Tigers open SEC play this week

247sports.com

Auburn Baseball Notebook Tigers open SEC play this week

Jason Caldwell

3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—The pre-conference schedule is done for Butch Thompson and the Auburn Tigers as they prepare for a busy week on the road featuring a game against Troy in Huntsville on Tuesday night before the opening of SEC play this coming weekend at No. 8 Vanderbilt.

Coming off a challenging weekend against a solid Austin Peay club that saw the Tigers respond from a disastrous Saturday loss and play great in a blowout win on Sunday, Thompson said he’s excited for the next step for his team beginning this week.

“You keep your head down and you just fight,” Thompson said. “We’ve got a huge long 10 weeks of SEC play, which I’m honored to be able to go through a 23rd time in a row. It’s so exciting but don’t forget this is for keeps and this is real and you keep practicing that skill over and over. You keep your head down. You’re not allowed to be sad until the season is over and then you look up where it’s at at the finish. And you just keep doing it. 

“Those are the lessons we’re trying to teach these guys because life’s going to hit them right in the mouth. And then sometimes you can sit back and see what your leadership and what amazing guys can do that are connected. I feel like our group is connected and we’re going to absolutely experience challenges because we do have so many areas to keep improving, which I’ve outlined. When the days don’t go our way, that’s going to be exposed more than others. We just need to be interested.”

Overall: 12-3
Last Week: 3-1
SEC: 0-0
Non-Conference: 12-3
Streak: W1

Last Week's Results:
Wednesday – vs. Air Force: W, 8-4
Friday – vs. Austin Peay: W, 7-6
Saturday – vs. Austin Peay: L, 5-16
Sunday – vs. Austin Peay: W, 24-5 (7)

This Week's Schedule:
Tuesday – vs. Troy in Madison, Ala. (6 p.m.)
Friday – at No. 8 Vanderbilt (6 p.m)
Saturday – at No. 8 Vanderbilt (2 p.m.)
Sunday – at No. 8 Vanderbilt (1 p.m.)

Player of the week:

Shortstop Cooper Weiss continues his strong play for the Tigers after having another big week at the plate. In four games, the Miami-Ohio transfer was 9-16 with two home runs, two doubles, two stolen bases and eight runs batted in. Cooper McMurray was 8-15 for the week with a home run, four doubles and seven runs batted in to push Weiss for the honor. Also having a big week was Jacksonville State transfer Mason Maners. He was 6-10 with hits in all four games. He had a home run, a triple, a double and scored eight runs.

Pitcher of the week: 

Parker Carlson only threw 2.1 innings, but the sophomore RHP from Mobile didn’t allow a hit in two appearances and could earn a more significant role as the season continues to move forward. Reliever Tanner Bauman was 1-0 in two appearances, allowing no hits in 1.2 innings pitched for the week.

Why is AU baseball not on ESPN+ much anymore?  It seems they are not on it nearly as much as last season or other SEC schools this season. If we are playing, should be on ESPN+ in my opinion. ESPN is flooded with women’s college basketball which I don’t care much about. Weird. 

On 3/11/2024 at 2:27 PM, aubiefifty said:

247sports.com

Auburn Baseball Notebook Tigers open SEC play this week

Jason Caldwell

3–4 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama—The pre-conference schedule is done for Butch Thompson and the Auburn Tigers as they prepare for a busy week on the road featuring a game against Troy in Huntsville on Tuesday night before the opening of SEC play this coming weekend at No. 8 Vanderbilt.

Coming off a challenging weekend against a solid Austin Peay club that saw the Tigers respond from a disastrous Saturday loss and play great in a blowout win on Sunday, Thompson said he’s excited for the next step for his team beginning this week.

“You keep your head down and you just fight,” Thompson said. “We’ve got a huge long 10 weeks of SEC play, which I’m honored to be able to go through a 23rd time in a row. It’s so exciting but don’t forget this is for keeps and this is real and you keep practicing that skill over and over. You keep your head down. You’re not allowed to be sad until the season is over and then you look up where it’s at at the finish. And you just keep doing it. 

“Those are the lessons we’re trying to teach these guys because life’s going to hit them right in the mouth. And then sometimes you can sit back and see what your leadership and what amazing guys can do that are connected. I feel like our group is connected and we’re going to absolutely experience challenges because we do have so many areas to keep improving, which I’ve outlined. When the days don’t go our way, that’s going to be exposed more than others. We just need to be interested.”

Overall: 12-3
Last Week: 3-1
SEC: 0-0
Non-Conference: 12-3
Streak: W1

Last Week's Results:
Wednesday – vs. Air Force: W, 8-4
Friday – vs. Austin Peay: W, 7-6
Saturday – vs. Austin Peay: L, 5-16
Sunday – vs. Austin Peay: W, 24-5 (7)

This Week's Schedule:
Tuesday – vs. Troy in Madison, Ala. (6 p.m.)
Friday – at No. 8 Vanderbilt (6 p.m)
Saturday – at No. 8 Vanderbilt (2 p.m.)
Sunday – at No. 8 Vanderbilt (1 p.m.)

Player of the week:

Shortstop Cooper Weiss continues his strong play for the Tigers after having another big week at the plate. In four games, the Miami-Ohio transfer was 9-16 with two home runs, two doubles, two stolen bases and eight runs batted in. Cooper McMurray was 8-15 for the week with a home run, four doubles and seven runs batted in to push Weiss for the honor. Also having a big week was Jacksonville State transfer Mason Maners. He was 6-10 with hits in all four games. He had a home run, a triple, a double and scored eight runs.

Pitcher of the week: 

Parker Carlson only threw 2.1 innings, but the sophomore RHP from Mobile didn’t allow a hit in two appearances and could earn a more significant role as the season continues to move forward. Reliever Tanner Bauman was 1-0 in two appearances, allowing no hits in 1.2 innings pitched for the week.

I am going to the SEC Basketball Tournament in Nash-Vegas so I hope we can make a baseball game, too, while there.

• Love 1

Just now, PUB78 said:

I am going to the SEC Basketball Tournament in Nash-Vegas so I hope we can make a baseball game, too, while there.

have fun and bring us luck bro!

• Like 1