Post SC Presser? new stuff

Edited by aubiefifty

1 hour ago, LPTiger said:

@aubiefifty, you working OT today brother!!!!

just keeping my mind off my worries. i do however try to give something back to auburn fans and since i am a man of meager means this is how i do it.and if folks come here to read the news or what i can find it keeps the board busy they like to not have to search stuff out. thanks for noticing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

just keeping my mind off my worries. i do however try to give something back to auburn fans and since i am a man of meager means this is how i do it.and if folks come here to read the news or what i can find it keeps the board busy they like to not have to search stuff out. thanks for noticing.

Alot of us appreciate you taking time everyday to do this Fifty. I hope that everything is going good for you and your health is doing ok. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TeamZero77 said:

Alot of us appreciate you taking time everyday to do this Fifty. I hope that everything is going good for you and your health is doing ok. 

i know you guys do and i appreciate it very much. i am fine about my health i am just a worrier until i get past it or whatever.i am sure some people do not get it. it is just a love of auburn and her people. i had a ball last night in fact. thank you for your kindness big shooter.

He discusses Auburn Basketball first....

al.com

Meet the ‘Splash Bros’: How Auburn’s frontcourt earned a new nickname vs. South Carolina

Published: Feb. 15, 2024, 6:19 a.m.

4–5 minutes

AUBURN, AL - FEBRUARY 14 - Auburn's Johni Broome (4) during the game between the #13 Auburn Tigers and the #11 South Carolina Gamecocks at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2024. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn TigersZach Bland/Auburn Tigers

It didn’t take Johni Broome and Jaylin Williams long to come up with it.

“You want me to tell them our nickname?,” Broome asked Williams during their postgame press conference Wednesday night.

Instead, the tandem agreed they’d both reveal their nickname on the count of three.

“One... two... three... Splash Bros,” they both said, causing Auburn’s media room to erupt with laughter.

While the tandem’s nickname wasn’t the most original considering it’s already been claimed by Golden State Warriors’ guards Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, it certainly fit Broome and Williams’ performances on Wednesday night as they led No. 13 Auburn to a lopsided 101-61 win over No. 11 South Carolina from Auburn’s Neville Arena.

Together, Broome and Williams, who make up Auburn’s starting frontcourt, combined for 44 points against South Carolina.

And while it would generally be safe to assume the Tigers’ pair of big men scored a majority of those points in the paint, such wasn’t the case Wednesday night.

Against the Gamecocks, Broome and Williams combined for nine 3-pointers after a 5-for-7 3-point shooting effort from Williams and a 4-for-5 3-point shooting effort from Broome, which was the first time in his career he hit four 3-pointers in one game.

“They were kinda giving us a little bit of space. It was that point where you shoot it or pass it,” Broome said of he and Williams’ success from behind the arc against the Gamecocks. “It’s kinda awkward: You’re open, but you’re not really open. But once you see the first one go in, you get that confidence, and you get your coaches and teammates’ confidence going. It was just going to the hot hand and just making plays to help win the game.”

Against South Carolina, the hot hands of Broome and Williams definitely played a major role in helping Auburn pick apart the Gamecocks, who entered the night sitting atop the SEC standings.

Also scoring from beyond the arc for the Tigers was KD Johnson and Chaney Johnson, who added three makes from deep to bring Auburn’s tally to 12 made 3-pointers.

Meanwhile, South Carolina went just 3-for-15 from beyond the 3-point line.

“They were really good and we weren’t that good. That’s what happens when you have that combination,” South Carolina head coach Lamont Paris said. “They played really well. They generated some good shots — sometimes on their own, sometimes on some errors that we made. But they went in. Those shots went in.”

The Tigers hit 61% of the time from the 3-pont line on Wednesday night and 60% of the time from the field — two efficient marks that made for season-highs.

“When you’ve got nine 3-balls from your starting front court, it kinda makes everything you might try to do offensively work, right?,” Pearl said. “That makes you hard to guard. It makes you hard to guard because what do you do? If you don’t switch, we’re going to get those shots. And if you do switch, we’re going to have mismatches on the inside. It’s not rocket science.”

The shooting efficiency of Auburn’s frontcourt played a major role in what Pearl painted to be a must-win for the Tigers earlier this week, should they want to compete for the SEC regular season title.

And while Auburn secured that win in lopsided fashion Wednesday night, there was a small drawback.

“There are picks and rolls and there are picks and pops. And now after Johni popped a few, I’m never going to get him to roll (inside to the basket),” Pearl joked.

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

The 3 key stats from No. 13 Auburn’s 40-point win over No. 11 South Carolina

Published: Feb. 15, 2024, 7:43 a.m.

4–5 minutes

AUBURN, AL - FEBRUARY 14 - Auburn’s Chaney Johnson (31) and Auburn’s Chad Baker-Mazara (10) during the game between the #13 Auburn Tigers and the #11 South Carolina Gamecocks at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2024. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn TigersZach Bland/Auburn Tigers

In a game Auburn had to have in its hope to win the SEC, No. 13 Auburn drubbed No. 11 South Carolina 101-61 on Wednesday night at Neville Arena.

