Saturday's Full pad practice Report

collijo

I've been apart of this great site for a while now and wanted to give everyone a little update on Saturday's practice.......Here goes -

First - the first thing that I noticed when walking up is all the depth at receiver.....you may ask who is the depth? Well there were 3 individuals that stood out at practice today....One is Rod. Smith (RFrs)#21 - this kid can fly and he caught evey ball thrown to him today, ran his routes nice and crisp....Two is P. Rodriguez (sp) - looks like he can play right now! He is a big target - think Mix but thinner. Good hands and lots of speed...... Three - the newby pickup Alexander - this kid ( and I mean kid) is TALL and lanky - didn't get to see him run routes but looks impressive even with out pads.

Next you notice that we are DEEP at defensive positions....I bet we go at least 3 deep at most spots on the line and quality 2 deep every where else - & they can ALL HALL A$$!!!!! I'm a football buff but, this D overall is alot faster than last years (hard to believe) :blink:

Now for the Practice - If you read the scout.com articles don't be concerned on the inside run stuff. They are told not to try and run to the corners therefore there is a imaginey line that they CAN'T go past (IE upper hand defensive) Kenny Irons will be the next great back at AU and will have a big season :big: - He hit the wholes with authority even though the D had the upper hand due to the inside drill. At one point him and David I. went at it for a little brotherly lovin' :poke: cool to watch!

QB situation - Cox looked good with the first unit and I thought threw the ball well and excuted what was given to him. On the other hand Booker seems to have taken a back seat to Fields in my mind - Booker looked like a deer in the headlights at times - while fields threw the ball with confidence ( got picked twice - one not his fault)

TE - Trott is huge....I thought that I was looking at Cooper :blink: Gabe M. will redshirt in my mind ( head is swimming as Tubs says) Trott though looked pretty solid for a Fresh. Copper and Cole still look great and Cole is alot bigger this year added about 10 of muscle it looks like!

DE - Everyone knows about the stars but, the newcomer to the group......Alonzo Horton - he had a great day - he beat several tackles on the one-one drills and drew praises from the coaches!!! :big: S McClover is fine - looked like he was just a little sore at the end of practice. B) (primetime as they say)

LB's - We are loaded with depth here as well - but how can they not let Merrill Johnson and Chris Evans not play alot?? They looked great in the inside drill with Evans decleating Lester on one play.

Safety's - BROCK is a BEAST :big: - Tony Bell better watch it cause he may not see time at the strong spot.....Brock is the clear leader - also Tony got called out by Gibbs several times then sent to the sidelines to quote - "get his Sh@t straight!!" :blink: - OUCH!

Overall - For the first practice I'm really upbeat about the team - still see us around the 9-2 mark or higher depending on the breaks! Hope ya'll got a good sense of the team!

Does anyone feel the "nip" anytime soon??? :P

Awesome report on the team. I feel like with all of those new guys you mentioned, we may be at the reloading stage, which is great. And I've been saying since Kenny transfered that he has a shot at greatness. Carnell/Ronnie-type greatness? No. Well, probably not. But plenty good enough. Maybe he'll prove me wrong in a good way. I hope so.

Now, what's this about the Predator? Somebody tell me.

How did the O-line look? W/ our new backfield I'm most concerned about thst position, and this report doesn't do much to make me feel better.

The O-Line looke good at times....seems though that Cope was having problems with Thompson and Jackson all day during the inside drills. Steven Ross had to sit out about midway through the practice due to some injury....didn't seem serious.

