Cox's arm getting tired to quick?

woods1110

Tigers get first test run in scrimmage today

By Jay G. Tate

Montgomery Advertiser

Auburn quarterback Brandon Cox has battled problems with arm fatigue.

-- Mickey Welsh

AUBURN -- Chris Evans' career hit an athletic peak Tuesday.

Auburn's freshman linebacker participated in the first two-practice day of his career, quickly learning how long drills, heat and humidity can stun even the most highly trained athlete.

"I've never been through anything like this," said Evans, the top backup at middle linebacker. "It's hot out there. It'll kill you if you're not careful. I'm just glad I worked hard in the offseason. Without that, I wouldn't have made it."

Evans and his classmates still have plenty of work ahead.

Auburn will hold its first scrimmage this morning, affording coaches approximately 90 plays to assess their players. Head coach Tommy Tuberville said he'll use the exhibition to make decisions about how freshmen will be used this season.

The scrimmage will begin with the No. 1 offense against the No. 1 defense, but younger players quickly will become the focus.

"(Today) will be a big test to see where they are and see if they're going to get as much work the next few weeks," Tuberville said. "We need to scrimmage."

Offensive lineman Leon Hart is excited about the opportunity.

He was a top reserve last season and a starting position at guard is all but assured. That doesn't sap Hart's enthusiasm for full-speed work.

"It's somewhat like a game in that you're more psyched out and getting after it a little bit more," said Hart, a sophomore. "That and you talk more trash. Actually, yeah, it's pretty much like a game."

The scrimmage will serve as a dry run for new quarterback Brandon Cox, who performed unevenly during the first week of practice.

He didn't throw during the two-a-day workout Tuesday. Tuberville said Cox's arm had been tiring, and the sophomore needed a day to regain strength.

The team's top backup candidates, Calvin Booker and Blake Field, also will make several throws today. Tuberville said he won't make any firm decisions about Cox's backup until after the team's second scrimmage Saturday.

Today's work, though, could make a difference.

"It's still a big day for those two guys," Tuberville said.

Defensive coordinator David Gibbs said he plans to spend today's scrimmage "watching the whole defense," and won't direct attention to any particular spot.

Cornerback, though, demands analysis.

Junior David Irons has been the most consistent cornerback during the first week of drills. Senior Montae Pitts and junior-college transfer Jonathan Wilhite have been nearly even on the opposite side, leading to speculation that Pitts could be used in a reserve role.

Gibbs said all positions are available.

"I'm open-minded. Anybody can jump up at me," said Gibbs, who is in his first season at Auburn. "They all know if they don't perform every day, they'll get moved up or down the depth chart. The starting lineup since I've been here - that doesn't mean a thing to me right now. If they're not performing, the next guy will jump over them."

The scrimmage, which begins at 10:15 a.m., will be held either on the intramural fields or the SprinTurf field behind the athletic complex. A final decision will be made this morning.

Evans doesn't care where he plays.

"I've got to show these coaches what I can do," he said. "The time to show it is (today). That first impression makes a big difference."

Ramsey out: Wideout Jamoga Ramsey suffered a serious knee injury during Tuesday's early practice. He is expected to miss the season.

After catching a touchdown pass, Ramsey fell awkwardly and quickly clutched his right knee. Coach Tommy Tuberville said Ramsey will have reconstructive surgery today.

Ramsey, a junior walk-on, was expected to play a reserve role this season.

Second opinion: Center David Ross, who missed part of last season and spring drills with a knee injury, had an X-ray taken of the troublesome knee Monday.

Tuberville said the scan showed nothing unusual. Ross, a senior, has been slowed by lingering fatigue in the knee and a strained tendon in his hip. Walk-on Joe Cope also has been working with the first-team offense.

Can anyone who attends practice give us a report on how Cox's arm is tiring? Is it tiring that much? Will it be a problem during games?

This is somewhat troubling. I thought that Cox had spent the summer in Auburn throwing and working out every day. To me it is somewhat strange that a quarterback would have arm fatigue one week in to practice. I hope there is nothing else to this.

Second opinion: Center David Ross, who missed part of last season and spring drills with a knee injury, had an X-ray taken of the troublesome knee Monday.

Tuberville said the scan showed nothing unusual. Ross, a senior, has been slowed by lingering fatigue in the knee and a strained tendon in his hip. Walk-on Joe Cope also has been working with the first-team offense.

Man he went from a senior in HS to a starting center at :au: mighty fast. How the years fly by. :blink: And to think he didnt wanna choose between :au: and the bammers yet. Phooey!

A QBs arm takes a beating. ever noticed how after a long practice or game, the QB (pro and college)has ice on his arm? He'll be fine. When the season starts the reps will go down somewhat. Right now he's getting a lot of throwing in. That will tire anybody down. Hopefully he will get stronger as the season continues. But unless he strains something, he'll be OK. The coaches know this and would like for it to be a non-issue, but they also know how to work around it.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/birmingha...0890.xml&coll=2

That's no reason for alarm, says coach Tommy Tuberville. Cox is simply experiencing normal arm soreness after practicing for the first time as a starter, and will play today.

I'll have to trust CTT. If he's been throwing almost every day since practice began, then it does sound like normal fatigue to me. Even major league baseball pitchers don't pitch games on successive days.

Archived