antics, then well ... face it, you're an official dork with no sense of humor. Highly recommend that you start the series with the first book, Flashman. Check your local library to see if any of the books are in there.

Book review

Link

TKAM by Harper Lee.

I will try and read the two Jenny talks about.

Anything by Dave Ramsey.

Best biblical Study: "How to Study the Bible" by Clarence Larkin

The Sound and The Fury - William Faulkner.....and pretty much everything else I have read by him. Faulkner is my favorite author.

To Kill A Mockingbird - Harper Lee :thumbsup:

Hell at the Breech: A Novel - Tom Franklin :thumbsup:

Poachers - Tom Franklin :thumbsup:

The Stand by Stephen King. If you haven't read it, do. Not typical King at all for those who don't care for him.

171620[/snapback]

EXCELLENT read. be sure and read the uncut version - it doesn't make THAt much difference, but I liked the way certain characters get some additional background.

I haven't yet read Blood memory, but ANYTHING by Greg Iles is great.

• 4 months later...
Guest Tigrinum Major
"Blue Like Jazz" by Donald Miller

171534[/snapback]

My kids bought me this book for Christmas. Actually, I bought it and they wrapped it for me. I am looking forward to reading it in a week or so.

Archived