Good Read on BP

https://themessenger.com/sports/bruce-pearl-auburn-tigers-college-basketball-ncaa-mens-hoops

Jeff Goodman’s Stock Watch: Bruce Pearl Can Win at Auburn Without a True Star

Bruce Pearl, Auburn

OK, I was wrong about this Tigers team. I figured they would be a bubble team, somewhere in the middle of the SEC. But there’s a reason Pearl is one of the best coaches in the country. Auburn followed up a historic road win against Arkansas with a huge home victory over Texas A&M. The Tigers are now 13-2 overall and 2-0 in league play, and they’re a serious threat to win the SEC. This is a team without a true star, but Pearl has a lot of good players, including Johni Broome, veteran Jaylin Williams and young freshman guard Aden Holloway.

BUY: I’ve seen enough to feel good that the Tigers are for real

• Like 2

I'm not sure that Bruce's teams might not be better without a "true star". Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but it seems like Chuma, the only player from the team that made the Final Four run who has become a star in the NBA, more grew into his role as a star than he was a surefire prospect, like Jabari and Okoro, and I think we've got at least a couple of players who could be that guy this year. 

But it's got to come about a little more organically, I think, for us to make a run in March/April. The players need to rely upon each other and pick each other up, like we've been doing, so that opponents won't be able to focus on any one player and shut us down.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

and I think we've got at least a couple of players who could be that guy this year.

I think Jaylin Williams is that guy (Chuma) this year. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I think Jaylin Williams is that guy (Chuma) this year. 

Jaylin is one of the guys I was talking about. The other is Chad Baker, who strikes me as more the prototypical 3, while Jaylin is kind of a tweener between 3 and 4, but my comment was less about playing the particular role that Chuma did and more about being a breakout star whose season propels him to The League. Johni can't be that guy because he already got his first serious look from the NBA last summer; I don't think Aden is close enough to being ready that a great year would make him leave; and while Tre might be able to stick because of his size and defensive abilities, he's not flashy enough to think that he'd play his way into first-round consideration this year.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rednilla said:

Jaylin is one of the guys I was talking about. The other is Chad Baker, who strikes me as more the prototypical 3, while Jaylin is kind of a tweener between 3 and 4, but my comment was less about playing the particular role that Chuma did and more about being a breakout star whose season propels him to The League. Johni can't be that guy because he already got his first serious look from the NBA last summer; I don't think Aden is close enough to being ready that a great year would make him leave; and while Tre might be able to stick because of his size and defensive abilities, he's not flashy enough to think that he'd play his way into first-round consideration this year.

I knew what you meant originally. I just have Chuma’s image stuck in my mind when it comes to growth of a player through a season. I’m really excited to see this team getting better each week. 

• Like 1

@Rednilla  @gr82be  Great perspectives on this thread. A lot of truths in y’all’s comments. The individual improvements on this team this year is really impressive. Everyone of the guys have shown so much improvement as far a playing a team game from a year ago. 

Heck, KD Johnson in what his 3rd year with us, 4th in college. Has even bought in and is playing team ball first. That’s just an example. Everybody has bought in to this philosophy. It is fun to watch!!  If anything sometimes I think we give up great looks making extra passes.   Just let that sink in for a moment…something we have never had to worry about under CBP. 

Chuma was a star at AU but not so much the NBA*. His minutes with the Magic have steadily decreased since he's been in the league. Hopefully he'll get traded and utilized better somewhere else.

Having said that, just making a roster means you're one of the best 500 players on planet earth. 

• Like 1

This team has tremendous potential and Bruce’s best coaching job to date. 
the Sec is extremely difficult this year

• Love 1