Reflecting on the pre-WWII rise of Fascism in relation to MAGA

Didba

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2023/7/25/2183348/-Dietrich-Bonhoeffer-explained-how-stupidity-enables-MAGA

interesting opinion piece, not sure I agree with all of it but I did enjoy the quotes from Bonhoeffer. Dude was hung by the Nazis for his stout, outspoken condemnation of Hitler. Definitely, had an interesting perspective being locked away in a Nazi prison till he was hung at the end of WWII. 

you can ignore the modern authors interjections between the quotes, not much real substance there. 

Edited by Didba

I found these quotes particularly interesting:

“There are human beings who are of remarkably agile intellect yet stupid, and others who are intellectually quite dull yet anything but stupid.”  

“The fact that the stupid person is often stubborn must not blind us to the fact that he is not independent. In conversation with him, one virtually feels that one is dealing not at all with a person, but with slogans, catchwords and the like that have taken possession of him. He is under a spell, blinded, misused, and abused in his very being. Having thus become a mindless tool, the stupid person will also be capable of any evil and at the same time incapable of seeing that it is evil.”    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUFAN78 said:

“There are human beings who are of remarkably agile intellect yet stupid, and others who are intellectually quite dull yet anything but stupid.”  

“The fact that the stupid person is often stubborn must not blind us to the fact that he is not independent. In conversation with him, one virtually feels that one is dealing not at all with a person, but with slogans, catchwords and the like that have taken possession of him. He is under a spell, blinded, misused, and abused in his very being. Having thus become a mindless tool, the stupid person will also be capable of any evil and at the same time incapable of seeing that it is evil.”    

Me too, the amount of Fox News sound bites I have witnessed told to me as if the person came up with it themselves is astounding.

I’m sure it happens just as much with the older generation of democrats glued to CNN. 

I don’t do any 24-hour News cycle media plus due to my political science background most of my opinions were formed independent of news media. Still crazy to see what he posited back in the 1930s/40s in action on both sides of the political spectrum today. 

Edited by Didba

On 7/27/2023 at 10:45 AM, AUFAN78 said:

“Having thus become a mindless tool, the stupid person will also be capable of any evil and at the same time incapable of seeing that it is evil.”    

POST OF THE DAY. 

I will have a great day reading that and KNOWING that it is still true today, right here, right now.

Edited by DKW 86

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

POST OF THE DAY. 

I will have a great day reading that and KNOWING that it is still true today, right here, right now.

Take it back to its basic form. You have to understand the pom poms. Not everybody can, unfortunately. 

Edited by AUFAN78