2024 Portal

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wow, thought he would go back to Samford. Kansas State must have his major or very high admittance rates.

Just saw KState has a 95% acceptance rates. This makes complete sense now.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 1

I am assuming we will know something by the latest at the end of the weekend. Summer classes are starting soon and portal players need to be enrolled on top of starting practices. Auburn is due for some good basketball news.

52 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I am assuming we will know something by the latest at the end of the weekend. Summer classes are starting soon and portal players need to be enrolled on top of starting practices. Auburn is due for some good basketball news.

There's really not many top recruits left in the portal that could be starters. I am shock that Alabama took basketball more serious than Auburn. Auburn went to the Final Four before their rival and you would of thought the resources would have been more than what they are currently. Next season might be Pearl's best chance to get back with 7 seniors. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

He’s not struggling he gets who he wants when he stays within his nil budget. Broome coming back. Pettiford and pegues most likely cost almost all our nil budget. We don’t have the deep nil pockets for bball like our direct competition atop the sec.

And while this will never be advertised to the fans, I think it should pretty much be understood at this point (at least amongst us who are on message boards and stuff). We aren’t going to be rolling in dough in both football and basketball. Just not going to happen. Which is fine for me personally, my expectations match with what we have on the roster

I do understand some people would like Pearl to be rewarded with finally getting one of those super team rosters…probably not going to happen even with increased Nike sales, a new TV deal for the SEC, etc. Esp not while the football program is trying to resurrect from the dead 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Btw I think Auburn has given Pearl about what it can in terms of NIL (while having all of the other successful programs it does). Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, these programs should and do have more NIL than Auburn for basketball. They always will really. We just gotta operate within our means and maximize them, which I feel like we have

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Btw I think Auburn has given Pearl about what it can in terms of NIL (while having all of the other successful programs it does). Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, these programs should and do have more NIL than Auburn for basketball. They always will really. We just gotta operate within our means and maximize them, which I feel like we have

Until a bball fan strikes it big and allocates all of their NIL donations towards the bball team. So I am counting on one of you to come through since things aren't quite panning out for me to be the one, lol! 

• Haha 5

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

And I am really hoping that Mitchell picks past SF/PF wing draft success over just NIL in making his decision. I get that it would be really hard to turn down more money right now. But he actually could have the talent to be a top draft pick and I hope he picks the best spot he thinks will get him to where he wants in the NBA.

Obviously, that's no guarantee at AU, but Okeke, Okoro, and even Jabari were all drafted higher than their rank coming out of high school, so at least there's a track record. Even Allen Flanigan had a bit of 2nd round draft buzz before that scooter accident. 

Edited by HAPvsOA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

There's really not many top recruits left in the portal that could be starters. I am shock that Alabama took basketball more serious than Auburn. Auburn went to the Final Four before their rival and you would have thought the resources would have been more than what they are currently. Next season might be Pearl's best chance to get back with 7 seniors. 

UAT didn’t care about basketball until we went to the Final Four. Don’t let anyone try to tell you otherwise. They always talk about Auburn being the “little brother” but they were so upset and hated that Auburn was way better than them in basketball so then they started buying players, and putting money into their program, and that’s where we are now.

As for not capitalizing after we went to the Final Four, that needs to be taken into context. The following year we won like 5 of our last 6 games or something like that and Okoro was really coming on at the end. We were going to be the 2nd seed in the SEC tournament as well. I think we were primed to make another deep run. Then the pandemic happened. Then the next year we were hit with the self-imposed penalties annd postseason ban along with not being able to recruit for a significant amount of time. Cooper only played about 10 games. Our freshmen didn’t get to go through regular practices and our team had no time to gel. So yea, after all of that, Pearl basically had to start from scratch again. 

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think that is the most frustrating thing if you are an avid basketball fan like many of us on this board. The boosters don’t really care about basketball and put everything into football, no matter the ROI. Whereas we could have one of the most dominant program in basketball if we had anywhere near the NIL and resources that those other teams you listed have. That’s why I tell people that what Pearl has done here is nothing short of a miracle. He is succeeding in spite of the lack of resources and the types of players we have had. 

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HAPvsOA said:

And I am really hoping that Mitchell picks past SF/PF wing draft success over just NIL in making his decision. I get that it would be really hard to turn down more money right now. But he actually could have the talent to be a top draft pick and I hope he picks the best spot he thinks will get him to where he wants in the NBA.

Obviously, that's no guarantee at AU, but Okeke, Okoro, and even Jabari were all drafted higher than their rank coming out of high school, so at least there's a track record. Even Allen Flanigan had a bit of 2nd round draft buzz before that scooter accident. 

