Players perception of the rest of the year

Taker

What is everyone's opinion for the players with eligibility or a potential future on the league. Should they just call it a season and preserve their future health or stay and fight and risk injury for nothing. 

Don't reply with your O&B glasses on and explain why you think the way you do.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Taker said:

What is everyone's opinion for the players with eligibility or a potential future on the league. Should they just call it a season and preserve their future health or stay and fight and risk injury for nothing. 

Don't reply with your O&B glasses on and explain why you think the way you do.

If it’s your son, your brother, or your cousin, or your own future on the line, I wouldn’t blame the players one bit for sitting out or transferring for another year of eligibility somewhere else. Especially guys like Tank that have proven they can ball. If it’s maybe someone who hasn’t gotten much playing time, or a 2nd or 3rd string guy trying to prove himself, it’s your time to step up and show you can play with some of the guys in the SEC. I don’t think I’d want my family member risking himself and potential millions with a staff like what Auburn currently has if he is a 1st or 2nd round potential draft pick. 

That said, I was proud of the way the guys fought today for Auburn and didn’t just roll over like a dying dog. I didn’t watch the game but you can at least tell by the outcome with the score. Is this the first time we scored more than 6 points in the 2nd half since like Arkansas last season?

Ultimately, I think it’s just the next step/evolution of NIL/portal-era college football. Coaches are carousel-ing every season, universities are canning coaches midseason, there’s early-signing period, NIL and sponsor money to be made. Everyone else is looking out for themselves, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the players do so as well. This isn’t the same college football we grew up with. For some of us, that means there’s some grieving involved with loss of things like loyalty, commitment, school spirit, and fighting for the guys beside you through thick and thin, among other things. But this is the future and our present reality, for better or worse. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

Is this the first time we scored more than 6 points in the 2nd half since like Arkansas last season?

It’s the first time since we scored 10 in the 2nd half against UGA last week 😁

7 minutes ago, banditmwp said:

It’s the first time since we scored 10 in the 2nd half against UGA last week 😁

Ah, you’re right. Garbage time points which had no actual outcome on the game. Didn’t Samford put up 22 on UGA?! At least today we put up more than garbage time points on Ole Miss and we were within 7 in the 4th. Ain’t gonna cut it. Mullen starting counting offensive stats in losses at UF and they said GTFO. We need to follow suit, soon. Not saying you’re doing that, but if we as a program/staff are, that just won’t do. 

Edited by AUINSY
  • Like 1

i think if we had a decent head coach today we win the game.  i was proud of the fight we put up. one day this will all be a bad dream

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

If it’s your son, your brother, or your cousin, or your own future on the line, I wouldn’t blame the players one bit for sitting out or transferring for another year of eligibility somewhere else. Especially guys like Tank that have proven they can ball. If it’s maybe someone who hasn’t gotten much playing time, or a 2nd or 3rd string guy trying to prove himself, it’s your time to step up and show you can play with some of the guys in the SEC. I don’t think I’d want my family member risking himself and potential millions with a staff like what Auburn currently has if he is a 1st or 2nd round potential draft pick. 

That said, I was proud of the way the guys fought today for Auburn and didn’t just roll over like a dying dog. I didn’t watch the game but you can at least tell by the outcome with the score. Is this the first time we scored more than 6 points in the 2nd half since like Arkansas last season?

This is asinine to think this way.   This is typical in today’s society on this way of thinking.   

Just now, aubaseball said:

This is asinine to think this way.   This is typical in today’s society on this way of thinking.   

People wanted the players to get paid. This is what everyone asked for. I wasn’t a fan of it and didn’t support it from the outset with NIL. But this is what it is, whether you and I like it or not. Get ready for it, it’s coming. 

6 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

People wanted the players to get paid. This is what everyone asked for. I wasn’t a fan of it and didn’t support it from the outset with NIL. But this is what it is, whether you and I like it or not. Get ready for it, it’s coming. 

💯,  CFB is now worse than professional sports... every day they are now free agents... if you don't like something then you can pack your bags and move on to the next best thing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

No.....what's assinine is some stranger thinking he's owed something by a football player he knows nothing about, and quite obviously cares nothing about. These kids do not owe the fans their health and their future, espcially when fans are so hateful and exceedingly fickle. 

Times have changed and players have the power to make decisions that are in THEIR best interests instead of taking the crumbs they were given and expected to be grateful for....while taking a beating every Saturday. 

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, Taker said:

💯,  CFB is now worse than professional sports... every day they are now free agents... if you don't like something then you can pack your bags and move on to the next best thing. 

You mean these very hard working young people have power over their own lives and agency over their own bodies......imagine that.

5 minutes ago, Taker said:

Yeah, like coaches have done for years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

You mean these very hard working young people have power over their own lives and agency over their own bodies......imagine that.

9 minutes ago, Taker said:

It’s both. These things aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive. College football is drastically different than what we grew up with. The most important question now is “are we going to acknowledge it and use it to our advantage as an edge, or fight it, deny it, and fall behind?”

