Tugovaiola opts out of Music City Bowl

Bro Johnny Mac

4 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

he was afraid of that whupping coming.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Bizarre. He isn’t expected to be drafted. What’s the benefit of opting out of possibly his last chance to see the field?

I’ll take it though. Should be an easier game without him.

Edited by ScotsAU
  • Like 3

Not sure how this doesn’t swing things wildly in AU’s favor. I felt good before about running it down MD’s throats, but now, without their forever starting QB to keep things interesting, I think MD will kinda roll over after getting shoved around for a while. Just a guess, though.

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Shouldn’t the committee swap them out with another team now!

Agree! They are no longer a contender 

2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Love the attempt @Bro Johnny Macmade at spelling the name. 

According to what I here, I'm pretty sure you left out an "N".....

I really have no clue what this means.. 

but I’m sure it’s funny 

Edited by Bro Johnny Mac
  • Like 1

On 12/19/2023 at 4:10 PM, penguin149 said:

Not sad to see this….we REALLY need a bowl win!! Of, AU has a tendency to make a backup QB look like a Heisman hopeful!!! 

Very true. That’s what scares me. Hopefully we pull it out and gain even more momentum going into February and the spring. 

Generally speaking, I wonder if programs will start addressing bowl games in one year NIL contracts. Or if they already are? If I pay for a guy to play for one season, I want him for the bowl game. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, cbo said:

Generally speaking, I wonder if programs will start addressing bowl games in one year NIL contracts. Or if they already are? If I pay for a guy to play for one season, I want him for the bowl game. 

No different than in a case like Ewers leaving Ohio St without attending a single game. Once you get paid, you don’t owe it back.

Not a lawyer and no Holiday Inn last night. Donate at your own risk. 

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

No different than in a case like Ewers leaving Ohio St without attending a single game. Once you get paid, you don’t owe it back.

Not a lawyer and no Holiday Inn last night. Donate at your own risk. 

The difference to me is Ewers didn't play because he was on the bench. Coach's decision. I assume he was still on the team, attending meetings and practices, etc. 

When you opt out of the bowl game, you are essentially leaving the team before the season is over. Player's decision. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, cbo said:

The difference to me is Ewers didn't play because he was on the bench. Coach's decision. I assume he was still on the team, attending meetings and practices, etc. 

When you opt out of the bowl game, you are essentially leaving the team before the season is over. Player's decision. 

It’s a great point as most other NIL points similar to that are as well. Coaches’ decision. Players’ decision. Would become a he said / they said.

If they (Universities) want lawyers filing against them, start claiming that players owe money back. Would not be a good look. And how’s that going to look to future recruit prospects?

Law suits are a reason why the transfer rule had its collar loosened. NCAA hit the eject button.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Viper said:

It’s a great point as most other NIL points similar to that are as well. Coaches’ decision. Players’ decision. Would become a he said / they said.

If they (Universities) want lawyers filing against them, start claiming that players owe money back. Would not be a good look. And how’s that going to look to future recruit prospects?

Law suits are a reason why the transfer rule had its collar loosened. NCAA hit the eject button.

Why not structure a NIL contract to pay out a certain amount of money for regular season games and a separate amount of money for the bowl game.  If you don't play the bowl game, you don't get paid for it.  Would also include a clause that if the player walks out on the team during the season, they don't get paid.  Seems fair.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Viper said:

Definitely not a lawyer here, but my understanding is that some of the NILs are already strengthening the clauses in the agreements. So in the near future it may be more than them claiming that the athlete owes money, it may be in an enforceable and signed contract. It would be ugly for both sides. Headed to a nasty showdown I’m afraid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golden Eagle said:

Why not structure a NIL contract to pay out a certain amount of money for regular season games and a separate amount of money for the bowl game.  If you don't play the bowl game, you don't get paid for it.  Would also include a clause that if the player walks out on the team during the season, they don't get paid.  Seems fair.

Does seem fair. 

I admittedly don't know how the payments work. Maybe they are already getting monthly NIL payments that would cease early if they opt out of the bowl game. 

Just thought it was another interesting wrinkle to this whole thing. 

1 hour ago, cbo said:

With the 12 team playoff there will be at least 8 more teams who won’t lose a player by opting out. There will still be others elsewhere opting out for sure.