I agree. That’s why I stated this would be the one that would sting the most and not make any sense. Pearl has a clear advantage over the other two coaches developing forwards. Auburn as a team has had much better success than those other two teams as well, even though Miami has made it to a final 4 and elite 8 in the past 4 years, but their overall seasons have been average. So yea, looking at this logically, I don’t know what else Auburn can do to persuade Mitchell to come here, he’s guaranteed a starting spot here just like those other teams. Unless he was lying about NIL not being a factor into his decision, Auburn is the clear and obvious choice if he wants to make it to the NBA.

Edited by AUSCalum87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tiger720 said:

There's really not many top recruits left in the portal that could be starters. I am shock that Alabama took basketball more serious than Auburn. Auburn went to the Final Four before their rival and you would of thought the resources would have been more than what they are currently. Next season might be Pearl's best chance to get back with 7 seniors. 

We have 9 players that AU believes can play. We were beat several times by teams that didn't play near that many. If our two freshmen and our PG come around, we should be good to go. I would love to have 2 starters at every position. Most teams don't. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I think that is the most frustrating thing if you are an avid basketball fan like many of us on this board. The boosters don’t really care about basketball and put everything into football, no matter the ROI. Whereas we could have one of the most dominant program in basketball if we had anywhere near the NIL and resources that those other teams you listed have. That’s why I tell people that what Pearl has done here is nothing short of a miracle. He is succeeding in spite of the lack of resources and the types of players we have had. 

Well to be fair to them, that's a balancing act all programs have to make. From the earlier list, I'm sure Alabama pours a ton into their football program too. Regardless of what I personally want, Auburn football is what brings in the profit for the uni as a whole, so it has to be first billing.

The "problem" is we only have so much money in terms of the combined pool. Something's gotta give. I don't think it's anything wrong in eventually coming to a point where we just learn to accept the general level of talent and the typical placement we're at in the conference either. We're having great seasons, we're contending for conference championships every other year, we're fine. If we were operating at this level of talent and just stunk, then I'd understand the frustration a bit more

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

We have 9 players that AU believes can play. We were beat several times by teams that didn't play near that many. If our two freshmen and our PG come around, we should be good to go. I would love to have 2 starters at every position. Most teams don't. 

I don't think this post is wrong, but I also think it's a bit loud that they have multiple pieces on the roster that you'd like some insurance on. Chaney could be an every game starter, but it'd be nice to have some insurance there. I simply don't think you can only have three guard bodies in the modern game. We also have 9 players, but 2 are brand new to the game and one is CMo who Pearl himself hasn't shown faith in being an every game player. 

When you got a roster like we did last year or appear to have this year where the overall talent level is inferior, I think you have to have power in numbers.

Edited by Dual-Threat Rigby
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well to be fair to them, that's a balancing act all programs have to make. From the earlier list, I'm sure Alabama pours a ton into their football program too. Regardless of what I personally want, Auburn football is what brings in the profit for the uni as a whole, so it has to be first billing.

The "problem" is we only have so much money in terms of the combined pool. Something's gotta give. I don't think it's anything wrong in eventually coming to a point where we just learn to accept the general level of talent and the typical placement we're at in the conference either. We're having great seasons, we're contending for conference championships every other year, we're fine. If we were operating at this level of talent and just stunk, then I'd understand the frustration a bit more

I understand what you mean, just frustrating to know we are on the cusp of being so much better in basketball but as you said, football will always be priority number one. I’m also biased towards basketball since I played it and been involved with it for over 25 years now. But yea, with the talent Pearl has had and the results we’ve had, he’s overachieving. The only criticism I have is the last two tournaments where we had the talent to make it to the Sweet 16. I’m hoping now since we have a legit PG now that it will help us in the NCAA tournament.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I understand what you mean, just frustrating to know we are on the cusp of being so much better in basketball but as you said, football will always be priority number one. I’m also biased towards basketball since I played it and been involved with it for over 25 years now. But yea, with the talent Pearl has had and the results we’ve had, he’s overachieving. The only criticism I have is the last two tournaments where we had the talent to make it to the Sweet 16. I’m hoping now since we have a legit PG now that it will help us in the NCAA tournament.

I definitely get it! But I do think that if we ended up having Pearl for 15 total years and ended with a string of tourney appearances, maybe a couple more trophies, and never having another long tourney run, I still think it would be considered a gigantic success of a tenure for Auburn. 

And who knows, maybe the conditions change and the money changes in Pearl's last few years. Or the money gets better for the next guy. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I definitely get it! But I do think that if we ended up having Pearl for 15 total years and ended with a string of tourney appearances, maybe a couple more trophies, and never having another long tourney run, I still think it would be considered a gigantic success of a tenure for Auburn. 

And who knows, maybe the conditions change and the money changes in Pearl's last few years. Or the money gets better for the next guy. 

