2024 Portal

21 minutes ago, AUSCalum87 said:

You’re not the only one who feels that way about the Auburn football coach, I cannot even say his name because of how disgusted I am in his actions and his fake persona. But not going to start anything about that.

Anyways, this is a hard pass for me. It is way too recent when he has done all of these things. He might be a great player, but at some point you have to draw the line on character issues, just like the Ole Miss coach. If it was something like what Cam did at UF, I wouldn’t think twice about it. But, the physical abuse he committed to that girl, sorry, it would be too difficult for me to root for. It’s also very telling the whole staff let with him on zoom. I don’t know what to think. I’m hoping we get Jordan Ivy-Curry and Achor Achor and call it a day. What’s your opinion? 

My post got lost accidentally refreshing so simply put, I agree. Don’t know anything about Ivey-Curry but he profiles more as a guy willing to just be a backup and complementary. Who knows how Dior profiles for a real team, but superstar talent that got whatever looks he wanted for a juco? That has a higher chance of leading to some discontent, personality wise. I’d just want someone safer and less domestic abuse-y

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What research? You can do the same research about the case right now with Google as they could 

I was saying research as in reviewed court documents, spoke with his current JC coach, asked him tough questions to see where his head is and maturity level. Get his view on life after his legal issues. I'm talking about things Google doesn't offer.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tiger720 said:

Yes, but do you hold that over his head forever? How do you know he haven't apologized for his actions and was accountable. We don't know if he showed remorse and regret. He could have been dealing with anger issues or mental illness. He may need some tough love and for someone to show that they care. He was 17 at the time. We all need people to show us grace.

I agree that people can change and no it does not have to define you as a person. However, there’s also a fine line on what type of actions people do. Hey, if he has changed since then, that’s great. However, he still doesn’t deserve to be playing for a program like Auburn, just like how I felt with the Auburn football coach. For me personally, I just cannot root for someone who has that type of past, a really recent past. There are other guards in the portal that have wayyyy less baggage than he does. What I have issue with is that many Auburn fans criticize other teams who take players and coaches with character issues but then justify and praise Auburn when we do the exact same thing. I just don’t understand if some Auburn fans don’t see the hypocrisy of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

My post got lost accidentally refreshing so simply put, I agree. Don’t know anything about Ivey-Curry but he profiles more as a guy willing to just be a backup and complementary. Who knows how Dior profiles for a real team, but superstar talent that got whatever looks he wanted for a juco? That has a higher chance of leading to some discontent, personality wise. I’d just want someone safer and less domestic abuse-y

I have seen his highlights and saw him play against FAU and he was really impressive. I think he would be a great backup for Pegues. Dior is extremely talented, no doubt. But, like you, I can’t find myself rooting for someone like that. There are plenty of guards in the portal who have wayyy less baggage. I just don’t know what to think of this right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AUSCalum87 said:

I have seen his highlights and saw him play against FAU and he was really impressive. I think he would be a great backup for Pegues. Dior is extremely talented, no doubt. But, like you, I can’t find myself rooting for someone like that. There are plenty of guards in the portal who have wayyy less baggage. I just don’t know what to think of this right now.

I think Pearl is desperate for a real backup PG option and I don’t generally think he’s someone who cares a bit less than the average CBB coach about the moral part of the game. Some people may crucify me for that but just from what I’ve gathered following his Auburn tenure and some of the pre-Auburn stuff, I think he has a bit more edge to him, his staff and his processes. 
Which by the way, probably what you need to win. Saints don’t have championships in this sport; Self, Calipari, Pitino, they do. Oats went up against a juggernaut or he may have one. THOSE dudes get rings. But…there’s always a too far, and Dior Johnson is too far

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I think Pearl is desperate for a real backup PG option and I don’t generally think he’s someone who cares a bit less than the average CBB coach about the moral part of the game. Some people may crucify me for that but just from what I’ve gathered following his Auburn tenure and some of the pre-Auburn stuff, I think he has a bit more edge to him, his staff and his processes. 
Which by the way, probably what you need to win. Saints don’t have championships in this sport; Self, Calipari, Pitino, they do. Oats went up against a juggernaut or he may have one. THOSE dudes get rings. But…there’s always a too far, and Dior Johnson is too far

I understand being desperate for a point guard but there are so many other guards that don’t have that past and are skilled.