The O-line during skelly drills looked to pas protect well for Cox, I say that b/c Cox got rid of the ball when he was suppose to - Fields kept double cluching which allowed Groves to get to him faster. Another kid to watch on O-Line who is either a Rfr or Fr. is some Gonzaluez guy(I think)...he looked good and is big! I wouldn't worry about the line due to the cirmcumstances of the inside drills were putting them in......heck the D new every check off Cox would do - he checked one time and Travis Williams just moved to the exact whole Kenny hit.....not to fair! :poke:

As far as the Predator B) ......it was the last full contact work that he reflared his hammy injury - I look for him to sit out today and be back on Tuesday ( they get Monday off) I stayed and listened until Tommy broke practice - I was on the recruiting sidelines with my Cuz who was a TigerHost when in school. I was less than 5 feet from all the big plays of the scrimmage- I didn't see Stanely carted off but, then again once he went to the training tent - I didn't look for him that much.

Hope this helps! :D

I've been apart of this great site for a while now and wanted to give everyone a little update on Saturday's practice.......Here goes -

First - the first thing that I noticed when walking up is all the depth at receiver.....you may ask who is the depth?  Well there were 3 individuals that stood out at practice today....One is Rod. Smith (RFrs)#21 - this kid can fly and he caught evey ball thrown to him today, ran his routes nice and crisp....Two is P. Rodriguez (sp) - looks like he can play right now!  He is a big target - think Mix but thinner.  Good hands and lots of speed......  Three - the newby pickup Alexander - this kid ( and I mean kid) is TALL and lanky - didn't get to see him run routes but looks impressive even with out pads.

Next you notice that we are DEEP at defensive positions....I bet we go at least 3 deep at most spots on the line and quality 2 deep every where else  - & they can ALL HALL A$$!!!!!  I'm a football buff but, this D overall is alot faster than last years (hard to believe) :blink:

Now for the Practice - If you read the scout.com articles don't be concerned on the inside run stuff.  They are told not to try and run to the corners therefore there is a imaginey line that they CAN'T go past (IE upper hand defensive)  Kenny Irons will be the next great back at AU and will have a big season :big:   - He hit the wholes with authority even though the D had the upper hand due to the inside drill.  At one point him and David I. went at it for a little brotherly lovin'  :poke: cool to watch!

QB situation - Cox looked good with the first unit and  I thought threw the ball well and excuted what was given to him.  On the other hand Booker seems to have taken a back seat to Fields in my mind - Booker looked like a deer in the headlights at times - while fields threw the ball with confidence ( got picked twice - one not his fault)

TE - Trott is huge....I thought that I was looking at Cooper :blink:   Gabe M. will redshirt in my mind ( head is swimming as Tubs says)  Trott though looked pretty solid for a Fresh.  Copper and Cole still look great and Cole is alot bigger this year added about 10 of muscle it looks like!

DE - Everyone knows about the stars but, the newcomer to the group......Alonzo Horton - he had a great day - he beat several tackles on the one-one drills and drew praises from the coaches!!! :big:   S McClover is fine - looked like he was just a little sore at the end of practice. B) (primetime as they say)

LB's - We are loaded with depth here as well - but how can they not let Merrill Johnson and Chris Evans not play alot??  They looked great in the inside drill with Evans decleating Lester on one play.

Safety's - BROCK is a BEAST :big:   - Tony Bell better watch it cause he may not see time at the strong spot.....Brock is the clear leader - also Tony got called out by Gibbs several times then sent to the sidelines to quote - "get his Sh@t straight!!" :blink: - OUCH!

Overall - For the first practice I'm really upbeat about the team - still see us around the 9-2 mark or higher depending on the breaks!  Hope ya'll got a good sense of the team!

Does anyone feel the "nip" anytime soon??? :P

172846[/snapback]

Stanley has a pulled hamstring...but the report is AUsome...thanks!!! :)

:au::homer:

Collijo, nice reporting. The Birmingham News could use a man with your talents. Keep up the good work.

WAR EAGLE!!!

Pulled Hamstring? I don't know how long it takes to recover in football, but in baseball, it takes a pretty long time.

172900[/snapback]

That's what I was thinking. And somone said he'd be back practicing tuesday. :blink:

As per ITAT: CTT said defensive end Stanley McClover, who injured a hamstring during Saturday morning’s practice, will be out for at least a week before he returns to practice.

Archived