FSU backs NCAA into a corner

Guest Tigrinum Major

I hope they allow Illinois and North Dakota to keep their mascots as well.

The Nazis should just try to get their act together and quit worrying about things like school mascots. It's kind of like the Federal gov't vs. states rights and the mascots are the perogative of the schools (states).

Amazing what a well worded letter from a lawyer will accomplish:

175742[/snapback]

Unless that lawyer is Tommy Gallion, Esq.--in which case the NCAA will die laughing. :big:

Well, I'm glad they let FSU keep their mascot and I hope that other schools get to keep their mascots as well. Quite frankly, I think the NCAA was just looking to gripe about something and it backfired on them. :au:

i knew the big schools like FSU wouldn't have to change mascots....they have the money and the pull to get around it. Its the little smaller schools that this going to affect....it really sucks that the NCAA is worrying about this.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to correct something that may be offensive to others.

There are always exceptions to any sweeping edict--in this case there is no objection from the Seminole Tribe and there have been good relations between them amd FSU. (It was not the lawyer that did it; it was the tribe. If the tribe had supported the NCAA stance, the NCAA would have stayed the course.) There may be other such instances as well.

I find it hard to believe that the NCAA just idly came up with this whole thing. I suspect there were complaints from some quarter.

(I also didn't see evidence of the NCAA "crying like a baby". I did see Jeb Bush trying to garner political gain from all the FSU supporters.)

Guest Tigrinum Major
(I also didn't see evidence of the NCAA "crying like a baby".  I did see Jeb Bush trying to garner political gain from all the FSU supporters.)

175804[/snapback]

I actually said "crying like a little girl" in my best Mike Meyers' Sprockets accent.

It's called hyperbole and exaggeration.

On a related note (I can hijack the thread since I started it), here is a fairly humorous article on what would happen if the SEC went PC:

SEC Mascot Switch

Just a liberal "trial balloon". They will bring it up every five years or so until they get what they want.

I don't see anything wrong with trying to correct something that may be offensive to others.

175804[/snapback]

That would be a full time job since it seems almost everything offends somebody these days. What got lost awhile back is......COMMON SENSE :P

I'm so sick of people thinking that we ahve three mascots that I could throw up everywhere. It's not even funny anymore.

175918[/snapback]

Not to mention his ignorance in stating that Auburn stole "tigers" from LSU. The fact is Auburn played it's first game a full year before LSU as the Auburn Tigers.

Hmmmm.....wonder if corndogs would offend anyone :big:

Don't let the door hit you on your way out. :big::poke:

Don't let the door hit you on your way out.  :big:   :poke:

175976[/snapback]

I knew that was coming...... but I was surprised it took 2 min for someone to post that.....yall must like me more than I thought. I thought for sure it would be posted at the 2:09 or at least the 2:10 mark. But 2:11? Awesome!! :D:D

"I don't see anything wrong with trying to correct something that may be offensive to others."

Okay, "Rolltoomer" is offensive to me...correct it. You have to have some rational reason for being offended before you deserve serious consideration of your demands. Any knucklehead can be offended by anything under the sun.

Living in Tally, I can vouch that Jeb backed the Noles on this one, especially interesting since he's a die hard Candycane fan. But against the NCAA? C'mon, you're right...it's OUTRAGEOUS for the guvna to back a huge population in his state against an out of state tyrant. OUTRAGEOUS!

I'm so sick of people thinking that we ahve three mascots that I could throw up everywhere. It's not even funny anymore.

175918[/snapback]

Not to mention his ignorance in stating that Auburn stole "tigers" from LSU. The fact is Auburn played it's first game a full year before LSU as the Auburn Tigers.

Hmmmm.....wonder if corndogs would offend anyone :big:

175965[/snapback]

I think you are right that Auburn was the Tigers before LSU. I think the story goes something like this John Heisman really liked the Tiger name so every school he coached was named Tigers.

Heisman, John W.

Football

b. Oct. 25, 1869, Cleveland, OH

d. Oct. 3, 1936

Other Resources

Heisman played football at Brown University from 1887 through 1889 and at the University of Pennsylvania in 1890 and 1891. He coached in 1892 at Oberlin College. It was only the second year of football at the school, but Heisman's team won all 7 of its games, including a victory over Michigan and two over Ohio State.

He was 5-2-0 at Akron University in 1893, returned to Oberlin for a 4-3-1 season in 1894, and then took over at Auburn University for 5 seasons, winning 12 games, losing 4, and tying 2.

In 1900, Heisman became coach at Clemson. His first team won all 6 of its games and he had a 19-3-2 record there in 4 seasons before moving on to Georgia Tech, where he had the longest stay of his 36-year career.

Heisman turned Georgia Tech into a football power. His 1915, 1916, and 1917 teams were all unbeaten, contributing to a 32-game undefeated streak, including 2 ties. Tech outscored its opponents 1,592 to 62 during that stretch. Its 222-0 victory over Cumberland in 1916 is the highest score ever recorded.

In 16 seasons at Georgia Tech, Heisman had a 100-29-6 record. He returned to Pennsylvania as coach in 1920 and had a 16-10-2 record in 3 seasons there. After a 7-2-0 mark at Washington and Jefferson in 1923, he finished his coaching career with 4 seasons at Rice Institute, where he was 14-18-3.

One of the sport's chief innovators, Heisman developed one of the first shifts, which was named for him. He was probably the first coach to have both guards pull to lead an end run, a forerunner of the Green Bay Packer power sweep of the 1960s. And he may have been the first to have the center toss the ball back instead of rolling or kicking it, though others claimed that honor.

An early advocate of legalizing the forward pass, Heisman was also a proponent of dividing a game into quarters instead of halves. He was a founder and twice president of the American Football Coaches Association.

After retiring from coaching, he became athletic director of the Downtown Athletic Club in New York City. The club in 1935 began awarding a trophy to college football's outstanding player. After Heisman died in 1936, the award became known as the Heisman Memorial Trophy

above from http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/heismanjohn.shtml

Archived