Ladies vs #7LSU

AUHAT

1 minute ago, NCAubs said:

I apologize for the GFY. 

I just laughed at it tbh; if that's how you felt at the moment, I can't tell you if it was the right or wrong feeling. The internet is a very contentious place, unfortunately. 

4 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I just laughed at it tbh; if that's how you felt at the moment, I can't tell you if it was the right or wrong feeling. The internet is a very contentious place, unfortunately. 

It is.  We good, bro. 

• Like 2

Good write by ESPN

Auburn upsets No. 7 LSU, ends Tigers' 16-game win st

AUBURN, Ala. -- Honesty Scott-Grayson scored 21 points, and Auburn upset No. 7 LSU 67-62 on Sunday.

Defending national champion LSU entered the game with the nation's best scoring offense at 93.8 points and had won a nation's best 16 straight contests.

Auburn (12-5, 1-3 Southeastern Conference) forced 15 turnovers and held LSU (16-2, 3-1) to a season low in points in the home victory.

JaMya Mingo-Young stole the ball from LSU's Angel Reese with 10.4 seconds remaining in regulation to seal the victory. She hit both free throws to put Auburn up by two possessions.

"We guarded that play all week," Auburn coach Johnnie Harris said. "We knew, from the way [Reese] caught the ball, what she was going to do. We knew that she was going to drive it in that situation. ... Once she put it down, we knew she was going to score. She wasn't going to pass it."

Mingo-Young finished with 13 points and five assists for Auburn. Kaitlyn Duhon scored eight points, and Taylen Collins had six points and seven rebounds.

The win was Auburn's first over a top-10 opponent since beating No. 4 Tennessee at home on Jan. 27, 2022.

The announced attendance for the game was 7,720, which was the largest crowd for a women's game in the history of Auburn's Neville Arena.

"Honestly, I don't know if they were there for us, or if they were there just to see LSU," Scott-Grayson said. "But we knew we had to go out there and put on a show, either way. We weren't backing down from [LSU] just because of the name."

Reese led LSU with 24 points. She has now scored double-digit points in all 50 of her games at LSU. Reese joined Seimone Augustus as the only players in LSU history to score in double figures in 50 consecutive games.

Aneesah Morrow added 12 points and 15 rebounds, and Flau'jae Johnson scored 12 points.

Auburn led by eight points at the end of the first quarter, but LSU responded with a 10-0 run to open the second quarter. The two sides went back and forth the rest of the way, with the lead changing 17 times.

Scott-Grayson drove for a layup with 6:34 left to give Auburn a lead it wouldn't relinquish. LSU missed nine free throws, including four in the fourth quarter.

LSU attempted only two 3-pointers in the loss, with one of them being a desperation heave from Hailey Van Lith on the last play of the game. Auburn hit four of its 11 3-point attempts in the win.

"We knew Auburn would get in lanes and pressure you and make it hard to complete a pass," LSU coach Kim Mulkey said. "Energy and enthusiasm, [Auburn] just came at us. ... Their effort was better than our effort."

The defending champions hadn't lost a game since their season opener against Colorado. They were able to get the usual scoring production from Reese, but offensive struggles for the rest of the lineup made a difference in the loss.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Good write by ESPN

Auburn upsets No. 7 LSU, ends Tigers' 16-game win st

AUBURN, Ala. -- Honesty Scott-Grayson scored 21 points, and Auburn upset No. 7 LSU 67-62 on Sunday.

Defending national champion LSU entered the game with the nation's best scoring offense at 93.8 points and had won a nation's best 16 straight contests.

Auburn (12-5, 1-3 Southeastern Conference) forced 15 turnovers and held LSU (16-2, 3-1) to a season low in points in the home victory.

JaMya Mingo-Young stole the ball from LSU's Angel Reese with 10.4 seconds remaining in regulation to seal the victory. She hit both free throws to put Auburn up by two possessions.

"We guarded that play all week," Auburn coach Johnnie Harris said. "We knew, from the way [Reese] caught the ball, what she was going to do. We knew that she was going to drive it in that situation. ... Once she put it down, we knew she was going to score. She wasn't going to pass it."

Mingo-Young finished with 13 points and five assists for Auburn. Kaitlyn Duhon scored eight points, and Taylen Collins had six points and seven rebounds.

The win was Auburn's first over a top-10 opponent since beating No. 4 Tennessee at home on Jan. 27, 2022.

The announced attendance for the game was 7,720, which was the largest crowd for a women's game in the history of Auburn's Neville Arena.

"Honestly, I don't know if they were there for us, or if they were there just to see LSU," Scott-Grayson said. "But we knew we had to go out there and put on a show, either way. We weren't backing down from [LSU] just because of the name."

Reese led LSU with 24 points. She has now scored double-digit points in all 50 of her games at LSU. Reese joined Seimone Augustus as the only players in LSU history to score in double figures in 50 consecutive games.

Aneesah Morrow added 12 points and 15 rebounds, and Flau'jae Johnson scored 12 points.

Auburn led by eight points at the end of the first quarter, but LSU responded with a 10-0 run to open the second quarter. The two sides went back and forth the rest of the way, with the lead changing 17 times.

Scott-Grayson drove for a layup with 6:34 left to give Auburn a lead it wouldn't relinquish. LSU missed nine free throws, including four in the fourth quarter.

LSU attempted only two 3-pointers in the loss, with one of them being a desperation heave from Hailey Van Lith on the last play of the game. Auburn hit four of its 11 3-point attempts in the win.

"We knew Auburn would get in lanes and pressure you and make it hard to complete a pass," LSU coach Kim Mulkey said. "Energy and enthusiasm, [Auburn] just came at us. ... Their effort was better than our effort."

The defending champions hadn't lost a game since their season opener against Colorado. They were able to get the usual scoring production from Reese, but offensive struggles for the rest of the lineup made a difference in the loss.

It's hopefully at least some motivation for people to show up to the South Carolina game - an arguably better team.

Watching highlights, I noticed Bob Starkey on the LSU bench. Had forgotten about him. Makes the win even sweeter- he really rubbed me the wrong way in the year that he was here. Posted way more about LSU and Texas A & M on social media than he did Auburn. Completely mailed it in while he was here. Didn't want to be here, made it obvious, and half a--ed it. Hope he enjoyed the L today.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCAubs said:

17-16.  

Nix to Sanders. 

Auburn becomes the first team in SEC history to win four tournament games in four days as Auburn defeats Alabama in the SEC Tournament Championship Game 53–49 in overtime.

The Kick Six

Are we only talking women’s basketball?

The Kick Six was #4 Auburn and #1 Alabama.  Auburn winning wasn't a huge upset.  The manner in which we scored on the last play of the game made the game historic. The games you have mentioned involved two good teams.  Today's game was defending champion LSU playing an afterthought Auburn team.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It's hopefully at least some motivation for people to show up to the South Carolina game - an arguably better team.

Show up , looked sold out on tv

29 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Show up , looked sold out on tv

They threw out 7000+ as a number (forgot the exact amount), and I would say that was about correct anecdotally. To me, it was a winning moment for the WBB program when the 2nd level rarely had 3 consecutive seats available. And they got that with probably 20ish mins left before tipoff. 

Only thing is LSU is more of a spectacle than USC, and is honestly just more of a draw. Don't know who travels better between the two giants, but there was a BIG contingency of LSU fans. I also don't know if that aforementioned Tennessee win 2 years ago led to a substantially higher turnout afterwards - would love to be corrected if it did.

Tl;dr not a guarantee we get the crowd we deserve for that game, but I am much much more hopeful than I was yesterday. Very proud day

• Like 3