Recruiting the players you have

DyeCampAlum

6 minutes ago, DyeCampAlum said:

It’s behind a paywall, but there’s an article in The Athletic about Sonny Dykes making home visits to players after getting the TCU job to re-recruit them. And I thought….

Don't think too hard it might hurt you. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DyeCampAlum said:

I guess I failed to start a conversation about what we need from our coaches. That was my intent. Sorry.

I believe the next HC has to start with the players he inherits in getting them to give him a chance. Harsin had to go through it. As chance would have it, we seem to be getting some OL commits, but it’s really late in the game. I also saw where we are a final 6 for a top edge rusher out of Miami. The first thing a new coach has to do is convince the existing players and The new recruits that he deems impactful, to stay with the program. The portal has made college ball into the NFL, which in my opinion is ruining the history and the competition of college football. I believe we all agree at this point, the SEC is not for Harsin or any of his hand picked staff. I also have little faith that AU will hire a difference maker. I fully expect Freeze to be hired, which may jump start us for two years and then Malzahn 2.0 reappears. It’s a vicious cycle, or so it seems. 

• Like 1

I seem to remember an article or two similar to that when Chizik was hired.  Gist was that he hit the ground running with recruiting, including shoring up existing recruits.  It makes sense that a new head coach would make assessing recruits, and getting them basically re-recruited, two priorities.