Child mortality skyrocketed 2019-21.

TexasTiger

These numbers would appear to reflect a crisis:

Child and adolescent mortality rates in the United States rose by 20% between 2019 and 2021, the largest increase in at least 50 years, according to an editorial published Monday in the Journal of the American Medical Association. These increases follow decades of progress in lowering the rate of death from childhood diseases. The alarming spike in pediatric mortality is primarily due to deaths from homicide, accidental drug overdoses, motor vehicle accidents and suicide among those ages 10 to 19.

The new research is based on a detailed examination of death certificate data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The analysis revealed that the mortality rate of Americans ages 1 to 19 rose by 11% between 2019 and 2020 and an additional 8% between 2020 and 2021.

https://news.vcu.edu/article/2023/03/child-and-teen-mortality-in-the-us-experiences-largest-increase-in-decades?fbclid=IwAR3-5Ai6L-MK7p9S_Rch4THsGZJ7QquC-1CyXV06LgiEx-DJbnP75c75HHI

The party that forms a coherent strategy to address this would likely find a following, particularly from swing voters.

The child mortality rate in the U.S. is among the highest of all economically developed countries. The reason it is so high is because of poor access to reproductive health care, pregnancy counseling, abortion services for at-risk women, and postnatal care. OB-GYN units in hospitals around the country have been shutting down, OB-GYN doctors have been leaving states, and restrictive abortion laws are increasing mortality rates. You can just surmise the states with the highest child mortality rates. And if you think those states are going to do anything about it, I'd suggest that just ain't gonna happen.

I'm now retired, but I worked in medical centers and health institutions for decades. It is such a sad state of affairs. The U.S. has become a 3rd world country in regards to child mortality. We all know why that it.

• Like 2

Ultimately, the problem is treating healthcare as a elective consumer "product" in a laissez faire capitalistic system.  We need to consider is as part of our societal infrastructure. 

There are other countries with better outcomes and lower costs.  We need to study and emulate them. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

The alarming spike in pediatric mortality is primarily due to deaths from homicide, accidental drug overdoses, motor vehicle accidents and suicide among those ages 10 to 19.

Are commenters just skipping over this part?  Increased violence in major cities and psychological problems are what is to blame for the increased mortality of *children*.  Increased lawlessness and keeping kids locked up with no social interaction is to blame.

55 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Are commenters just skipping over this part?  Increased violence in major cities and psychological problems are what is to blame for the increased mortality of *children*.  Increased lawlessness and keeping kids locked up with no social interaction is to blame.

There’s huge drug issues in rural areas and violent crime is up there, too. You’re immediately going to partisan talking points. It’s bigger than either parties talking points.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

There’s huge drug issues in rural areas and violent crime is up there, too. You’re immediately going to partisan talking points. It’s bigger than either parties talking points.

Is there more violence, in terms of number of deaths, in rural areas as opposed to Chicago by our youth?  If you can’t recognize the issue affecting these type of numbers means you are glossing over the real threat.  No one wants to talk about the gang related deaths because officials don’t want to address it so they rationalize by your point above.  

The lockdowns due to COVID is a nation wide problem and not partisan, so your issue is gang violence is not the only violence even though it makes up most of the deaths from 10-19?

Why post this unless you want to discuss the problem?

• Facepalm 1

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Is there more violence, in terms of number of deaths, in rural areas as opposed to Chicago by our youth?  If you can’t recognize the issue affecting these type of numbers means you are glossing over the real threat.  No one wants to talk about the gang related deaths because officials don’t want to address it so they rationalize by your point above.  

The lockdowns due to COVID is a nation wide problem and not partisan, so your issue is gang violence is not the only violence even though it makes up most of the deaths from 10-19?

Why post this unless you want to discuss the problem?

That’s an issue. It’s part of the problem. Your response was focused on only that. You have zero interest in a broader discussion. Just political points.

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Increased violence in major cities and psychological problems are what is to blame for the increased mortality of *children*.  Increased lawlessness and keeping kids locked up with no social interaction is to blame.

3 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

That’s an issue. It’s part of the problem. Your response was focused on only that. You have zero interest in a broader discussion. Just political points.

It is a major part, where would you start?

8 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

I don’t think this is a political issue:

How are you going to fix it without politics?

I imagine a significant portion of this issue had to do with either being locked down (being forced to stay at home for school, work, etc... leading to isolation and depression) and some small businesses being devastated and folks losing their jobs and livelihoods. 

• Like 2

Which country first innovated and developed the covid vaccines, has far and away the most pharma patents,  and is consistently ranked as having the top 1-3 most advanced medical capabilities in the world? And the solution to improve it is to let the fed government run it…. There are serious problems but we might want to do a little more thinking on this.

• Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

Which country first innovated and developed the covid vaccines, has far and away the most pharma patents,  and is consistently ranked as having the top 1-3 most advanced medical capabilities in the world? And the solution to improve it is to let the fed government run it…. There are serious problems but we might want to do a little more thinking on this.

I agree with this. The patent is the "chase" that funds a lot of the other failed attempts, especially for the small pharma companies.

I think if we start regulating the prices, we will start to see a decrease in innovation, and even more of a consolidation of companies.

• Facepalm 1

29 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

1 minute ago, arein0 said:

I agree with this. The patent is the "chase" that funds a lot of the other failed attempts, especially for the small pharma companies.

I think if we start regulating the prices, we will start to see a decrease in innovation, and even more of a consolidation of companies.

Are you guys in the right thread?

54 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Note my edit. Not a partisan political issue. 

