Women vs Arky - SECT 2nd Round

Auburn shooting well and playing well, leading 33-27 at the half. An unfortunate last 20 seconds of the 2nd quarter saw Sydney Shaw barely miss an open 3 that would have given AU a 12-pt lead, only to see Arky gather the rebound, dribble around aimlessly, and turn around and heave a super-long 3 at the buzzer to close the score gap from 9 to 6. They’re playing well; went on a very nice scoring run in the 2nd quarter. If we can defend the 3-line better, we should be in good shape. Arky can’t buy a shot down low.

• Like 3

Arkansas has a short bench today and has a post player with 4 fouls. We need to close this the right way. War Eagle!

AU up 61-43 halfway through the 4th. Anemic Arky team missing two of their top offensive players tonight. We are fortunate that they’re not full strength AND that they just have had no touch on layups. They’ve gotten to the basket and just bricked at least two dozen point blank shots. We owe Arky a pantyspank and here it is.

AU wins 67-48. Kinda sleep-walked through that 4th quarter, hopefully to our benefit when we face LSU tomorrow. War Eagle, ladies. Did what they had to do to put away a lame-horse Arky squad.

• Like 1

This pretty much makes us a lock for the NCAA Tournament, if the last game wasn't enough to do so. Way to go! Year 3 we're finally starting to see results. Don't expect too much from the LSU game but I'm really looking forward to see how they do in the Big Dance!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, AUDynasty said:

This pretty much makes us a lock for the NCAA Tournament, if the last game wasn't enough to do so. Way to go! Year 3 we're finally starting to see results. Don't expect too much from the LSU game but I'm really looking forward to see how they do in the Big Dance!

Yep, today's win should remove all doubt. I think it would have been a pretty scary selection show if we had lost. Now hoping some other bubble teams lose today and get finished off.

Mississippi State lost today and Green Bay lost recently. Hopefully, we'll get seeded for the round of 64 and not the play-in game.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, all4AU said:

Mississippi State lost today and Green Bay lost recently. Hopefully, we'll get seeded for the round of 64 and not the play-in game.

Vandy is also projected currently as a "last 4 in", and they currently trail Florida 32-22 at the half. It would give us even more help if Florida pulls that one out. I'm also pulling for South Carolina to take care of business vs A & M tomorrow.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

In all honesty, if AU had lost to this short-handed Arky team, they would have had no business taking a spot in the tourney. Would’ve probably gotten in anyway, but this Arkansas team was playing a whole lot of B-teamers in A-teamer spots. That being said, Grayson-Scott had an off-night with her shot, so I am hopeful that her customary “I’m going off because me no likey Kim Mulkey” game will show up tomorrow.

Edited by tigeraddikt
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

In all honesty, if AU had lost to this short-handed Arky team, they would have had no business taking a spot in the tourney. Would’ve probably gotten in anyway, but this Arkansas team was playing a whole lot of B-teamers in A-teamer spots. That being said, Grayson-Scott had an off-night with her shot, so I am hopeful that her customary “I’m going off because me no likey Kim Mulkey” game will show up tomorrow.

Coach Harris benched her for much of the game. Anybody know what that was about?

They were playing a box & one defense when Scott-Grayson was on the floor, which opened a lot of opportunities for some other players to score.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mikey said:

Coach Harris benched her for much of the game. Anybody know what that was about?

They were playing a box & one defense when Scott-Grayson was on the floor, which opened a lot of opportunities for some other players to score.

I didn’t notice her being purposely benched, but if true, I would speculate that either A. CJH was not convinced that HGS was giving max effort (unlikely) or B. CJH was saving HGS for LSU (likely).

Edited by tigeraddikt

At least according to the box she played 29 minutes which was second most on team. It seems to me like CJH was trying to manage everyone's minutes knowing Arky was shorthanded and we had a game the next day.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Honesty played 29 minutes as did Shaw.  Only Jamaya played more at 31. Because of their defense Honesty wasn't having the best day and the rest of the team was scoring so resting her legs wasn't such a bad decision.  As a team we shot 46.8% - pretty good outing. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, warladytigers said:

Honesty played 29 minutes as did Shaw.  Only Jamaya played more at 31. Because of their defense Honesty wasn't having the best day and the rest of the team was scoring so resting her legs wasn't such a bad decision.  As a team we shot 46.8% - pretty good outing. 

Seemed like she was out longer than that to me, but these things can fool me.

LSU put a whooping on us.

78-48.

Moving on!!