Yea, I agree with you there! I think what is compounding the issue is that UAT didn’t really care about basketball until we started to be really successful and now they are getting any players they want while we are struggling to find quality backups. I know it has to frustrate Pearl. But I also know that we probably only have 3-4 more years with him so we better enjoy while we can. I think the next hire will be very underwhelming because it’s Auburn, 🤣 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

Yea, I agree with you there! I think what is compounding the issue is that UAT didn’t really care about basketball until we started to be really successful and now they are getting any players they want while we are struggling to find quality backups. I know it has to frustrate Pearl. But I also know that we probably only have 3-4 more years with him so we better enjoy while we can. I think the next hire will be very underwhelming because it’s Auburn, 🤣 

Derailing the thread at this point (it's not like there's much positive transfer news coming in for us), but I'd love to give a look at a coach from a mid major or from a high major program that's also working with financial constraints. That to me would be one of the 2 biggest strengths a successor could have, and it's largely what has made CBP the guy he's been here. I'd be a bit scared to drop a big bag on a successful coach from a larger school who then has to try to change his whole approach to make it work here.

Someone like Todd Golden when he was at San Fran or Matt McMahon at Murray St makes sense to me. I think he's a NE guy through and through but Shaheen Holloway could be about ready to jump a level by the time Pearl is finished. Plenty of fish out there in the sea

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AUSCalum87 said:

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Derailing the thread at this point (it's not like there's much positive transfer news coming in for us), but I'd love to give a look at a coach from a mid major or from a high major program that's also working with financial constraints. That to me would be one of the 2 biggest strengths a successor could have, and it's largely what has made CBP the guy he's been here. I'd be a bit scared to drop a big bag on a successful coach from a larger school who then has to try to change his whole approach to make it work here.

Someone like Todd Golden when he was at San Fran or Matt McMahon at Murray St makes sense to me. I think he's a NE guy through and through but Shaheen Holloway could be about ready to jump a level by the time Pearl is finished. Plenty of fish out there in the sea

The next head bball coach at AU will be Steven Pearl. Folks just need to understand this and accept it. It’s going to be a Pearl dynasty at AU. Or at least attempt to be one. I’m perfectly fine with it. The 2 biggest blue bloods just promoted in the last few years from  within a guy who had no head coaching experience. Who are we to turn our nose up at that? Steven already has more assistant coaching experience as scheyer did when he took over and maybe even Hubert Davis as well. Steven Pearl is a lottery ticket and I see it as low risk high reward. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

52 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The next head bball coach at AU will be Steven Pearl. Folks just need to understand this and accept it. It’s going to be a Pearl dynasty at AU. Or at least attempt to be one. I’m perfectly fine with it. The 2 biggest blue bloods just promoted in the last few years from  within a guy who had no head coaching experience. Who are we to turn our nose up at that? Steven already has more assistant coaching experience as scheyer did when he took over and maybe even Hubert Davis as well. Steven Pearl is a lottery ticket and I see it as low risk high reward. 

Duke has the Alabama problem after Bear. They could have went out and got nearly anyone they wanted and they picked Scheyer cause they have to stay in the Coach K tree, and every friend I have thats a duke fan was screaming no. I dont think we should emulate that and add our own pinch of nepotism to go along with it. Have some self respect, Auburn.

• Facepalm 1

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

CBP isn’t Coach k and Auburn isn’t Duke or UNC.  When the time comes, AU should get the best coach they can get.   

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I mean you are probably right but I would be really disappointed in that decision. Its been proven that you can win at Auburn now in basketball so I see no reason why we can't attract coaches with actual coaching experience. If SP wants to be a head basketball coach and believes he can handle the job he should be out there right now proving it. Go prove you can put together a roster, a coaching staff, and get everyone pulling in the same direction. I'll agree with your lottery analogy. But more in the sense that there would be a very small chance of him succeeding as head coach at AU.    

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Yes, I’m right there with you on the high mid major or lower power 5 conference coaches. I always liked Todd Golden and believe he would have been a great pickup if Pearl wasn’t here. What do you think of Bucky Ball from Samford? I think we could easily get him and I love his style of play.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I mean you are probably right but I would be really disappointed in that decision. Its been proven that you can win at Auburn now in basketball so I see no reason why we can't attract coaches with actual coaching experience. If SP wants to be a head basketball coach and believes he can handle the job he should be out there right now proving it. Go prove you can put together a roster, a coaching staff, and get everyone pulling in the same direction. I'll agree with your lottery analogy. But more in the sense that there would be a very small chance of him succeeding as head coach at AU.    

I disagree. Bruce Pearl has shown he can win big at Auburn. Bruce Pearl has shown he can sustain success at AU. We have a great coach. Not a great program. Not yet.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Duke has the Alabama problem after Bear. They could have went out and got nearly anyone they wanted and they picked Scheyer cause they have to stay in the Coach K tree, and every friend I have thats a duke fan was screaming no. I dont think we should emulate that and add our own pinch of nepotism to go along with it. Have some self respect, Auburn.

You mean how Kentucky just hires like their 7th choice. A guy who has never won a ncaa tourney game or conference title. Gah have some self respect blue blood kentucky!! 😂😂

• Like 1