Child mortality skyrocketed 2019-21.

TexasTiger

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

Ultimately, the problem is treating healthcare as a elective consumer "product" in a laissez faire capitalistic system.  We need to consider is as part of our societal infrastructure. 

There are other countries with better outcomes and lower costs.  We need to study and emulate them. 

It was the worlds greatest for decades. Maybe there’s more to it than political emulation? 

7 hours ago, johnnyAU said:

I imagine a significant portion of this issue had to do with either being locked down (being forced to stay at home for school, work, etc... leading to isolation and depression) and some small businesses being devastated and folks losing their jobs and livelihoods. 

I think that definitely took its own toll. The study I cited, however, showing higher suicide rates in rural areas is from 1999-2019.

11 hours ago, autigeremt said:

It was the worlds greatest for decades. Maybe there’s more to it than political emulation? 

If another country achieves better outcomes at a lower cost it behooves us to study their system and consider incorporating whatever elements that might improve our system.

I would call that common sense more than "political emulation".

Edited by homersapien

On 8/30/2023 at 1:45 PM, TexasTiger said:

I don’t think this is a partisan political issue:

IMG_7941.png

IMG_7943.png
https://www.ruralhealthinfo.org/toolkits/suicide/1/rural

I’m guessing it’s tied to larger issues of dwindling opportunities and fewer community ties as life becomes more virtual.

That is true, and it is deplorable, and I am truly on board with this, BUT, it really has nothing to do with the OP, which was about maternal/natal/neonatal mortality -- i.e., death in childbirth.

44 minutes ago, AURex said:

That is true, and it is deplorable, and I am truly on board with this, BUT, it really has nothing to do with the OP, which was about maternal/natal/neonatal mortality -- i.e., death in childbirth.

Read it again.

the shame in all this is unless it is changed we lead in infant deaths in the country. yep bama is number one or was and i doubt it has changed. it is shameful and it breaks my heart.