More Big NCAA Recruiting Rules Changes

toddc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2025 class but still!

• Like 1

Reviewing the latest proposals from the NCAA Football Oversight Committee

Article written by:Matt Zenitz

The NCAA Football Oversight Committee has made several recommendations to the NCAA Division I Council related to recruiting and redshirt rules.

The Football Oversight Committee has recommended to extend the blanket waiver that allows teams to sign an unlimited number of players each year as long as they don’t exceed the overall roster limit of 85, sources tell On3. 

The recommendation is to extend that waiver, which has been in place since May 2022, for an additional year through the 2024-25 academic year. 

The Oversight Committee has also now introduced legislation to permanently eliminate that annual limit of 25 players per signing class.

Those developments were first reported by Sports Illustrated.

Among the additional recommendations from the Football Oversight Committee to the Division I Council was to issue another blanket waiver that increases the official visit limit for teams from 56 to 70 for the period of April 1, 2023 through March 31, 2024, sources tell On3.

While recruits are now allowed to take unlimited official visits beginning July 1, the limit on official visits for teams has been back to down to 56 since the end of March.

In addition, the Football Oversight Committee recommended extending the blanket waiver from December that allows players to still be able to redshirt after playing in four regular season games and additional postseason games.

You may also like

Rams signing former Steelers CB Akhello Witherspoon

Jimmie Johnson's in-laws and nephew dead in murder-suicide

Commitment Possibly Coming Soon for Nation's No. 1 RB Taylor Tatum

The Football Oversight Committee also introduced legislation allowing the use of helmets and spider pads as the only protective equipment during spring practice non-contact practice sessions.

The other recent proposal

As On3 wrote about previously, the NCAA Division I Council introduced a proposal on Tuesday to cut the transfer portal windows from 60 days total down to 30.

“Data from the past year indicate that most student-athletes enter the transfer portal at the beginning of the transfer window,” the NCAA said.

The winter portal window was 45 days from Dec. 5 to Jan. 18. The spring window then went for 15 days from April 15 to April 30.

“Now that the proposal has been formally introduced, respective oversight committees and the Division I Student Athlete Advisory Committee will gather additional feedback and offer potential amendments to the proposal over the summer,” the NCAA said.

A final vote will take place in October.