In a season where Auburn (20-5, 9-3) has been so dominant — the Tigers have the seventh-best scoring margin in America winning by an average of 16.2 points per game — this may have been head coach Bruce Pearl’s team’s most convincing performance. And it came against the first-place team in the SEC.

It allowed Auburn to keep pace in the SEC standings, one game behind Alabama which now sits alone in first place because of Auburn’s win over South Carolina.

Below are some of the key stats that made up Auburn’s blowout win.

Bench points

Auburn has one of the deepest rosters in America. It bench scores an average of 35.76 points per game — the fourth most of any group in the country.

Auburn’s bench scored 39 points against South Carolina. South Carolina’s bench scored one.

Auburn did not allow a single made field goal to anyone on South Carolina’s bench.

South Carolina’s bench normally averages around 20 points per game.

Nor did any of Auburn’s bench points come from any one player. Chad Baker-Mazara had 10 points, K.D. Johnson had nine, Dylan Cardwell had eight and Chaney Johnson had six. Aden Holloway, Lior Berman and Jalen Harper each had two points off the bench.

“We had a couple guys that were quieter tonight,” Pearl said. “That’s fine. That’s why our depth obviously matters.”

Assist-to-turnover ratio

Auburn had 15 more assists (22) than it had turnovers (7). South Carolina had eight more turnovers (13) than it had assists (5).

That’s a huge difference, and is in many ways emblematic of how Auburn has played this season. Auburn is top 10 nationally so far in assist-to-turnover ratio.

Neither of Auburn’s two point guards — Tre Donaldson and Holloway — had a turnover.

Not only did Auburn take care of the ball, it also took advantage of its opportunities off turnovers. Auburn had 25 points off the 13 South Carolina turnovers. South Carolina had eight points off the seven Auburn turnovers.

3-point shooting

First, Auburn’s best 3-point shooters Wednesday were, well, it’s big men — who are apparently referring to themselves as the “Splash Bros” now.

Broome and Williams combined to shoot 9-12 from deep. Williams has been a better 3-point shooter throughout this season, while Broome has been working to add that to his game.

And maybe — well, definitely — Auburn isn’t going to get nine makes on 3-point shots from its front court every night, but the threat Auburn’s big men can hit those shots changes how defenses can play Auburn.

“That makes you hard to guard,” Pearl said. “It makes you hard to guard because what do you do? If you don’t switch, we’re going to get those shots. And if you do switch, we’re going to have mismatches on the inside. It’s not rocket science.”

K.D. Johnson was the only Auburn guard to make a 3-pointer in the win. Donaldson didn’t even attempt one. Auburn didn’t need its guards to produce much shooting when the big men had the hot hand. But it goes to show that it’s a night that could have been even better.

For the whole game, Auburn made 12 3s and South Carolina made 3. That’s a 27-point difference just purely on 3-point shooting. It’s another huge margin in a blowout win.

Auburn’s shooting as a whole was just much better than South Carolina’s. It must be to create a 40-point margin.

Auburn shot a blistering 61% from the field while holding South Carolina to 35%.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

If you purchase a product or register for an account through a link on our site, we may receive compensation. By using this site, you consent to our User Agreement and agree that your clicks, interactions, and personal information may be collected, recorded, and/or stored by us and social media and other third-party partners in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

al.com

3 takeaways from No. 13 Auburn’s 101-61 rout of first place, No. 11 South Carolina

Updated: Feb. 14, 2024, 9:49 p.m.|Published: Feb. 14, 2024, 9:35 p.m.
5–6 minutes

Auburn, AL - 20240214 - #13 Auburn Tigers Men's Basketball vs. #11 South Carolina Gamecocks

AUBURN, AL - FEBRUARY 14 - Auburn's Jaylin Williams (2) during the game between the #13 Auburn Tigers and the #11 South Carolina Gamecocks at Neville Arena in Auburn, AL on Wednesday, Feb. 14, 2024. Photo by Zach Bland/Auburn TigersZach Bland/Auburn Tigers

In maybe the most important game to-date at Neville Arena — and probably the most important game Auburn has played against South Carolina — with regard to No. 13 Auburn’s SEC title chase, head coach Bruce Pearl’s team annihilated No. 11 South Carolina 101-61.

The goal in this one was simple: Auburn (20-5, 9-3 SEC) win to keep pace in the SEC standings. Lose to South Carolina, which was tied for first in the SEC? Auburn would fall two games back with six to play. That would be a very difficult margin to make up.

Instead, Auburn blew past another team on its home court. Auburn scored more points than anyone has against South Carolina this year. And it hit that milestone with about six minutes still to play.

Here are three takeaways.

It’s really, really tough to beat Auburn in Neville Arena

Auburn is a perfect 13-0 in this building in the 2023-24 season, each win decided by double-digits.