And yes, I agree, most big time coaches look past players’ transgressions because their main concern is winning at any cost. I’m with you, there’s character issues and then there’s these types of issues that you don’t even consider, in my opinion.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tiger720 said:

Yes, but do you hold that over his head forever? How do you know he haven't apologized for his actions and was accountable. We don't know if he showed remorse and regret. He could of been dealing with anger issues or mental illness. He may need some tough love and for someone to show that they care. He was 17 at the time. We all need people to show us grace.

Man. Some people's desire to win can cloud an overcome anything...

• Dislike 1

My hope is that Mr. Dior turns his life around and becomes a wonderful husband and father some day. I also hope he finishes his college career at some place other than Auburn University.

• Like 1

I mean it’s definitely a bad situation, however it was two years ago and they’re just college kids if the staff has evaluated him and really done their digging and feel like he’s changed then I’m all for him coming aboard because people deserve second chances. I don’t think pearl would allow any funny business in the locker room in terms of dynamic.  That’s just mY unpopular opinion 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Lotto said:

I mean it’s definitely a bad situation, however it was two years ago and they’re just college kids if the staff has evaluated him and really done their digging and feel like he’s changed then I’m all for him coming aboard because people deserve second chances. I don’t think pearl would allow any funny business in the locker room in terms of dynamic.  That’s just mY unpopular opinion 

Player discipline doesn't really seem like a strong suit for pearl. Flannigan didn't have it when he was throwing punches at practice. Aden didnt seem to have any discipline with showing up high to practice. KD had his moments. Most of the players, including Broome talk back to Bruce and the refs. CBM certainly didn't have much discipline. And on top of all that, i couldnt see any visible punishments handed out for most of it. Not much holding them out or lost playing time. I dont think what I see on the court lines up with your statement.

Edited by KansasTiger
  • Like 4

Late to the conversation but this is something where you don’t just look at Dior and simply say he has baggage. I’m always for looking for redemption in a person but this one is a tough one. He didn’t steal something, he physically harmed another person and it was a female at that and the story reads like the girl may have feared for her life at some point. That, to me, requires a longer road to redemption than it has been. Bringing him to Auburn brings that potential to Auburn and if I was a female I wouldn’t go near him. Has there been enough time for him to have truly changed his ways and seek forgiveness? Sure there has, but there hasn’t been enough time for people to necessarily forget and welcome him if they know about it. It’s a risky move to entertain the thought of considering him as a player. I hope Bruce knows what he’s doing because if any one of our current players have witnessed domestic abuse against their mother or sister when growing up, it could be rough. 

7 hours ago, KansasTiger said:

Player discipline doesn't really seem like a strong suit for pearl. Flannigan didn't have it when he was throwing punches at practice. Aden didnt seem to have any discipline with showing up high to practice. KD had his moments. Most of the players, including Broome talk back to Bruce and the refs. CBM certainly didn't have much discipline. And on top of all that, i couldnt see any visible punishments handed out for most of it. Not much holding them out or lost playing time. I dont think what I see on the court lines up with your statement.

Can’t disagree with anything that you said. He’s too much of a player’s coach it seems. Too loyal to players. It’s why, like you said, CBM continued his antics all last year and it finally bit him in the butt at the worst moment.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I'm sure the donors that intend on supporting the money making programs would find it very fair that they’re donating to others unrelated to their interests…

The donors are not supporting programs because of the program's money-making potential. If that were the case they'd simply donate the money directly to the school.

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

The donors are not supporting programs because of the program's money-making potential. If that were the case they'd simply donate the money directly to the school.

