Potential Offensive Playmakers in 2023

StatTiger

35 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Gotta put TJ in there at this point.

I would say no for now, simply because the starting QB won't be named for a while and certainly won't happen during spring camp. Should he be named the starter, I would agree at that point. When it comes to impact plays, it is the plays resulting in 15+ yards from running or receiving. Someone like Robby Ashford, could still be utilized in a situational role should he not be QB1 or even a position change. This gives him the chance to continue making an impact on offense. For Finley, it is likely QB1 or transfer. 

2 cents

• Like 2

I’m honestly shocked TJ is allowed to be here. I mean, didn’t he essentially quit the team and not even travel the last half of the season? On top of all the social media shots he fired?

I guess Freeze is giving him a clean slate since the last regime was so bad. But my understanding was, even when we KNEW Harsin was gone, that TJ wasn’t coming back next year regardless. Surprised he stuck around.

• Like 3

A history note...

From 1992-2022, the top-6 impact players on offense at Auburn has broken down to the following:

WR: 2.9

RB: 2.4 (Includes fullbacks)

QB: .3

TE: .3

The breakdown suggests the strong possibility of five of the slots going to the WR and RB positions. This was the primary reason why I left Finley out of the top-6 because he is not likely to run or catch passes resulting in 7-10 impact plays. The odds are strong that Jarquez Hunter and Ja'Varrius Johnson make the top-6 for the third consecutive year if they remain healthy. If Ashford starts at QB or the starter is a DT QB, there is a strong possibility the starting QB will take up the third slot. My guess is that Camden Brown and Rivaldo Fairweather will make the top-6 in 2023. Brown showed plenty of potential last season in limited action and he has caught the attention of the current staff. Hugh Freeze likes big receivers with a great catch radius. Fairweather brings that to the table too along with 15.5 yards per reception on 54 collegiate receptions. During the last ten years, Auburn's TE's have averaged only 9.6 YPR and an impact play every 3.6 receptions. Fairweather has averaged an impact play every 2.1 receptions. He brings to the table, something no other TE on the roster can duplicate. 

History indicates there will likely be at least two RB's in the top 6, which is why I included Alston and Battie. Jeremiah Cobb could be in the mix if the coaches elect to play him as a true freshman. For now, the odds are he will RS in 2023 because 3 RB's normally address the bulk of the carries that go to the RB's. Cobb would have to be exceptional to steal one of those 3 slots or injuries have hit the position. Brian Battie has more 20+ yard runs that any of the RB's that will be available, and the Auburn staff really like his work ethic. The final slot to make up the top 6, could hinge on the starting QB. A pocket passer would likely mean the sixth slot going to a WR. A starting DT QB could mean the final slot going to another RB, especially if the running game clicks in 2023. 

Bottom line, it should be interesting to see how it all plays out. From 1992-2022, Auburn has won 80 percent of their games with at least 8 impact plays during a game and 85 percent when Auburn has more impact plays than the opposition. As bad as the offense was in 2022, the Tigers still finished at 26th nationally when it came to their ratio of generating impact plays. With 4 of the top-5 returning in 2023, it could establish a good foundation for the offense. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

23 hours ago, W.E.D said:

So passing QBs don't have "impact" plays

TJ is not a "playmaker"...certainly not a difference maker.  By your standard every QB who takes a snap is a playmaker....not true.  Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, and maybe Stidham were playmakers at the position...they had the ability to change the outcome of the game in a positive way.  TJ currently lacks that ability and has only remotely come close to showing it against lower tier competition in the GSU game 2 years ago.

@StatTiger I think a better term to use is "Difference Maker".  

Edited by AUDevil

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

TJ is not a "playmaker"...certainly not a difference maker.  By your standard every QB who takes a snap is a playmaker....not true.  Cam Newton, Nick Marshall, and maybe Stidham were playmakers at the position...they had the ability to change the outcome of the game in a positive way.  TJ currently lacks that ability and has only remotely come close to showing it against lower tier competition in the GSU game 2 years ago.

@StatTiger I think a better term to use is "Difference Maker".  

TJ has shown flashes he has the ability to be a "difference maker".  Yes, one was GSU, he's had a tight window throw vs Bama and he has plenty of film from LSU vs P5 competition.  It's been far too inconsistent and he needs to put it all together, no doubt.  The best throw/catch in the first scrimmage was made by TJ.

What's more, and my main point, we're using the logic that "He hasn't shown it" but we're including 2 guys that also literally haven't shown it.  That is really contradictory and a different set of criteria. 

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

What's more, and my main point, we're using the logic that "He hasn't shown it" but we're including 2 guys that also literally haven't shown it.  That is really contradictory and a different set of criteria. 

Kind of.  A little bit of it is based on practice reports. As far as TJ, I’d say he’s proven he CAN’T do it.  Maybe he’ll have his miracle Borges moment, but I doubt it…doesn’t have the tools of JC.

• Like 2