As if refusing to secure the border wasn’t bad enough…..

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Homer still believes the Russia Hoax even after so much evidence to the contrary.  

Well, and again, this is what populism has done to the country.  On both sides.

Populism depends upon an absolute commitment to victimhood.  Perpetual victimhood demands a Boogie Man.

For white people on the left, that Boogie Man is Donald Trump and MAGA.  For black people on the left, it's white people and institutional racism.

For white people on the right, it's the "Deep State," "Uniparty," "Qanon Illuminati," etc.  For black people on the right I don't know who it is.  There are so few black people on the right I don't know who their populists have anointed as the Devil.

But whoever the Boogie Man is, adherents of whatever particular flavor of populist we're discussing will believe any conspiracy theory about them.  No matter how outlandish, illogical, or dumb, no matter how much evidence there is against it.  Doesn't matter.  It's why black people after Hurricane Katrina were claiming that Bush caused the hurricane to kill black people.  I frequent TigerDroppings and the populists over there were posting that the Deep State caused the weather to be bad during the Iowa caucus (until Trump won, that is, then they stopped claiming that).  Populists on both sides at different times have claimed that the government can control the weather.

Case in point, I posted two pieces of evidence to contradict this populist's claim and one of them was his own damn link.  

And the larger point, which is why I replied in the first place, is that this guy is oblivious to the fact that he's JUST LIKE the people he's so smugly and condescendingly criticizing.  He happens to be on the opposite side of the table, but he's JUST LIKE THEM.  He's just as willing to believe in and defend absolute nonsense to maintain his populist victimhood status by standing firm in whatever conspiracy theory accomplishes that goal.

Edited by Shoney'sPonyBoy
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shoney'sPonyBoy said:

Well, and again, this is what populism has done to the country.  On both sides.

Populism depends upon an absolute commitment to victimhood.  Perpetual victimhood demands a Boogie Man.

For white people on the left, that Boogie Man is Donald Trump and MAGA.  For black people on the left, it's white people and institutional racism.

For white people on the right, it's the "Deep State," "Uniparty," "Qanon Illuminati," etc.  For black people on the right I don't know who it is.  There are so few black people on the right I don't know who their populists have anointed as the Devil.

But whoever the Boogie Man is, adherents of whatever particular flavor of populist we're discussing will believe any conspiracy theory about them.  No matter how outlandish, illogical, or dumb, no matter how much evidence there is against it.  Doesn't matter.  It's why black people after Hurricane Katrina were claiming that Bush caused the hurricane to kill black people.  I frequent TigerDroppings and the populists over there were posting that the Deep State caused the weather to be bad during the Iowa caucus (until Trump won, that is, then they stopped claiming that).  Populists on both sides at different times have claimed that the government can control the weather.

Case in point, I posted two pieces of evidence to contradict this populist's claim and one of them was his own damn link.  

And the larger point, which is why I replied in the first place, is that this guy is oblivious to the fact that he's JUST LIKE the people he's so smugly and condescendingly criticizing.  He happens to be on the opposite side of the table, but he's JUST LIKE THEM.  He's just as willing to believe in and defend absolute nonsense to maintain his populist victimhood status by standing firm in whatever conspiracy theory accomplishes that goal.

There is truth in this.  However, intelligent people have to call out nonsense when they see it.  You cannot have an intelligent conversation with someone that is entrenched in falsehoods and fairy tales.  I have never heard someone claim that Bush caused Katrina, but I don't doubt that they are out there.  My anger at Bush at the time was based on him having a horse trainer "running" FEMA and it taking a week to get substantial aid into the city.  That is another topic for another time.  LOL My respect for George W has grown immensely compared to the current GOP leadership.

Too often in recent years, people have sat quietly and allowed lies and conspiracy to be part of the accepted narrative.