What would donating the money to the school do to get you players. You could donate a trillion dollars to the school, and if they can’t give the money to the players, you’d get outbid by literally everyone else. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

What would donating the money to the school do to get you players. You could donate a trillion dollars to the school, and if they can’t give the money to the players, you’d get outbid by literally everyone else. 

You just said this: "I'm sure the donors that intend on supporting the money making programs.....". You make no mention of getting players, just making money.

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 12:49 AM, KansasTiger said:

Player discipline doesn't seem like a strong suit for any coach at any team that is competing at a high level. You want discipline go hire a Tommy Joe Eagles clone and let him recruit and win eight games a year. Bryan Harsin would be an even better choice. This is not the military. These are immature children that you have to motivate to action. You do what is necessary and that requires you giving them power. 

Edited by Auburn93
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Auburn93 said:

Player discipline doesn't seem like a strong suit for any coach at any team that is competing at a high level. You want discipline go hire a Tommy Joe Eagles clone and let him recruit and win eight games a year. Bryan Harsin would be an even better choice. This is not the military. These are immature children that you have to motivate to action. You do what is necessary and that requires you giving them power. 

Correct to some extent, but it's a sad situation.

Bill Walton to Coach John Wooden: "You can't tell me how long to wear my hair."

Wooden to Walton: "No I can't William, but I can decide who is going to play on this basketball team. Practice starts in one hour. Get a haircut before then or don't come to practice."

Walton rode his bicycle to the nearest barber shop and came back in time, with a brand new haircut. From my memory of a passage in Wooden's book, They Call Me Coach.

• Haha 1

On 5/8/2024 at 6:44 PM, abw0004 said:

Johnson pleaded guilty to two misdemeanor charges in December 2022 for simple assault and strangulation, stemming from a September 5th incident in the same year where he struck a woman multiple times, causing bruising, and forcing her head into a bed, making it difficult for her to breathe. Johnson was suspended from the Pitt Men's basketball team during this period, but was reinstated after pleading guilty. Johnson was sentenced to a year of probation and required to complete batterer's intervention. Johnson took a redshirt in the 2022–23 season as a result.  Subsequently, the university announced in August 2023 that Johnson was no longer enrolled.  Shortly after, Johnson matriculated at Clarendon College, a community college in Texas.

Sounds like he might would fit in perfectly playing for Oats at bammer.

2 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

Yale knew perfectly well they could bait Mazara and they did and it worked. Pearl knew KD was an out of control turnover machine and still had him in the game in critical moments. 

Pearl has weaknesses that blueblood coaches tend to minimize. He gets a lot out of less talent than others, but getting over the hump in terms of tourney play is going to continue to be a challenge because of discipline... because that's when it's needed the most. 

4 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Yale knew perfectly well they could bait Mazara and they did and it worked.

Exactly! Had Mazara been benched for his foolishness earlier in the season the message may have stuck and we'd have been better off in several games, not just the Yale game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aucom96 said:

Yale knew perfectly well they could bait Mazara and they did and it worked. Pearl knew KD was an out of control turnover machine and still had him in the game in critical moments. 

Pearl has weaknesses that blueblood coaches tend to minimize. He gets a lot out of less talent than others, but getting over the hump in terms of tourney play is going to continue to be a challenge because of discipline... because that's when it's needed the most. 

You can't show me evidence that "blueblood coaches" discipline their players while Pearl does not. You are talking about coaching style, not whether a coach or not maintains discipline.

2 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Idk that discipline will work for CBM regardless. This was known when we got him. From things I've heard, and you can take it with a grain of salt idc, don't expect him to have learned anything from his ejection fiasco in the tourney either.

3 hours ago, Auburn93 said:

You can't show me evidence that "blueblood coaches" discipline their players while Pearl does not. You are talking about coaching style, not whether a coach or not maintains discipline.

I dont know about blue bloods but...I know if BP is disciplining his players, it ain't enough. 

• Like 1