I read that from your original link.  It is disturbing that so many youth are losing hope, I do wonder what they are believing to push them to suicide?  The fix is what will be political unless you have a fix that doesn’t require any money.

By and far the most deaths in the 10-19 yo range is from gang violence.  How do you purpose to fix that?

25 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I read that from your original link.  It is disturbing that so many youth are losing hope, I do wonder what they are believing to push them to suicide?  The fix is what will be political unless you have a fix that doesn’t require any money.

By and far the most deaths in the 10-19 yo range is from gang violence.  How do you purpose to fix that?

Got a link to that?

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Got a link to that?

The overall gun death rate among children and teens under age 19 increased by 30%—this increase was driven by a dramatic (40%) increase in the gun homicide rate and 11% increase in the gun suicide rate.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/sites/default/files/2022-05/2020-gun-deaths-in-the-us-4-28-2022-b.pdf

Homicide was the largest single category of gun deaths among children and teens in 2021, accounting for 60% of the total that year. It was followed by suicide at 32% and accidents at 5%. Among U.S. adults, by contrast, suicides accounted for a 55% majority of gun deaths in 2021.

A chart showing that most gun deaths by U.S. kids are homicides while most among adults are suicides.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/04/06/gun-deaths-among-us-kids-rose-50-percent-in-two-years/

Gun deaths, overdoses, and car accidents caused childhood deaths to rise during the pandemic.

Change in death rate by cause of death per 100K children, ages 1 through 19, between 2019 and 2021

decreased

Death Rate

increased 

Firearm

+1.7

Overdose

+1.2

Car accident

+1

Other disease (e.g., COVID-19)

+0.7

Other non-injury

+0.2

Fire/flame

+0.1

Cut/pierce

+0.1

Diabetes mellitus

+0.1

Drowning

+0.1

Suffocation

−0.1

Chronic respiratory diseases

−0.1

Other pedestrian accidents

−0.1

Septicemia

−0.1

Congenital abnormalities

−0.1

Influenza and pneumonia

−0.2

Sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

see more

Note: Data shows “injury mechanisms and all other leading causes.” Any underlying cause of death where the death rate remained unchanged between 2019 and 2021 is not displayed.

Injury-related deaths shown combine homicide, suicide, and unintentional deaths

https://usafacts.org/data-projects/child-death

All though I couldn’t find an article that specifically showed gang violence it is obvious that most of the homicides are gang related.  I’m unsure why there is no data that separates gang related homicides from other homicides, but African American children are the victims of gun violence 10 times more often than white and Hispanic.  You can draw you own conclusion.

35 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The overall gun death rate among children and teens under age 19 increased by 30%—this increase was driven by a dramatic (40%) increase in the gun homicide rate and 11% increase in the gun suicide rate.

https://publichealth.jhu.edu/sites/default/files/2022-05/2020-gun-deaths-in-the-us-4-28-2022-b.pdf

Homicide was the largest single category of gun deaths among children and teens in 2021, accounting for 60% of the total that year. It was followed by suicide at 32% and accidents at 5%. Among U.S. adults, by contrast, suicides accounted for a 55% majority of gun deaths in 2021.

A chart showing that most gun deaths by U.S. kids are homicides while most among adults are suicides.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/04/06/gun-deaths-among-us-kids-rose-50-percent-in-two-years/

Gun deaths, overdoses, and car accidents caused childhood deaths to rise during the pandemic.

Change in death rate by cause of death per 100K children, ages 1 through 19, between 2019 and 2021

decreased

Death Rate

increased 

Firearm

+1.7

Overdose

+1.2

Car accident

+1

Other disease (e.g., COVID-19)

+0.7

Other non-injury

+0.2

Fire/flame

+0.1

Cut/pierce

+0.1

Diabetes mellitus

+0.1

Drowning

+0.1

Suffocation

−0.1

Chronic respiratory diseases

−0.1

Other pedestrian accidents

−0.1

Septicemia

−0.1

Congenital abnormalities

−0.1

Influenza and pneumonia

−0.2

Sources: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

see more

Note: Data shows “injury mechanisms and all other leading causes.” Any underlying cause of death where the death rate remained unchanged between 2019 and 2021 is not displayed.

Injury-related deaths shown combine homicide, suicide, and unintentional deaths

https://usafacts.org/data-projects/child-death

All though I couldn’t find an article that specifically showed gang violence it is obvious that most of the homicides are gang related.  I’m unsure why there is no data that separates gang related homicides from other homicides, but African American children are the victims of gun violence 10 times more often than white and Hispanic.  You can draw you own conclusion.

Since you identify that as the top problem how would you fix it?

6 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Since you identify that as the top problem how would you fix it?

I asked you first.  We have enough laws on the books to handle the situation, we just need someone to take the bull by the horns and start.  Your solution?

6 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I asked you first.  We have enough laws on the books to handle the situation, we just need someone to take the bull by the horns and start.  Your solution?

You either want a discussion or you don’t. If you say, “I see this as the most critical issue” offer something, otherwise you’re just playing games.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

You either want a discussion or you don’t. If you say, “I see this as the most critical issue” offer something, otherwise you’re just playing games.

The fix is not easy nor will it be quick.  The community has to want to change and can be aided by organizations such as BLM and other ethnic organizations wanting to change.  Having an old fashion nuclear family unit is the best that could happen as it has in the past.  Again this will take a long time to implement.  In the mean time each governor and their respective mayors need to dedicate their time and money to re-enforce law and order.  

As we saw in the summer of discontent the federal government can not help unless asked by the respective states.  So the responsibility is up to each state and city.  The communities have to be the catalyst for this type of change to work.