Tugovaiola opts out of Music City Bowl

Bro Johnny Mac

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Definitely not a lawyer here, but my understanding is that some of the NILs are already strengthening the clauses in the agreements. So in the near future it may be more than them claiming that the athlete owes money, it may be in an enforceable and signed contract. It would be ugly for both sides. Headed to a nasty showdown I’m afraid. 

If the NIL contract specifies the athlete's obligations in order to receive the money, the NIL collective wouldn't pay money that isn't owed...so the NIL collective wouldn't be hounding the athlete to pay anything back after the fact.

2 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

Why not structure a NIL contract to pay out a certain amount of money for regular season games and a separate amount of money for the bowl game.  If you don't play the bowl game, you don't get paid for it.  Would also include a clause that if the player walks out on the team during the season, they don't get paid.  Seems fair.

I’m sure the separate amounts for regular season and bowls are forthcoming in some fashion. 

The 2nd part about include a clause that if the player walks out on the team during the season, they don't get paid… again, that could likely tread into the he said / they said territory. “Coach benched me / kicked me off the team” i.e. not my fault. Fortunately, that (players leaving during the season) doesn’t happen too often.

On 12/20/2023 at 3:47 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Love the attempt @Bro Johnny Macmade at spelling the name. 

According to what I here, I'm pretty sure you left out an "N".....

The correct spelling is Tagovailoa. 

I agree that all the announcers pronounce it as though there is an 'N' in it (sounds to me like they say Tungavailoa).  But if you look it up, there's no 'N'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Golden Eagle said:

If the NIL contract specifies the athlete's obligations in order to receive the money, the NIL collective wouldn't pay money that isn't owed...so the NIL collective wouldn't be hounding the athlete to pay anything back after the fact.

Correct, if that particular contract is structured that way. My understanding is that the agreements are all over the place right now. These billionaire boosters doing most of the funding are lawyered up and will make sure to protect their investments. It’s a mess and will get worse before it gets better.