Edited by AUINSY

2 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

Yes, I mean these very young people, who by all means should be able to make a choice for their future but there should be some stipulations to it. When a professional athlete (who gets paid for their talent and performance) should have to be accountable to their commitments. Because after all since they are now a paid commodity they are no long amateur So they should in fact have to honor whatever commitment that is made, I get both sides it is good that they get paid they deserve it, it is good that they can take their talent to South Beach if they want. But it doesn't remove the fact that at some point in time they need to be made accountable to their commitment. 

• Like 2

Only player that might be of any note in the NFL is Bigsby. If I were him, and if Harsin doesn't get fired during the season, I'd play it out, then transfer to another program. 

If Harsin were to be fired say, tomorrow morning at 9:45AM, I'd put my transfer paperwork in that same day.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CR said:

Yeah, like coaches have done for years.

The only difference there is that the coach is under a "contract" and if he leaves because he doesn't like it he has to pay a penalty, if he is fired without cause he is owed the penalty... there are consequences to his or someone else's actions. The players do not really have that system in place... so they have now a revolving door with zero responsibility to stay and honor a commitment. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Taker said:

The only difference there is that the coach is under a "contract" and if he leaves because he doesn't like it he has to pay a penalty, if he is fired without cause he is owed the penalty... there are consequences to his or someone else's actions. The players do not really have that system in place... so they have now a revolving door with zero responsibility to stay and honor a commitment. 

It’s that way currently for players. I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually see some kind of similar contract with NIL money. That’s too many dollars to give a teenager/early 20-year old just to let it leave your program. Time will tell. 

5 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

It’s that way currently for players. I wouldn’t be surprised to eventually see some kind of similar contract with NIL money. That’s too many dollars to give a teenager/early 20-year old just to let it leave your program. Time will tell. 

The players are under a commitment that prevents them from leaving without consequences? I wasn't aware of that if that is in fact the case I rescind my statement 

31 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i think if we had a decent head coach today we win the game.  i was proud of the fight we put up. one day this will all be a bad dream

Yes, again the talent is there, the coaching is not!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AUINSY said:

Ultimately, I think it’s just the next step/evolution of NIL/portal-era college football. Coaches are carousel-ing every season, universities are canning coaches midseason, there’s early-signing period, NIL and sponsor money to be made. Everyone else is looking out for themselves, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see the players do so as well. This isn’t the same college football we grew up with. For some of us, that means there’s some grieving involved with loss of things like loyalty, commitment, school spirit, and fighting for the guys beside you through thick and thin, among other things. But this is the future and our present reality, for better or worse. 

Unless they have played less than 4 games (1play per game), this season counts even if they say I am entering the portal (which it is not open at this time). Wont save this season for them, I don’t think. Historically speaking, quitting in the middle of season, hasn’t worked very often.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HabitualChiller said:

Only player that might be of any note in the NFL is Bigsby. If I were him, and if Harsin doesn't get fired during the season, I'd play it out, then transfer to another program. 

If Harsin were to be fired say, tomorrow morning at 9:45AM, I'd put my transfer paperwork in that same day.

I think this take is good, I can see that for him

16 minutes ago, Taker said:

So the schools should treat them as employees and theyll have a contract. For better or worse. A lot of people think thats the future of college football.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Taker said:

The players are under a commitment that prevents them from leaving without consequences? I wasn't aware of that if that is in fact the case I rescind my statement 

The players currently don’t have contracts for NIL money. I wouldn’t be surprised if that changes, i.e. players have to pay back money or don’t get money if they transfer in the future. But that’s just speculation on my part. I can tell you, if I was a business person and gave that much money just to watch it walk out the door, I’d change that pretty quick. It happens in the business world, and likely will here to an extent one day in the future. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

No.....what's assinine is some stranger thinking he's owed something by a football player he knows nothing about, and quite obviously cares nothing about. These kids do not owe the fans their health and their future, espcially when fans are so hateful and exceedingly fickle. 

Times have changed and players have the power to make decisions that are in THEIR best interests instead of taking the crumbs they were given and expected to be grateful for....while taking a beating every Saturday. 

I don’t think fans thinking about players,  have an iota of impact in whether a player leaves or stays. Players are definitely trying to determine what is best for them individually, while some consider impacts to their teams, they consider themselves first which is correct approach from a health standpoint. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AUINSY said:

The players currently don’t have contracts for NIL money. I wouldn’t be surprised if that changes, i.e. players have to pay back money or don’t get money if they transfer in the future. But that’s just speculation on my part. I can tell you, if I was a business person and gave that much money just to watch it walk out the door, I’d change that pretty quick. It happens in the business world, and likely will here to an extent one day in the future. 

It would shock me if contingencies aren’t already built in.

• Like 2

We have coaches make hundreds of thousands of $ per game.  Some even close to a million.  If A&M runs Jimbo off he gets $89 million for doing bad coaching job!  $89 million!  How can we fault the players for taking what they can get or going the free agent route if they think they can do better somewhere else?