What Auburn has done consistently at Neville Arena is go on a run in the first half to pull away from its opponent and build out to a lead at halftime, while cruising through the second half.

South Carolina got out to a five-point lead over Auburn in the first three minutes of the game. Auburn went on to outscore South Carolina 43-19 for the rest of the first half.

Auburn has gone on dominant first half stretches like this against both the best and worst teams it has played in this building. Only Texas A&M — which matches up well against Auburn due to its elite rebounding — has been able to give Auburn a competitive game here.

Auburn’s home court mastery has seen them has beat Virginia Tech by 17, Texas A&M by 11, Ole Miss by 23, Alabama by 18 and now South Carolina by 40.

Winning on the road anywhere is tough, but it’s been near impossible for visiting teams in Neville Arena this season. Auburn has only lost twice in this building over the last three seasons.

In a crucial game, Auburn keeps pace in the SEC standings

Auburn has never been further than a game out of first place in the SEC this season. Auburn’s two straight January losses to Alabama and Mississippi State moved Auburn from first place to a game behind Alabama and South Carolina. When Auburn beat Alabama last week, it jumped back into a tie for first place. It fell right back to a game behind when it beat Florida.

One of the two teams ahead of Auburn in the standings was South Carolina. This being the only matchup between the two this season, that made this a must-win game.

Alabama is now alone at the top of the SEC standings, a game ahead of Auburn, South Carolina and Tennessee.

All Auburn could do to keep pace in the standings was win. Mission accomplished. Now the attention turns to the second challenge of two ranked matchups this week: Kentucky visiting Neville Arena.

Johni Broome and Jaylin Williams are the best frontcourt duo in the SEC

Williams has now had eight 20-point performances this season. He’s scoring more than 13 points per game this season, by far the numbers of his career.

He’s improved his rebounding numbers and his free throw percentage from last season. He’s having easily the best 3-point shooting season of his career.

He’s transformed into a star for Auburn and its best option after Johni Broome. On several nights season, Williams has been Auburn’s best option, period. End of sentence.

On this night, it was both Williams and Broome.

Williams had a dominant first half against South Carolina scoring 16 points and going 4-5 on 3-pointers. He finished the game with 23 points making five-out-of-seven 3-pointers.

That was coupled with Broome going a career-best 4-5 on 3-pointers on a stellar shooting night from Auburn’s starting big men — combining to go 9-12 from deep. K.D. Johnson was the only Auburn guard to make a 3.

Broome has now made a 3-pointer in eight straight games. For an Auburn team that wants to play five-out offense, a proven ability to space the floor with its big men goes a long way.

Matt Cohen covers Auburn sports for AL.com. You can follow him on X at @Matt_Cohen_ or email him at mcohen@al.com

al.com

Bo Jackson joins Auburn's student section for big SEC matchup vs. No. 11 South Carolina

Updated: Feb. 14, 2024, 8:51 p.m.|Published: Feb. 14, 2024, 8:38 p.m.

~2 minutes

Auburn Football

Auburn legend Bo Jackson joins Hugh Freeze in The Jungle for Auburn’s game vs. South Carolina

Former Auburn running back, and 1985 Heisman Trophy winner Bo Jackson returned to his alma mater Wednesday night as the 13th-ranked Auburn’s men’s basketball team hosted the 11th-ranked South Carolina Gamecocks in a key SEC matchup.

Auburn basketball coach Bruce Pearl didn’t mince words ahead of Wednesday’s date with South Carolina.

“If we want to win the (SEC) championship, we have to beat South Carolina tomorrow,” Pearl said Tuesday. “Pretty simple.”

Fortunately for Auburn, the Tigers were playing the game at Neville Arena, where they entered the night 12-0 on the season.

And against South Carolina, Jackson decided he wanted to be part of the Neville Arena magic and joined Auburn’s student section, affectionately known as The Jungle, for the first half of Wednesday night’s game.

Auburn head football coach Hugh Freeze was also site for Wednesday night’s game and joined Jackson in The Jungle for much of the opening half. Together, while cheering for the Tigers, Freeze and Jackson took countless selfies with fans as Auburn sprinted out to a 50-28 halftime lead over South Carolina.

Folks i do not know about you guys but i am still grinning from the big win last night...............

33 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Folks i do not know about you guys but i am still grinning from the big win last night...............

I am too.  The crowd was exceptional too.  I laughed out loud when the crowd was yelling in unison "AIR BALL" as that bad attitude USC guard missed his free throws and the place erupted with noise like thunder.😄

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BizEagle said:

I am too.  The crowd was exceptional too.  I laughed out loud when the crowd was yelling in unison "AIR BALL" as that bad attitude USC guard missed his free throws and the place erupted with noise like thunder.😄

i might have to watch the whole thing again today. we are getting so much love in the press now! this is the best valentines i have had since i divorced my third wife.......grins

good lord look at bo's chain..........