Nebraska, Tennessee, Florida State, Miami, Texas, Virginia Tech, USC

TeamZero77

On 9/20/2022 at 11:36 AM, auburnatl1 said:

IMO the primary  issue is  talent and the primary reason is UGA and Kirby. AU basketball has thrived dominating Ga recruiting.  It isn’t a coincidence that as uga rose, au fell. It wasn’t just Gus - our fall was systematically done to us by recruiting starvation.  We’d break even in Ga with mark richt but Kirby has fire walled off the state.

Bama is bama. We can and have lived with that. But the recruiting dominance of uga is new. Any new coach will have to either radically change our geographic recruiting approach, or take on Kirby with blunt force. 

I know this is an older post but I just wanted to agree with what you said concerning UGA's rise under Kirby and AU's fall during the same time. I've always said that UGA can be every bit of what Alabama has been, they just need the right coach. Well, they found him and now we're seeing the shift from Alabama being top dog, to UGA being top dog.

Tuberville was 5-5 against Georgia and that was during their Mark Richt era. I think Richt was a really good coach but not great and wasn't the greatest of recruiters. He still averaged 10+ wins per season over his 15 year stint there. He won 2 SEC Title's but never could win a Natty. He finished 2nd in the AP Poll one year but they were a constant top 10 team nearly every season. I always told friends that if UGA could ever get a young coach with a ton of energy and top notch recruiting skills, then UGA could be a dynasty. 

I think we're about to see UGA go on a Saban/Alabama type run for the next 15 years and that hurts to admit.